• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lots of stuff on ebay!!!

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I do my daily ebay search and found an abundance of nice steering wheel covers, some beautiful animal print floor mats that "fit TR3", 10-15 varietys of car covers and every color of the rainbo in brake caliper paint to "fit TR3" . Scrolled though 5 pages before the first real TR3 item showed up. I reported every single item to ebay as a duplicate listing which is against ebay rules. Hopefully others will join in to get this Junque out of the listing, by hitting the report this item and completing the drop downs. If they get enough complaints at ebay to deal with, maybe the will run off the perpetrator. It took a little time to report each item at least once but ... I'm retired. Anybody else fed up enough to report them too?

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Last night I got an official looking ebay email, but it wasn't from ebay. 2 weeks ago I bid on a car but didn't win. I know the car and the seller very well. The car sold 2 weeks ago. It's gone. The email I get is supposedly from the seller(someone I know) offering me a second chance to buy the car with an email to respond to.... Problem was, even thou it was the sellers ebay name, it wasn't his email address. A quick call to the seller confirmed my suspicion. Not him. So how did this scammer get my ebay name and my email address? A report to ebay resulted in a form letter basically stating thank you for reporting the obvious scammer, yada yada yada, we appreciate it, protect yourself, don't open any emails from ebay without first checking on "my ebay" to see if ebay sent the message. If I didn't know the seller and the car, I would have been very tempted to fire off the money and go to try and pick up the car. Right here is where I wish I could spill my guts about how I really feel, but I'll leave it alone. Watch yourselfs.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't know, but I'm guessing it was your buddy that got hacked in some way, rather than eBay. There seems to have been a definite uptick in the number of account hijacks in the past few months. Many people use the same password for everything, so if the hackers get into one account, they've got access to all of them.

This is at least an example, if not necessarily related:
https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technolo...mbinations.html

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
E-bay is becoming like the local auto parts store, they ask what the item fits for the item description, the big vendors of the junk listed say there junk fits everything, so when you search "Triumph TR3" you not only get items with those words in the listing, but all the crap these vendors listed, I sent a note to someone persistently iisting an oxygen sensor for a TR250, I told them the car didn't not have anything of the sort, got a polite reply, they kept right on listing them.

E-bay seems to sort of be trying to squeeze the little guy with a few parts to sell out in favor of the vendor or importer with 100s of trinkets from "cheaplaborville" which is really a shame as it was a really nice 'community' where you could trade with people of similar interests when it started, still is to some extent, but lots more big vendor automated garbage on there.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: The original post. Thanks for pointing out a way to respond to E-bay about someting that drives me nuts too. I will start taking such time as I can to report the duplicate listings.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="color: #003300">I've been reporting the "Fits TR3" jerk for several months to no avail.....SO.... I worked my way to the advanced search page, Typed in Triumph TR3 in the TITLE box, listed all the junk words in the WORDS TO EXCLUDE box,(fits, cover, paint, etc), asked for the search to be eBay Motors only instead of all categories & down at the bottom of the requests page, asked for NEWLY LISTED FIRST so I wouldn't be looking at yesterdays stuff again. Once I entered my request the search would start. If I forgot a word to exclude, I'd go back using the back button to the request page and add "sticker" (or whatever). Once I got the search sans the junk I didn't want, I copied the address and saved it to a Notepad or Wordpad file on my desktop. Next time I want to see what's new on eBay I just copy & paste the info onto the address box on my browser. Try it! </span></span>

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's been THE main reason I rarely go on eBay anymore.
I went to check for parts for our '95 Dakota,punched in "1995-
Dodge Dakota",& came up with over 13,000 items.
I'm glad to hear that there's a way to report this kind
of stupidity/greed - but I'll bet they won't do anthing about it.

- Doug

OP
Kleykamp

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I noticed today that several of the items I had reported had been taken off...I'm sure temporarily, but it does show that the "report item" link does function. I reported several more items. The only thing I did notice is that one guy changes just a few words in his add so it technically is not a duplicate add,even though it is exactly the same thing. It was alot cleaner than yesterdays listings. If it's made as much of a problem for ebay as it is for us, they will get it stopped. I'm now stepping off my soap box.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have learned a lesson from E-Bay, SECOND CHANCE! To my E-mail. It was a $2000 to good to be true jet ski that I had bid on and lost. After sending the money the seller vanished. (the scammer seller) This happened 6 years ago and I am VERY CAUTIOUS about any thing I buy on E-Bay.