• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pertronix versus Crane ignition kits ?

christopherj

Freshman Member
I really appreciate the advise concerning replacing the
original Lucas EID distributor with a Pertronix model.
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any
of the models by Crane? The electrical end is my weakest
link. By the way, I have many years of experience as a
tool and die maker and my shop is directly accross the
street from my house. If any advise is needed concerning
milling, lathe, o.d. and surface grinding, etc.,I'll do
my best. Going into your local machine shop(or tool & die)
with a little knowledge usually helps from "getting raked
over the coals".

Chris

8NFord

Pertronix has a new series the "Ignitor II" that has more smarts in it. Basically it is able to adjust timing to match the motor rpm. As I understand it, the Crane unit while good is "older" technology.

My two pence worth is to go with the newer Pertronix system, which I will be shortly adding to my '77 "B".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

G

There was a previous post starting on 6/14/2003 that has considerable discussion on the subject of Pertronix vs Crane Ignition. Most favored the Pertronix. I have been running the Crane XR 700 for quite some time with good results. I still get instant starts using the standard coil.
Bob

G

I've run Crane on 2 cars now with good results. It is less sensitive to which coil you run with it. With the petronix use their coil, I've heard too many stories of them failing using stock or sports coils. Either is a big improvement over the stock points setup

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I've run Crane on 2 cars now with good results. It is less sensitive to which coil you run with it. With the petronix use their coil, I've heard too many stories of them failing using stock or sports coils. Either is a big improvement over the stock points setup

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee Chuck,

Don’t know about that, I hadn’t heard about any problems using the Petronix with the stock or any other coils. The only “potential” problem to be concerned about that I’m aware of is mixing and matching kits with ballast & none-ballast coils. But I would think that would be a problem regardless of what type of ignition system you have.

The important thing you need to do make sure of when you order the Petronix kit is to get the correct kit for your application and you shouldn’t have a problem. I truly believe that most of the problems folks have are related to this. As in my case I didn’t want to make any electrical or cosmetic changes under the bonnet of my 78B. So unless it’s been modified most later B’s normally run a ballast resister in line (or series) with the coil (1.5ohm). Some folks have upgraded the entire ignition system and might have bypassed the ballast resistor to use a standard aftermarket Coil (3.0ohms). To know for sure just measure across the coil with an ohm meter.

If ya don’t have a meter? Get one, it’s a cheap investment and every garage should have one. Radio Shack has cheap multi-meters (Volt, Current & Ohms) for about $10 to $15.

Personally I know a lot of folks swear by the Crane systems. But they don’t look stock and are slightly higher priced the last time I checked. Other than that the truth is – I really don’t know that much about them. But what I do know is that the Petronix Ignitor kit involved no drilling & mounting, was simple to install and when done you can’t tell it's even there.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

I've seen several Petronix failures, and the common denominator is they all used other than Petronix coils. The best MG mechanic I know won't install a petronix without their coil, had too many comebacks. I've also seen Crane shutter windows fail. The point I was making is that both are good products and you pays your money and you takes your choice

Bret

Yoda
That’s fair. I wasn’t saying that you where wrong Chuck, only that it was news to me. I’ve heard of several folks with the Pertronix Ignitor using a lot of different types of coils. From their old original Stock coil to the Lucas Sport coil.

Personally, when I upgraded mine with the Ignitor – I went with the Pertronix “Ballasted” Coil too. So I guess I could be wrong. But I figured that the old one might be suspect. So I may as well upgrade the coil too as I wanted a “new” & hotter coil. Safe investment regardless.

Anyway - when I first ordered my Ignitor & Coil for my 78B years ago, I was sent wrong items. I had to return both or I would have had to bypass the Ballast resister, to make them work on my car. Far from an expert, but I’m convinced that had I not known any better – I would have gone ahead and installed the incorrect parts for my application.

Don’t know exactly what kind of problems I would have had. But its’ probably reasonable to assume it wouldn’t have been good.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Ed Bell

Freshman Member
I know of a local shop that has installed the Crane set up in some cars. Now some are experiencing faulty tach reading in the high rpm ranges. Performance is good, but it seems to affect the electronic tach on some cars. I personllly installed the Pertronix in my MGA, and using a "Sport" coil, have been very satisfied. I especially liked the stock look, and easy installation!