• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A ¼ fine square nuts

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
¼ fine square nuts. I cannot seem to weld the cage for the ¼ fine nuts. The metal might be too thin. Plus the square nut is too small by about 1/16 and will spin in the cage if not held from the back. I got my last batch from Moss, and it looks like they are the only one who sells the ¼ fine square nuts and cages. Has anyone found a different supplier?

Steve

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I recall punching a hole in the ears of the cages and "spot" welding within the hole. you can crush the tabs that hold the nuts to make them the right size.
Bob

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There was a post about 1-2 months ago regarding getting some better sized nuts at TRF.
I used the cages from TRF and was able to weld them on without problems.
Charley

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yes the nuts are small regardless of the source. The fix is to weld the cage on, with a bolt
in the nut, then squeeze the sides a little and mig two diagonal corners .Problem solved.
Mad dog

auprichard

Country flag
Actually, the nuts are not small regardless of the source. I recently bought a supply from The Roadstar Factory and they are the correct size.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I ran into issues both ways. I had to hand-make some larger square nuts to fit some cages, and I had to hand make some cages to fit some of the nuts. It was quicker than ordering and waiting to see if they came in the correct size!?!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T why would an intake manifold stud have both coarse and fine threads? Spridgets 8
GTP1960 A fine lookin truck. Other Cars 3
David Townsend General TR Garage Sale! Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 2
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! British Motor Corp 1
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Sunbeam (Rootes) 0
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Jaguar 2
David Townsend General TR Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Triumph 2
David Townsend General MG Annual Holiday Sale OnLimited Edition Fine Art Prints! MG 2
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On All Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Austin Healey 1
David Townsend GT6 GT6 and Spitfire Fine Art Prints Triumph 0
T MGB My '80 B used to shift fine MG 2
David Townsend General TR SALE! All Triumph Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Triumph 0
David Townsend MK I, MK II, Cooper S Limited Edition Fine Art Prints British Motor Corp 0
David Townsend Post-War Other Swallow Doretti Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 0
David Townsend GT6 GT6 MK1 and MK2 Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 4
David Townsend Spitfire Spitfire MKIII Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 0
David Townsend XK120 FHC Fine Art Prints Jaguar 4
David Townsend MGB 1975-80 MGB Roadster Fine Art Prints MG 0
David Townsend E-Type Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Jaguar 3
David Townsend BN7/BT7 Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Austin Healey 6
David Townsend BJ7 Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Austin Healey 3
J Starter works fine but car catches after you let off on the starter Austin Healey 14
H Spitfire Triumph starts just fine but Ignition is 'Off' and key is in my wife's purse. Triumph 6
jaegzie Disc brake upgrade was fine now major alignment issue. Spridgets 6
CJD TR2/3/3A Coarse Vrs. Fine Knock Offs Triumph 5
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Restoration & Tools 2
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Austin Healey 1
Boggsy64 MGB King Pins appear fine am I missing something? MG 3
T Doug Reid AKA Mr. Fine Spanner Austin Healey 7
Schroeders Any of you fine folks have 1275 shift lever FS? MG 2
V Fine tuning the 1275, with unknowns . . . Spridgets 5
S Started fine after 3 years!! Spridgets 8
WALTER fine tuning body work Spridgets 5
zimmy runs fine but wont start Spridgets 15
YankeeTR Injection is fine but I'd rather be.... Triumph 2
G A fine time to have a VOR..... Triumph 8
boxofparts Another fine MF designed product Triumph 2
W OK Fine ... try this one ! MG 10
jaybird There's a fine line between hobby and illness MG 17
K ran fine, now sputtering/backfiring at speed MG 8
G READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!! Restoration & Tools 3
G Hard starting, but then runs fine MG 6
D Wanted Square body LCS fuel pump Austin Healey Classifieds 13
D Wanted Wanted square body fuel pump Jaguar Classifieds 0
R Sprite Bonnet Badge 1962 Square Body Spridgets 1
R Luggage Rack for 62 Sprite [Square Body] Austin Healey 1
D TR4/4A square engine mount washer necessary? Triumph 6
A Square Body Sprite Starter Motor Issues Austin Healey 2
alanjohnturner TR4/4A pesky right-ange drives , square pegs, round holes Triumph 2
Tinkerman TR2/3/3A 1960 TR 3A square spier nuts on headlight assembly Triumph 2