• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Looking at a TR4 tomorrow. --Up-dated with pics!!

billh1963

Country flag
Looking at a TR4 tomorrow. --Updated with pics!!

It's an early one that supposedly has a rebuilt engine, frame, suspension, etc. The body is off the frame and is claimed to be reasonably straight and rust free. The body needs to be restored. It's a basket case, of course.

If everything is there what do you think is a fair price? I'll take pictures tomorrow.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Re: Looking at a TR4 tomorrow. Thoughts on price?

I think we'd need a *lot* of pictures to even take a stab at a price. And keep in mind that price and value aren't always the same.

How much work do you want to do, and what do you want at the end of the process? Need to consider that along with whatever "price" you might make at a possible sale.

Tom

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

As my mechanic friend always said. Hold it up next to the phone so I can see it. Good luck as there are so many variables.

PeterK

Yoda

Ask for the receipts for the rebuilt engine. Assume it's not and/or needs it again.

You'll never know if all the parts are there until you put it back together. So assume to have to hunt down some things.

Check the frame! Use a small hammer and tap around everywhere. If it thuds, there's rust.

It's not a car, just parts for a car, so start low, maybe $500, more if the body was good since that's where most of the work goes. $1500 is probably a fair price.

Expect to find a lot of imperfections/opportunities that you didn't see before you bought it.

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee

Lets see the pictures first. I've bought several basket cases and must be honest, I always had intentions on restoring them, but found to many unknown surprises with them. I've always ended up using them for parts or selling them unfinished. So with that in mind, I always priced them as a parts car only. I'd say, price this as a parts car only and if it turns out that you restore it, all the better. But if you find to many surprises, you can at least get your money back in parts. Consider the engine rebuilt, but without hearing it run, it's still a gamble. How good was the engine rebuilder and is it warrentied. Good luck.

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag

The seats are recovered, some new parts go with it (carpet kit, rubber seals, etc.), etc. I'll post pictures this afternoon.

I'm definitely treating this like a parts car/basket case and will go from there. My heart/mind just isn't in for a full blown restoration so I'll evaluate first and go from there.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Always a good question to ask: Why is the guy selling it?

If the engine, frame and suspension are (really) rebuilt, and the seats are recovered, and there are new carpets ... but the body and frame are apart ... why is it for sale?

Is the engine correct for the car?

There are many "ready for resto" cars on the market, where the seller says "I've got too many projects and just don't have time to finish". Think about that.

Tom

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag

Checked out the car this morning and it was more complete than I thought. The engine supposedly starts and runs good. I wasn't able to drive it. The frame looks solid, the body panels are solid, and it looked like many of the parts were there. The dash is crap and most of the switches, gauges, etc. should be replaced. the tires are new...although they seem big to me. Three wire wheels are include; but, no adapters. New items included are miscellaneous trim bits, carpet set, and badging. Here is a link to my a photobucket album I set up...

TR4 pictures

So, in your esteemed opinion what is it worth?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Bill - a quick followup. In your first post (last night), you mentioned the body is off the frame. But now ....

Was there a "midnight assembly" done?

Did you get paper verification of the engine rebuild?

Tom

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag

Hi Tom,
I misunderstood what he had said. The body had been removed to redo the frame. The body has been on for quite a while, I think.

There is no proof of an engine rebuild. I believe I would have to give it the benefit of the doubt as potentially a good runner...but, I'm going to value it as rebuilt.

PeterK

Yoda

It actually look pretty decent. If you drove over their in your Porsche, he'll want more.

Still lots of work to do. There's a difference in what I would pay and what I think it's worth. I'd try to offer $1500 but pay $2500 top, probably worth +-$3500 since it looks complete.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Bill - looks pretty good to me. There's always surprises tho'.

Why is the guy selling a TR4 that's so "close" to being finished?

Tom

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I agree with Peter, as to price. Give a hard look under the fenders; why are the front ones not attached to the car? This TR4 is in a little worse condition to that of my '3 when I got it. It's probably more labor time than anything else to go through it, not including paint/bodywork/upholstery...

If you can handle that, go for it! I would!

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag

He's wanting $2500. He's an older guy who bought it from a friend who was having health issues. The current owner does not have the desire to finish it up.

I think the panels are loose because the body was basically set back down and that was it. The original plan was to apparently pull off the body for a complete respray. The owner has been quoted $4-$5K for the body work and paint and he doesn't have that kind of money.

I'm debating if I have the heart to buy into this or not. I've been down this road before and I am so anal about things being "right" (it's the engineer in me) that I would probably spend way too much money and energy than it might be worth.

The basically rust free body is encouraging so that is a positive aspect of all this. I forgot to see if the transmission has O/D and the owner doesn't know.

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag

PeterK said:
It actually look pretty decent. If you drove over their in your Porsche, he'll want more.

Drove over in something else. The Porsche sends the wrong message sometimes.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

I would take another look at the panels, especially those in primer, as you may already know they rust along the bottom of the rockers and fenders, but also the top of the rear fenders and rear deck area where it meets the fenders, maybe take a magnet or one of those "spot rot" indicators and see if these are bondoed up or metal.

If it is indeed rust free it might be worth close to the asking price, but I would offer two grand or less.

If it is supposed to start I would see if you can start it as well, or at least see if it turns over on the starter or by hand. The motor doesn't look like they put a lot of effort into clean-up if it was in fact rebuilt, hate to be cynical but it seems like a lot of projects sitting around have had the "engine rebuilt"

Luckily TRs are robust and fairly straightforward to rebuild in the motor/tranny department.

It doesn't look like a bad car to start with, but of course plan on doing pretty much everthing to it, interior, exterior, brakes, drivetrain to some extent to be determined.

Looks to be fairly complete, from the pics I don't see anything that scares me off, if it turns out there is a lot of bondoed up rust on it I might rethink that though.

Big Healeys are brining whacky money these days, I think people are starting to realize TRs are very much a bargain in comparison and the prices will tend to go up, which of course makes for a better argumement when you have the "its an investment" conversation with the wife.

Greg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

I'd be curious as to why the hood and doors appear to be from a different car. Doesn't look like any great damage anywhere, but most everything seems original red, except for white doors and hood. All in all, though, it does look decent.

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag

glemon said:
If it is indeed rust free it might be worth close to the asking price, but I would offer two grand or less.

If it is supposed to start I would see if you can start it as well, or at least see if it turns over on the starter or by hand. The motor doesn't look like they put a lot of effort into clean-up if it was in fact rebuilt, hate to be cynical but it seems like a lot of projects sitting around have had the "engine rebuilt"

Big Healeys are brining whacky money these days, I think people are starting to realize TRs are very much a bargain in comparison and the prices will tend to go up, which of course makes for a better argumement when you have the "its an investment" conversation with the wife.

I wish I had all the Big Healey's I had back in the '80's....I would be rich! :yesnod:

I know what you mean about the "paint can rebuilds". In this case, they didn't even use the paint.

I have always loved the TR4 (I don't know why). But, I'm beginning to think I might be better off buying one already restored.

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag

Andrew Mace said:
I'd be curious as to why the hood and doors appear to be from a different car. Doesn't look like any great damage anywhere, but most everything seems original red, except for white doors and hood. All in all, though, it does look decent.

I don't think I'll be able to get any answers on these types of questions. The current owner pretty much bought it "as is".