• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking for Pics of behind Grille/Bracing,Crossmembers for an early '58 BE Bonnet

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I was taking a look at Bugsy II's bonnet. Still bolted down to the car but noticed some immediate differences in shrouding between the BE Bonnet I had on Bugsy I vs. what I've got on Bugsy II. It could be that I've got an early '58 Bonnet before some additional reinforcement was added up front. Or it could be that when Lower Valence was replaced some rusty metal got cut away. Side panels alongside used to direct air to the radiator are cut at a 45 degree angle vs. the 90 degree angle that I had on Bugsy I.

Anyone got some pics that show the difference between early BE Bonnets vs. later BE Bonnets. At this point curious as I am intending to front hinge at the nose and want to make sure existing structure can suport being front hinged.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure but based on Pics I just might have. I believe I am missing the ducting that funnels air to the radiator. Now i'm looking at it through the grille Bonnet is held on for transport with two bolts through locking rod locations and I cannot raise it right now. I need ot spend 10 minutes and get the bonnet off of hte car and see WTH I have. Just a quick look however says this may indeed be an early '58 bonnet. Time to send a note to Nick and ask a quesiton on that subject to see if he knows..

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Note Sent to Nick, awaiting feedback to see if he is aware. Based on the feedback and paperwork on this car, it appears I may be the 3rd owner at a real 24k miles.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor, thanks for the pics. I had seen these before but never had the need to look at the detail.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim
I seem think in your original pics that the lower valence looked like it had been replaced?

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Here's what I got back from Nick this PM. I have no idea if the bonnet is original or not. It was on the car when I got it. And the seller gave me the extra blue hood as well. That’s where the lower section came from and I think also the vents, etc.
And everything you have is what I got. I never really bought anything since I never got out of the fix the body stage.

I'll take a look tonight but I may have a hybrid bonnet with parts and pieces from an early '58 Bonnet welded in. So if anyone is in the market for an early '58 Bonnet and wants to trade me for a finished BE Bonnet...I'll take a closer look tonight if I can find a few minutes and post some pics.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well pretty definitive I've got a early '58 Bonnet Front grafted on to a 59 Bonnet. The whole front + lower valence was cut off about 1" above the Grille right above the lower valence seam. The 58 bonnet grille and lower valence was separated and cut so there is about 2" of metal and it overlaps the bonnet all of the way across. Unfortunately the entire grille area and lower valence was simply task welded in place and never finish welded. I am going to need to stitch weld not only the rear quarters but also around the entire front end. This needs to be finished. I can see it in the old days simply tack weld in place every 2" grind down the seam and throw a glob of bondo over the top. I'd never know the difference otherwise. So I know now as it stands I cannot forward hinge the bonnet without repairs and complete the welding/grinding to follow. Likely will be difficult to weld and grind the area under the inside lip of the grille area. Probably need to add more tack welds in there and them uses some seam sealer. As far as inner panels on the area where shroud would line up with radiator to push air to the proper places. Unsure if the area there could support a front hinged bonnet without reinforcement. Anyone using an early '58 Bonnet with a front hinge? I'll need to wait until this weekend for pics. Thoughts gentleman?

Country flag
Jim, I have a '58 bonnet that has been modified for front flip. I'm going to rework it, as it was a crap job done by me when I thought I was just going to use the bug for autocross. I'll try to get the car down tomorrow and take some pictures.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Trevor, My biggest issue at this point is making a decision on how to fix the two pieces of the bonnet that were grafted together. Is it going to look right, and stay right, after lots of bondo need to go over the top to smooth things out. Before I start stitch welding to close up all of the seams. I've got a guy in my office used to be big time into building hot rods commerically and doing custom paint jobs before he needed to retire from that field due to health issues with his lungs, a note to DIY Painters. Going to see if he has time to chat this PM and maybe come over to take a look first hand on how best to fix.

Country flag
Years ago when my dad got back into the street rod building scene I purchased him a fresh air breathing system and he took the hint and started using appropriate suits and respirators for all his work.

I think I can get those bonnet pictures in about an hour or so...

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor, Here is a picture through the grille opening. Bonnet is down and you can see the diagonal back brace runs at a 45 degree angle not lining up with the radiator. 2013-04-22 18.44.25.jpg

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
2013-04-22 18.44.11.jpgI also attached a picture of the front grille area. You can see the seam, above the grille opening where the bonnet front was cut out of the '58 Bonnet and grafted on top the '59 bonnet. This cut also runs about 1" above where lower valence normally is welded together. I need guidance on how best to fix and clean up the seam so it does not show.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That's not bondo under the seam that's Green Aircraft Preservation Primer/ I beleive it is likely a weld through Primer but have not tried that yet. Other than cleaning up the grille area and cleaning out the Fender Beads bonnet is really in pretty good shape overall. Surface rust as paint started to be removed and then it was never repainted. It sat inside for 28 years but there is surface rust on part of the bonnet.

Country flag
Basically, I ran a bit of 1/2" angle iron between the buckets (near where the later style airbox sits) then two more bits of iron from the cross piece down to the bottom. Then welded in a bit of sheet metal for the sides. All a bit of a hack job. Oh, and I added another bit down to the corners for added rigidity. The overall design is ok, but the execution is crappy.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I ran into that issue when I relocated the Oil Cooler for Bugsy I to accommodate the BE Bonnet. There isn't a whole lot of room in there and things need to be closely aligned to make them fit. Trevor, can you send me those pics separately to jamesgruber@sbcglobal.net. I'm having trouble opening and viewing those pics.

So any comments on finishing out the welding, making it look right after all is done. Looks to me like I need to go out and invest in a new spool of wire and another tank of gas for the MIG. Neighbor down the street offered up access to his TIG. A Big commercial TIG pulling a full 60 Amps. His house only has 100 map service so priorities are in order. Would mean rolling Bugsy II down the drive( no brakes at this point or driveshaft installed) to about a block down the street and put Bugsy II in his garage for welding. Can I do this with a MIG and lots of grinding?

Country flag
See if these show up...

Attachments

• inner2.jpg
    inner2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 54
  • inner.jpg
    inner.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 53