• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Let's play.."What's my car worth"

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
Let's play.."What's my car worth"

OK, up for your entertainment is my car. I was offered $3200 for it this weekend. Not sure if the guy was serious, but he gave me his info. Y'all know my car just as well as I do, so feel free to gimme your "constructive criticism" Do you think the fact that the original 1500 has been replaced with the 1275 detracts from the value? The car runs fantastic (with the exception of the exhaust noise) I'm not thinking of selling it as I'm finally starting to enjoy it. Just looking for a fair appraisal.

COMPLETED WORK:
Rebuilt, balanced, .030 over with a 286 cam, 1275
Rebuilt (by Auto Sport, Seattle) dual HS2 carbs
K&N air-filter assembly
Datsun dog-leg 5 speed and adapter kit
New clutch, pressure-plate and Throw out bearing
New Hi-Torq starter
New electronic ignition and coil
New rotors, calipers, linings, cylinders, lines, rear wheel bearings
New Mini-Lite wannabes and low-pro tires (including spare)
Balanced and rebuilt drive shaft
Carpet kit
New Nardi steering wheel and hub
New convertible top

TO BE DONE:
Exhaust needs to be done from manifold back (maybe I'll throw the Harley muffler on)
Windshield is pitted
Speedometer doesn't work (suspect problem is at the transmission drive gear and don't care to pull the tranny to fix it)

Misc details to body:
Replace lock sets (have new ones)
Install window rubber in doors (have new ones)
Paint is in good condition. Could use freshening up. I happen to like the patina

Have at it, gang! All the pics of the work are on my link below.

G

Re: Let's play.."What's my car worth"

No way! I'd laugh at anything under 5K with all that you have in it. It may not bring that but who cares. Let him go buy some clapped out P.O.S off of craigslist or ebay. If all he has is $3,200, then I suggest he look for a $3,200 car! :smirk:

A guy offered me $2,000 for my car and I felt like urinating on his leg. I'd torch her before I gave her away.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

There are a lot of paradoxes in pricing cars. One reality is that obvious cosmetic or mechanical flaws, which are cheap and easy to fix, often lower the price more than what it would take to fix them. People are not all rationalists, and obvious flaws give them a bad feeling about the car. Perhaps this is not unjustified--it could, in many cases, be an indication of more problems that are not so obvious.

So, it's a good idea to fix these things; it will cost less than the hit in price you'll take by not fixing them. You can get a good used speedo on ebay for $50; if it's the gear, I'd think you could replace it without pulling the transmission, but I admit I'm less familiar with later cars. Similarly, you could polish the paint, replace the rubber, and so on fairly easily.

The cars that sell fast and for decent $$ are the ones that say "this is a really nice car" immediately by their appearance.

The engine issue is less significant. I think you'll find as many people who prefer the 1275 as ones who are concerned about the nonoriginality and potential problems caused by the swap.

Beyond that, I think $3200 sounds a little low. Maybe something a bit upwards of $4K?

G

On second thought tell him 7K! He sounds like the arse clown on a car show I saw yesterday. They spotlighted a '69 Z28 w/ either 22 or 27K original miles on it. Original EVERYTHING! Only thing changed under the hood was the belt and a radiator hose. All original marks and overspray still present. ORIGINAL UNCHIPED OR SCRATCHED PAINT! Origianl interior "flawless" says the host. All documentation from when the car was new till present. I mean this thing was incredible...and it takes a lot to impress me. The host goes on and on about how original, correct and perfect the car is. "It's the nicest Z I've ever seen. There is none better!"

Then this clown says, "How much is it worht? Well, I offered him 40K and he turned it down. That's all this car is worth, 40-50K."

Yeah, ~right~! :smirk: Sounds like ol' boy had a case of sour grapes and wanted to get on national TV to tell ~everyone~ "that's all it's worth". It was a real cheap shot. :nonod: I'm sure if he were the owner, it would suddenly increase in value.

The car would have easily brought 80-125K at B-J with the right buyers.

Your car doesn't look ~anything~ like a $3,200 car.

$3,200 isn't an offer, it's an insult!

Gundy

Luke Skywalker

Some people just love to bust on others.
I think they figure the day ain't done till
they rain on somebody's parade.
Screw 'em.
That car is VERY nice. I wouldn't take double his offer personally.
Offer seems un-genuine and intended to give the jerk a put down chance.
Bet he felt self satisfied when he strolled away.
Geesh...

I did hear some people talking and one apparently "knowledgeable" guy explained to his friends "These cars (meaning the Sprites/Midgets)aren't worth much. They are not real sports cars and just a novelty.".
Maybe it was the same jerk.
:crazyeyes:

Billm

Yoda
Country flag

Ed
You have put lots of blood, sweat, tears and time into that car and it is great that you are finally able to use it. You know just what is inside it and you should have confidence in it by now, it would be a shame to sell it.
Besides- it isn't yours, you would need to ask Amanda if SHE wants to sell it!
BillM :smile:

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

1. A used car is worth what you sell it for
2. A used car is worth what you pay for it
3. The area car is located determines its worth, a nice house in a bad neighbor hood is worth less,junk house in nice neighborhood worth more.
4. What would you realistly buy the car tomorrow for? then subtract $500.00
5. check every add for a car like yours within 300 miles, then call the highest asking prices and see what type of repones they are having
6. Why is car being sold and how much time do you have to sell it
7. Can you emotionaly seperate yourself from the car and treat it like sheet metal during the sale
8. How well it is marketed
9. How easy it is to see for people to know it is for sell, how easy to talk to someone to walk up to the car and talk to someone.
10. Are you prepared to lose interest in the car? once you put a car up for sell it is kinda like breaking up with your girlfriend/boyfriend even if you get back together it is never the same as before.

So baiscally you are the judge. you know what a give away price is, and you know what a top dollar price is. so to determine the value, refer to #1 above

OP
lbc_newbie

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior

Y'all crack me up! Thanks for the compliments. I'm not selling it BillM, you put too much blood sweat and tears into it too.... I would have to give you your cut.
Just curious as to what a rubber bumper with my mods might go for these days. Not a lot of them out there to compare it to because all the RBs out there have the 1500. I think the 1275 would be more desirable to the right person.

I think I'll go take it for a drive right now! Sunny and 78....love it.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag

Well, its overcast and 48 here- I think that you made the right choice (in both issues!)
BillM

Country flag

I tell people "I'm not interested in selling unless you are interest in paying what I have invested in it". Most knowledgeable people understand, smile, and don't ask what I have invested. But some inquisitive idiots will ask anyway.

RickB

Yoda

lbc_newbie said:
Just curious as to what a rubber bumper with my mods might go for these days. Not a lot of them out there to compare it to because all the RBs out there have the 1500. I think the 1275 would be more desirable to the right person.

Heh, not all of them...
I told my insurance agent I want $8000 value on mine, that's what it has on it now. It would take a lot for me to sell it, not saying I can not imagine selling it but it would have to be a pretty extreme situation.

lbc_newbie said:
I think I'll go take it for a drive right now! Sunny and 78....love it.

Have I mentioned I hate you?? :smile:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Miss Agatha is insured for 16K. yea I know. sigh.

G

lbc_newbie said:

Unchartered territory. Who knows. I don't think 1500 or not really is going to matter. Espcielly with the 5 speed. I wouldn't really care for the 1275 'cause I like the 1500.

The swap could be "used" against you in negotiations, but I don't thin it really maters. The way around it is to take the bumpers off and go CB or something else. Who knows, I might actually be able to pull off a cobra nose mod. If not, I still have some other ideas for bolt on RB removal mods that should look pretty cool.