• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OK Fine ... try this one !

waveandwen

Country flag
Is the cross member for a MKI O/D gearbox different than the one for a non-O/D box ? I thought so, but Moss shows only one cross member for 62-67. The O/D box I obtained came with a cross member, however it seems identical to one removed from the car.

The rubber mounts seem to fit the gearbox fine, but the cross member mounting holes will not line up with the holes in the frame. Off by about an inch. Seems like alot of flex to be asking of the rubber mounts.

Different or not ?

Thanks, Dave.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Coss members are the same based on transmission - early transmission, early cross member; late transmission, late cross member....but it doesn't matter if it has an OD or not.

OP
W

waveandwen

Country flag
So, if the cross member to frame bolts are off by an inch, front to back, then you're saying you have to stretch the front engine mounts and the rear gearbox mounts to accomodate the inch that it is off. Do I have that right ?
Dave.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, I wouldn't think so...however there are several sets of holes around the cross member & its easy to line up on the wrong ones

OP
W

waveandwen

Country flag
Yes, there are several sets of holes in the frame. But, only one set of them have nuts welded on the backside to accept the cross member bolts. The other set of holes are just holes, no welded nuts.

Still off by an inch. I'll try bolting up again to be sure.
Thanks.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hmmmm...the bushings shouldn't be stretched...
At least we solved the real serious problem today.

OP
W

waveandwen

Country flag
Yes you did. Many Thanks. I can't say enough about you guys; friendly, knowledgeable and an invaluable resource.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Could the crossmember on the O/D unit be on backwards? That's the only way I know of to misalign the holes.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
True, Doc, the holes in both transmission crossmembers are in the same place - the main difference is bushings & stay rod.

OP
W

waveandwen

Country flag
I think I got it. The cross member cannot go in backwards. There is a gearbox steady rod that extends forward from the crossmember to a mounting location in the gearbox. Crossmember in backwards would have this rod extend backwards instead of forward to its mounting location.

The O/D and non-O/D gearboxes use the same crossmember, but not the same mounting holes in the frame. I was trying to align the crossmemeber with the holes in the frame from which I removed it. It needs to use the other, previously unused set of holes. There is a captive plate within frame box for the bolts. It had moved slightly and I did not see the threads for the alternate location. They are there, however, after forty years without a bolt located there the threads are quite rusty. I'll run a tap through them today and hopefully have it installed tonight.

Then on the road to test out the O/D. Wish me luck.
Dave.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
No, I wouldn't think so...however there are several sets of holes around the cross member & its easy to line up on the wrong ones

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO AGAIN!!