• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Prim Rose Yellow

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Thought that is what color I wanted to paint the Bugeye. Sorry if I offend anyone but "Yipes"

I painted the bottom side of car and body from the doors back with base coat so car would have some paint for protection against moisture. I will color sand most off before the real paint.

But noway, It has alot of green tint to it. Anyone have there Bugeye orginal Primrose green they could post a phot of. I am wondering if they mixed it wrong at the PPG store. It is almost the same color a Zinc Chromate primer now

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I had my Bugeye in Primrose yellow. The color code was nothing like what the color was supposed to be. I ended up matching a picture to a paint chip.
72 Ford LTD pale yellow (not what they called the color) Probably something like buttercup but it was yellow, not green.
I went to a show and parked next to a Primrose yellow Bugeye where the owners ran up and said that MINE was the correct color and theirs was too green.
They used the paint code, I matched a picture to a fleet chip.
I ran into this when I recently wanted my 67 Sprite British Racing Green, I had the inside of the door with me to match the paint, the 1967 code was superseded so many times, it was now a Rover color and not even close.
Again I went through the chip chart in the sunlight and found a match but i did have the door with me.
Look at the 72/73 Ford sedan color charts. I no longer have that paint nor that Sprite.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Midgetspriteclub has a page under car specs that lists all the Sprite/midge colors and their paint spec. #. It shows pale primrose yellow as BMC # YL.12 and Dizler/PPG as 81499.
Good luck,
Scott in CA

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Is this what you are looking for?

Attachments

• 23631.jpg
    23631.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 483
OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
smaceng said:

Yes, wanting an orginal Bugeye color if possible. only have photos to go by. Is that a AHBE color?

I am going with chrome wire wheels and red line tires so the yellow needs to be very soft, buttery

Also "IF" I can find the correct blues I am going to to cover the seat bolsters in stone washed denim with small blue/yellow plad in seat inserts and white piping. The inside of doors will be same plad with denim on door pockets. (If I can get these colors right I may even go with Blue line tires)

Second choice is a tone of Red for interior. I know I am working with some tough colors but I can see them in my head. and of course third choice the standard black, not fond of saddles.

Dash will be a nice wood inlay. Remember this is a car I am fixing up for my wife so I want it "snazzzy"

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Another possibility for the PPG paint code may be 83517. I have that listed for my primrose MKIV (still in primer) in addition to the above quoted 81499 for the original YL-12.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
To my knowledge, both Primrose and pale primrose yellow were used.
My bugeye was originally Primrose yellow and I had paint mixed to match
the underside of the rear license plinth. It's a much more saturated and
butter color than the pale primrose yellow.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Glen_B said:
To my knowledge, both Primrose and pale primrose yellow were used.
My bugeye was originally Primrose yellow and I had paint mixed to match
the underside of the rear license plinth. It's a much more saturated and
butter color than the pale primrose yellow.

I am going to try and repaint bottom of the car in the next two weeks if weather will give me a break, I may paint a small piece of something and send to you in the mail to see how close it is to orginal if that is alright with you.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
I have a chip from a recent M/C leak. It's a 2" curl soft from brake fluid, but easily mailed if you like. Send me your address and I'll send a bit of toxic waste. What a deal huh?

toysrrus

Yoda
mightymidget said:
smaceng said:

Second choice is a tone of Red for interior. I know I am working with some tough colors but I can see them in my head. and of course third choice the standard black, not fond of saddles.

Hi There mightymidget,

I`ve seen quite a few MGTC/D, MGA, TR3 & Bugs in a really soft Primrose Yellow with "Dk. Burgundy Int. piped in White" as well as "Dk. Green piped in White". Striking Looking!!

My TR3 is a "Pale Beige" Ext. with a "Dk. Burgundy piped in White" Interior & Man, It looks "Great"!

You may want to contact "2Tall Custom Interiors" & see what he has to offer. "Great Guy" & does "Exc" work on "Custom Interiors" at reasonable costs.

Have Fun,

Russ

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I recently repainted the side of a primrose yellow 69 MGB. The car has mostly original paint and Sherwin Williams base clear was a very good match. I do not know if the MG and sprite colors are the same but it did match very well! bob

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I had a couple pale primrose cars with original paint back in the day, it is a pale yellow, not bright like you see on many cars these days, not orangeish or butterscotch yellow, not greenish, at the time I hated it, I wanted a red or green car (and in fact the one car got repainted red and the other green after a while), now with all the red and green cars running around, I have come to like the color. Can't help with a paint code, but that is my description of what it looked like.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Glen_B said:
I have a chip from a recent M/C leak. It's a 2" curl soft from brake fluid, but easily mailed if you like. Send me your address and I'll send a bit of toxic waste. What a deal huh?

Thanks Glen, receive paint peel today
WOW not even close to the paint I have