• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

O.K. Boys , What's Your Choice?????

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good Evening Boys,
After nothing but problems with the last fuel pump I ordered, it's time to order the right pump.I've decided to order from Moss, so here's the problem.(You guys need this like a hole in the head.) My healey is a 1965 3000 mkIII number BJ8L28972.It is a original,pos. ground charging system.
Should I order the original point type fuel pump,or should I order solid state? Keeping it original means alot to me ,but I also want it to be dependable.What do you think boys?I value your opinions and thanks for your help.Have a good night.
Bobby R

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I went with the solid state one. For no particular reason.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
FWIW, IMHO...

I stayed with the points type original when I bought a new pump last year. Brit Bits I like to hear the clicking from the pump, it brings back good memeories, and some great stories about the times when the clicking stopped! That means something to me, maybe not to others, it's my car and it makes me happy.

That being said, if it's not clicking, I can get under the car and usually make it go. The points have their issues, you just have to be aware of what they are and be prepared to deal with them.

The technology is 50 + years old and I enjoy the fact that I can usually deal with the failures, and eccentricities of the technology. It makes me feel good driving (and repairing) it ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
My vote is for the modern solid state. One less thing to have to worry about. Plus it still has the clicking sound like the original.

I also recommend upgrading the points in the distributor to a Pertronix. One less thing to have to tune, it's invisible and problem free.

Nice thing about both units, is your car still looks stock.

Cheers,
Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
dar100 said:
I like to hear the clicking from the pump, it brings back good memeories, and some great stories about the times when the clicking stopped!
Hi Dave,
Not trying to change your mind, but my pump makes the noise of which you speak. A couple of glug glugs that slows then stops as the pressure comes up (assuming no fuel leaks). I have the SU solid state negative ground, Moss part # 377-255

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
My original fuel pump finally bit the dust last year. I replaced it with a solid state unit that looks and sounds just like the original unit. The installation was a snap. So far it has operated flawlessly. YMMV.
Randy '66 BJ8

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think your answer depends on your ability and willingness to deal with the issues that arise from 50 year old technology. If you are able (willingness I assume by your owning the car), let your preference for originality be your guide. Otherwise, this is not the kind of change that cannot be reversed.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Bobby,
Your car originally had an AUF301 pump which used a non polarity sensitive capacitor for point arc suppression. Later replacement pumps were the AZX series with diode point arc suppression & WERE polarity sensitive.

I believe the newer Moss #377-245 is electronic, no points, is polarity sensitive, positive ground. It is the closest to original in a modern pump. Since they still have the reciprocating diaphragms, they do still make a clicking noise.
D

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Gang,
Thanks for input and for the part numbers.I think what I'm going to do ,is go with the solid state and rebuild the original.A friend of mine told me not to throw away any old parts while putting the healey together, so this should cover the problem both ways.These Healeys can drive you crazy,but what a way to go! Thanks Gang,
Bobby R

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I like the clicking too. Especially when you are sitting at idle, just drove to a friends place of business to show it off, and all of a sudden the clicking gets real fast. You have about 20 seconds before you flame out. A working fuel gage really fills in for a memory that doesn't always (work).

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif and so does Agatha A Healey.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I tend to favor the good old stuff. Both Healeys and the MG have original style fuel pumps. The Triumph does as well, but it's a manual unit on the block. I recently bought a good old fashioned fuel pump to replace the modern square thing the PO put on my Sunbeam.