• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new kid on the block in Toronto

humoo

Freshman Member
Just thought I would post my first of hopefully many updates. i just got my 1977 MGB last nite. I am just outside of Toronto and was curious if there are other Canadian members from the same area on this board.

I am just trying to figure out what first steps to take with my "Project"...it desparately needs a paint job but it probably can benefit from some mechanical upgrades too (wipers don't work, horn doesn't work, etc.)..but it drives!
Any suggestions on where to start? thnx

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new toy! When troubleshooting I would look at the connections and fuses first. If all is good and the connections are clean and solid, then suspect the switches. Good luck.

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
I welcome you also -

Theres a thread in this very forum called "Returning a 75 MGB to Service" which deals with this very thing - not only is there some good info from other forum members, but there reference to an excellent article by Tony Barnhill ( The Autoist ) another forum member

go to his website:

www.theautoist.com

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Wiemerology" - Theres an article called "Waking a Sleeping MGB" - This is an excellent, methodical approach to making sure you've covered all the bases with a car which has been stored for a while, but it also is a great way to get to know your car and focuses on preventing damage by doing things in a rush -It WILL deliver you from evil -

Good Luck

Bob M

So, go now and skin no more ( Knuckles, that Is )

OP
H

humoo

Freshman Member
thnx for the quick responses and info. I'll chk the post and sites and let you know how things progress. Hopefully I can post a photo to let everyone know what my starting point is. thnx again

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif No longer in Canada but lived north of Toronto (Tottenham) for a while up until last year. Will be back regularly, though.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. Exactly where around Toronto are you? I am just up in Bradford but drive almost daily down to the Big Smoke.
As others have said, go to the articles mentioned. It is like a jig saw puzzle, everything goes together slowly.... and if you have a piece missing, restart.
I own a daily driver, 78 TR7.... Won't start, but getting closer I think, and a 74.5 MGB GT that will undergo rails rockers et al in the winter. At least it runs great, but no licence or Ins. this year. I just dropped an engine and an O/D Tranny in it from a 77 B, so I can hardly wait until next summer.
Enjoy your Toy.

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

I own a daily driver, 78 TR7.... Won't start, but getting closer I think,

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be an interesting daily commute! <g>

OP
H

humoo

Freshman Member
I am actually in the west end (Mississauga). It's only been one day but this site has been a great source of info and insight. Only problem is I have looked at the photos of the various cars (in the owners section) and I am so envious and hope I can get my baby to turn out have as well as some of the cars in there. Can't wait to get started. thnx for all the input.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Humoo,

Welcome! A former Ontario resident here, recently lived in Barrie for about four years then moved back home to Alberta again.

You should check out the MG Club of Toronto for "real-life" MG encounters as well, they should offer some support, don't have the website url handy but a google search should find it. Also the British Saloon Car Club of Canada is very active around Toronto and there are lots of MG's in membership along with the saloon cars - www.geocities.com/motorcity/7967

Oh yeah... also make sure you bookmark mid-September for a huge all-British car show in Bronte Creek Park (Oakville/Burlington town line), you'll likely see well over 1,000 British cars and possibly make some connections as well. Info can be found at www.torontotriumph.com

And also take in the breadth of advice here on BCF, the guys on here know a lot.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I own a daily driver, 78 TR7.... Won't start, but getting closer I think,

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be an interesting daily commute! <g>

[/ QUOTE ]

I live up hill from Toronto. I pick up rolling speed through the Marsh, then glide the rest of the way down to the lake. Getting home is a little tougher.
Guess I should have said, "Daily driver up to last week."
Paul