• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lots to learn

cmac75TR6

Freshman Member
Hey folks...just joined and thought I'd say hi! I FINALLY got my machine...it's a 1975 TR6, and I figured I'd better get it while I'm still single and have little-to-no responsibility. It's been in storage for 15 years, but is all original...76,000 miles, working overdrive. There's some cosmetic rust to deal with, but the floors, bonnet and boot compartments, and the frame are all fantastic. She's running rough, and best of all I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!!! The snow's flying today in Toronto (Car's actually at my parent's place in Ottawa...good thing cuz I'd probably quit my job to work on it if it were here...then how would I pay for parts?!) so I'll likely have to wait until spring to do anything substantive with it. I think the starting point will be a tune up and a new exhaust.

If anyone's got some advice from a beginer's perspective, I'd love to hear some words of encouragement! Bottom line: I'm happy with the car and really looking forward to learning about them.

Cheers.

-cm

Attachments

• 91768-SIDE.jpg
    91768-SIDE.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 96

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Hi - glad you could make it. A couple of pointers:

1. Don't assume that because you are single that what material items you own will actually be there in five years after you get married. I did exactly what you're talking about before I got married - fly rods, kayaks, mountain bikes, etc. Yes, I was married and took these items with me, but I very soon began to realize that 'your' space to store these items become smaller and smaller.

2. Keep your receipts for items and services that you spend on the car, but never, never, never, never, never add them up.

Welcome aboard.

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Congratulations and welcome to the group. My suggestion is to keep your enjoyment foremost. Some of us want our cars to be the fastest or the most perfect modern update or the most original or perhaps a very reliable daily driver. You'll turn it into the TR6 you want as time goes on, and that's the right one for you, regardless of what the rest of us think. In any case, this is the forum for you, as the group here holds huge combined knowledge and members offer what they can the without egocentric vitriol of many message boards.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Cmac,
a nice fun car.
As you say you expect to leave it until the Spring to do any work and as you say "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!!!", then a book on basic car engineering will help pass the winter.

Good luck

Alec

OP
C

cmac75TR6

Freshman Member
Hadn't thought about the reduction of space for material possessions once hitched! A good reason to avoid such an arrangement!

Thanks for the replies!

To any Canadian memebers: any ideas on parts? Do you order direct from suppliers, or through a local shop? Are there suppliers with warehouses in Canada? Just wondering how to best avoid duty charges on cross-border shipping.

-cm

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
Marriage "ALWAYS" ends one of 2 ways,....either Death, or Divorce.

Neither is very appealing to me.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
To any Canadian members: any ideas on parts? Do you order direct from suppliers, or through a local shop? Are there suppliers with warehouses in Canada? Just wondering how to best avoid duty charges on cross-border shipping.

-cm

[/ QUOTE ]

CM;

I'd suggest joining the Toronto Triumph Club I'm sure there are lots of friendly, helpful fokes there.

In terms of places to buy parts in Canada; there are lots of choices. Again join the club and they can help you out on local parts and service vendors. There are quite a few in southern Ontario: Obsolete Automotive, Precision Sportscars, Penninsula Import Auto Parts to name a few. Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I second Marks suggestion; join the TTC!
I have been a member for about 15 years, good group, lots of help and local knowledge.
For a parts source try Fred at British Auto Sport, 905-678-6479. Also Obsolete Automotive, Mike, in Point Edward.
Various other sources have used parts and panels if needed.
Welcome and good luck!
Simon.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Welcome cmac to a great site!! If you cant get an answer here then the question was not propperly composed!! I would like to burst you're bubble on the "cosmetic rust" you mentioned. There is no such thing!! It comes from the inside and indicates a problem that should be addressed sooner than latter. Manny a fine car has been ruined by metal worms, so be warned, it is often much worse than it looks!!! Problem areas should be cleaned from underneath and inspected. If dirt and sand reveal perforation at least treat it with neutralizer and sealer to retard the rate of rot.....
MD(mad dog)

OP
C

cmac75TR6

Freshman Member
Not to worry, no bubbles bust on either the rust, or the death fronts! Both seem inevitable!!!

Great leads on the parts and the TTC! Thanks for the quick posts...great to hear from all of you!

