• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OK, I did something dumb

walshja

Jedi Warrior
I had a bad squeak coming from both sides of the front of the car/suspension.

I took the wheels off and started pumping in grease into the 3 nipples on each side, and the squeaking went away on the passenger side, but still exists on the drivers side.

so I started all over on the drivers side, and I decided to clean off the 34 years worth of grease which was totally covering everything, I'm not kidding when I say there was a half inch of crap covering everything, you could not even make out what the parts look like.

SOOOO

I decided to give everything a good cleaning, went out and bought 5 cans of brake cleaner and small brish, and scrubbed everything down, and wow, it looks great, I can see all the parts, everything, looks great. no grease or dirt on anything !!

WELL

I then decide to read the instructions on my empty can of brake cleaning spray, which clearly says protect all rubber brake parts, which you can guess I protected nothing !! I was spraying everything, even the tie-rod ends.

do I need to worry?

btw, the squeaking is still there !!!! any thoughts on that as well?

joe

RocknTommy

The squeaking is usually from a tired dried out bushing.
As far as the brake clean goes, I would not fret too much on that. How many miles on the bushings and tie rod ends?
Sounds like you are due for some maintenance there from the amount of goop you had to clean.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Agree Brake cleaner is good stuff for a job like that.

Me thinks you need to do a front end rebuild to get rid of the squeeks.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had so much crud coating the front suspension I couldn't even tell there were bolts holding the spring pan to the a arms. See if you can pinpoint where the squeak is coming from. You might be able to take a spray can of grease and spray it into the area and move the car up and down. It might help for a while, or it may not.

Do you have rubber or poly bushings?

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think the squeak can come from a limited number of places.
Lower trunions, kingpin, upper bushings, tie rod end, shock shaft.
If it squeaks when the fender is pushed down, the most probable problem is the trunion or upper bushings. If it squeaks when turning, it's the kingpin. The tie rod ends usually don't squeak, but can get loose. If it's the shock shaft, the shock probably isn't working anymore.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
thanks everyone for the great feedback.

rockntommy, I'm not sure how many miles are on the suspension parts, but I am guessing it is mostly original, meaning 34 years old. the car has 39k miles on it, but there has been some work completed on the car, I just don't know what.

relieved to hear that me spraying 5 cans of brake cleaner will do no harm !!

Jim, I don't know if I have rubber or poly bushings, can this be determined by looking at them? will rubber be black and poly another color?

and Donn, I like the tests you listed. the car squeaks with up and down motion, I can go up to the car, push down and she will squeak. if I push the car from the side there is no squeaking.

looking at the suspension diagram
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29294#top

you think it could be #4a and #7 ?

again, looking at the diagram, this looks like an easy fix? yes?

seriously, thank you everyone, this board is invaluable !!

joe

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rubber is black and if orginal that's is. Fine for a street car.

34 years old, rebuild all the rubber check the shocks. the rest is prob ok as it has more to do with miles. Rubber goes away after long years, just its nature. Cheep rebuild.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
More likely #'s 11 and 7 but not so much 4a. By the time you get to #11, it's not trivial anymore but still quite doable. If there is much wear or looseness it might be worthwhile to consider the major rebuild kit.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
replacing 7 looks kinda easy, right?

but replacing 11, that involves compressing the spring, not hard, but not as easy as 7.

am I OK thinking #7 is an easy replacement? something I can do in a couple of hours with minimal tools?

can you tell I am scared !! lol

joe

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Joe, we have all done this and some of us many times. Not a big deal at all just go slow.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
one more question, do I need any special tools to do the rebuild kit? or will your basic tools suffice. I have all the 'normal' tool, just wondering if any pullers or things like that are needed.

gotta say, I am pretty excited about this job !!

joe

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Joe

If you are just going for 7 it is a very simple job (I would buy 5,6,7, 1a).

Be careful with 1a that it doesn't strip and place a floor jack under the a arm (3). Be sure to line the groove in properly for 1a to be accepted.

If you going for 11, then get the parts needed, but be for~warned that number 8 can be a trip to the beach with a sawzall.

RocknTommy

walshja said:
one more question, do I need any special tools to do the rebuild kit? or will your basic tools suffice. I have all the 'normal' tool, just wondering if any pullers or things like that are needed.gotta say, I am pretty excited about this job !! joe

Basic tools are all you need.
As for total rebuild kits, with rebuilt king pins etc.
Maybe someone can chime in here for the best deal.
Have fun, take your time and you will build a closer bond with your machine :laugh:

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Joe-Regular hand tools will be fine, but if you've got air tools...even better. Pick up a couple of cans of PB Blaster and start soaking the nuts and bolts. Inspect the rubber bushings for both the trunion area and where the a arms connect to the frame. If they're cracked, missing pieces, or look rotten go ahead and replace them.

I know what you're going through. A month ago I was in the same boat. You can check out what happened with mine here: https://www.jhorton3.net/suspension.html

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
hey Jim, thanks for the words of encouragement, that's exactly what I need to get this project started !!

I took a look at everything last night and the bushings are exactly as you described, they're all cracked.

also, this doesn't look like a difficult job at all, everything is right there, easily accessible, hopefully after soaking everything with some PB Blaster, it will all come apart easily.

while I was in there last night, I decided to check my brakes, as the drivers side squeals, and I discovered I'm missing the anti-squeal shims. do they come with brake pads, or do they need to be purchased separately? or are they even needed? (I guess the answer to that is yes, since mine are squealing)

joe

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One more key tool you'll need if you don't have it already. A gallon container of GoJo. You're going to get really dirty on this job.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
ahhahaha, already have that !!

BUT, my front suspension is pretty clean these days, remember my original question in this post . . . 5 cans of brake cleaner per side to clean everything up !! I could eat off my front suspension now !!! (but I won't)

joe