• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A My daughter takes a rock to my TR3

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Last night my 22 month old daughter found a lava rock in my other daughter's bike bag, and started hiting/scraping it on my TR3. We looked up and she had put about 20 scrapes into the front passenger fender! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

What made me more upset was that my wife was totally unfazed by it, and took the stance of "she's just a 22 month old, she doesn't know what she's doing."

And I lent my random orbital polisher to my friend, so I can't even get out any of the scratches right now. Some are totally through the paint.

I feel like throwing up.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thats terrible news Sammy, very sorry to hear it.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Sam,
Mothers are very protective - defensive of their children. Just the way it is. Don't let it become an issue. I used to get upset when one of my daughters spilled food or other junk all over the inside of the car. Finally gave up to keep my sanity. Wait till they get old enough to drive & total one of your pet cars.

You have my sympathy on the fender, but repainting will fix it. Damaged relationships are much harder to repair.
D

Dugger

Your insurance should cover a good portion of that. Mine did. My son at 3 decided that his toy (HotWheels) car needed a different road course and the fenders of our MKIV Spit were just the right hieght. He did not just get one side, his course made the entire loop around the car several times before we discovered his antics. I think what made it worse was it was my fault that he even got to the car. Since we were cooking out, I had left the garage door ajar, and he wandered in while I wasn't looking. We were about to sit down at the table, when my wife asked "Where's Matt?" I said, "Isn't he inside..Didn't you get him out of the sand box?" "NO!!!" Crap! He had a great time. I didn't. My wife said basically the same thing. But it was fixed later and people are worth more than cars anyday.

Now Matt is 22 years old and he never hesitates asking to take the TR for a spin to the local hangout - this is a serious grey hair maker.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
What made me more upset was that my wife was totally unfazed by it, and took the stance of "she's just a 22 month old, she doesn't know what she's doing."

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta side with your wife; your daughter is only 22 months old.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
Things can be fixed, broken hearts can't be!

Its sad and I feel your pain, but she less than 2. A car cover may be in order...

R6MGS

Yoda
I think I just decided not to have kids.......At least she didn't touch the Vette

Zack

G

Oh man that sucks, I think I'd be on the ground crying. Yes she's only 2 so you can't blame her but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I've been waiting for one of my kids to do something like this since they were born. So far I've dodged the bullet with my daughter (she's 6 and knows better) but the little guy is still only 21 months, so you never know what ideas are rolling around in that seemingly innocent little head.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Yeah, that was more the point, that it would have been easier to swallow if there was a little sympathy in the room.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sammy B, Thanks to the wife for the verve to put things in the correct perspective and if you forget once in a while,try to remember that very cherised place in the corner of your heart,for a 22 month old baby girl.---Keoke

Earl

Twenty years ago my brother age 16 had just finished restoring a 58 MGA. The car was the product of two years labor and was beatuful. A couple of days later after a nice gentle rain we discoverd the next door minister's 2 year old son have the time of his life watching the water run off the MG as he pounded the fender with a rock. My brother still gets a little emotional about that.

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Around 10 years ago I spent 8 months to restore a TR6 to what I felt was the best looking car around. Less then a week after I finished the paint job, my 7 year old opened the door from my wifes car onto the side of it, removing paint and denting the body. From that day on I restore my cars to be 10 footers, it doesn't hurt so bad when someone accidently dings it. I feel your pain and I'm sure we'll all give you some sympathy. Sorry !!

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I know its not as rare as the TR3 but my 2 year old son took a 10mm box wrench to our E36 M3 a week after we bought it...I shook the pillars of heaven, with my ranting till my wife took him out of the garage, But not before a "Well werent you watching him/" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Im sorry to hear that it happened, I have learned to keep a better watch on the happenings in the garage.
Good luck

G

Looking at your stable of cars, I would say that the wife looks at this as sweet revenge. I feel that this is grounds for divorce. But how do you ground a 22-month-old? I feel for you, man. Oh, and by the way, never lend tools! That's how you lose friends.

Bill

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I feel your pain. Reminds me of the time a few years ago when my lovely wife was charged with starting my 67 XKE once a week. This was to keep the fluids flowing while I was on a remote assignment in Greece. On one occasion she pushed the starter button without depressing the clutch - you guessed it - the car was in gear and jumped forward into another car parked in front of it. It did about $700 damage to the nose of my recently painted Jag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
Yes. we're still married /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Basil

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I'm doing better this evening, mostly because my daughter has been running around the house smiling and saying DADDY DADDY DADDY...I obviously don't hold it against her. She didn't know she was doing anything wrong.

Then I got a call from a friend who needed advice about dealing with the Lemon Law and his Infiniti (which keeps having major issues.) At the same time he mentions that two weeks after his dad had a heart attack (and quadruple bipass)his mom had a stroke. (Both only 70 years old.)

Puts it all in perspective.

But being the car guy I am, what really helped me was a 20 minute drive today in a 2005 Viper (one of 50 Yellow Fever Viper Club of America SRT-10 special editions.) Nothing like a 500hp romp to clear the head.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Sell the daughter for scientific experimentation and sleep in the TR3!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't feel too bad, a couple of years ago my neighbor's son's decided to take my example of waxing my car out on they're dad's brand new Honda. They just used mud instead of wax! They got the hood and most of the passenger side before he caught them. Holy smokes did they tear up finish! My daughter is only 6 months old right now, so I guess my Stag is safe for now...

G

[ QUOTE ]
But being the car guy I am, what really helped me was a 20 minute drive today in a 2005 Viper (one of 50 Yellow Fever Viper Club of America SRT-10 special editions.) Nothing like a 500hp romp to clear the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy Sam, we think in similar terms. When I'm feeling a bit off I try to weasel a drive in my friends 400+hp Supra. I tell my wife I'm saving her money since that is the equivalent of a trip to the therapist for me and all it's costing is a few bucks for gas. WHen I get home that you-know-what eating grin is on my face for the rest of the day and I feel much better.