-cm

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Welcome aboard. Its always nice to see another TR owner join up. My advice is to hide the TR before you get married that way your wife will never know about it and won't be able to tell you to sell it.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I'm a semi newbie with a TR3 but also had/(still have) lots to learn. I've gotten lots of good advice from the folks here. However, I'm not new to marriage or lil' lost mechanical puppies (read old sad little cars) that needed a nice home and TLC. After many years my wife realized that it was part of who I am, that it kept me out of bars and other ladies and I still loved her and my kids. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
When you settle on a place, make a place for your hobby part of the criteria so you and she will stay happier. That part I didn't do initially but have now.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome!

I found buying at a local shop was cheaper than paying all the currency conversion and duty fees. You have to plan ahead though as they bulk order so it takes longer. Also they did seem to get the order wrong an aweful lot though.

Interestly I'd bought LBC shortly after each of our kids was born so marriage and rusty old heap cars can co-exist (sort of)

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome! Yes, the members of this forum know alot about alot... not just the cars. And yes, they are willing to share the knowledge. Regarding "your" space... not only does your space shrink but very often her projects become your projects as well. I go out to work on the car and before long I'm helping to trim the trees, rake the yard, and the list goes on. Actually I like my wife and do like to spend time with her but it does cut into time on the car. Only a few times does she complain because her car isn't ready. T.T.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I'm not all that knowledgeable about TR6, but have "been there, done that" with the exciting new old car purchase. Congratulations!

I'd strongly recommend looking at safety issues before anything else. Start with confirming that the entire brake system is in good, working order. Next, check out the steering. The whole drive train should be inspected from front to rear, for any looseness at universal joints, etc. (I just removed a TR4 driveshaft and found 6 of the 8 bolts loose!). Next look over the tires and suspension.

If you are not experienced with these items, find someone who is and pay them for an hour or two spent inspecting these things and advising you about any necessary repairs.

The lighting system should also be inspected to be sure everything works properly.

If the car has been sitting for a while, the carbs may need cleaning and rebuilding.

A general tune-up is a good idea, especially valve adjustments, timing and new spark plugs, possibly other ignition system parts, as required.

Has the engine's compression been tested? This can really advise you of overall condition and help detect problems early on.

Consider replacing rubber hoses and fan belts, if you don't know the last time they were renewed.

Also lube all chassis points and change all fluids, unless you know for certain the last time this was done.

It's a good idea to keep some spares in your trunk, just in case. Some of the hoses and ignition parts you take off and replace might be good enough to hang onto for emergency roadside repairs.

The really fun part is polishing, waxing and detailing the car in and out. Then take it for a spin! Enjoy!

OP
C

cmac75TR6

Freshman Member
Thanks Alan....that's a great check list....indeed I was wondering where to start! The car was in storage for a long time, so I'll probably end up doing everything you mentioned and more!

Winston

Jedi Trainee
Welcome to the fold.

Listen to what mad dog recommends. When you look back through the posts you'll find alot of heartache and alot of ingenuity as it relates to cosmetic rust.

Drive backwards at high speed at night!

R6MGS

Yoda
There are many places in the GTA where you can get parts but I still prefer to go through Moss motors, most of the suppliers around here get there stuff from places in the States anyway. Unless your in a jam and need the parts quick I tand to stick to MOSS. British MGB Spares in Milton used to be pretty good but I heard the owner died last summer. British auto Sport is pretty good also. My dad also has all kinds of old TR6 stuff around so if your having trouble finding something feel free to send me a PM.

Zack

Mental

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a semi newbie with a TR3 but also had/(still have) lots to learn. I've gotten lots of good advice from the folks here. However, I'm not new to marriage or lil' lost mechanical puppies (read old sad little cars) that needed a nice home and TLC. After many years my wife realized that it was part of who I am, that it kept me out of bars and other ladies and I still loved her and my kids. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
When you settle on a place, make a place for your hobby part of the criteria so you and she will stay happier. That part I didn't do initially but have now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also a noob, but I have been the german nut for a little time now. The above advice is dead on. My wife likes knowing that when I'm not around, she can wander out to the garage and there I am.

Cars and Dogs are excellent way to screen potential mates. If your dog doesn't like her, and she doesn't like the car (or the bike) She'll not like you after a while.

OTH if your dog tends to curl up at her feet, and she says things like "It's such a pretty day, lets take the Triumph"
THAT's a keeper.