• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Keys for a BJ8

sunkissedhealey

I have many questions concerning original keys for a BJ8. Were the original keys Wilmont Breeden with the FS three digit code on one side and Made in England with UNION in the center on the opposite side? The keys that I have are 6-sided and rectangular. Is the three digit FS on the ignition barrel? On my car the three digit code is faintly visible, but not the "FS". What about the glove-box lock barrel? Was it a seperate key, or did the iginition key open the glove box? Did the glove box lock barrel have a code stamped on the barrel? What about the door locks and the boot key--separate keys? What I'm trying to find out is how many keys were issued and "what opened what". I count four distinct locks: 1. iginition, 2. glove-box, 3. door handle lock, and 4. boot lock. Four different keys? Were all the keys stamped with a code? Were they all of the same 6-sided rectangular style or another shape? Any info is much appreciated.

Rob

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a phase 1 BJ8, so I do not have keyed door handles. My ignition key is a Wilmot Breeden with Union on that side and Made in England on the opposite side. Stamped on the key is "FP" and a 3 digit number. This key fits the ignition only. I have a separate key that fits both the glove box and boot. It appears to be a copy, not the original as it has DL and Montreal, Can on one side. I would think if I had a phase 2 BJ8, this would be the key for the doors as well. My glove box, boot key is 6 sided, and not the same shape as the ignition key. The ignition key is wider (left to right, about an inch) but not deep, about 3/8 of an inch and has rounded corners.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Presently, there is a set of two keys offered on ebay for a BJ7 & 8. Although I don't think they are original, can't see any markings, the shape of the two keys apprears correct.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
SKH; On my late BJ8's the ignition key will also operate the Chubby box and the Doors. A separate key is required for the boot.Do not know about vendors or shapes--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
This is a good place to check for nos keys ...

https://britishcarkeys.com/

You may also want to contact Steve Byers at sbyers@ec.rr.com
He runs the BJ8 Registry and knows a fair bit about the keys/codes etc.

Cheers,
John

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool website! Who knew there's almost a specialty for every part of a car they stopped producing forty years ago! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
Well I ran out to check my keys hoping to add something relevant to this discussion - both are clearly stamped "Jim's Keyes" on one side and "Phil.PA" on the other side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif Clearly that removes me from the Original Key Club group, but at least I got to read Keoke typing "Chubby Box and the Doors." Some kind of punk rock group I suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey, Velox, don't count yourself out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif with some homework, or a certificate from the Heritage Trust, you could join /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, Velox, don't count yourself out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif with some homework, or a certificate from the Heritage Trust, you could join /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY I never thought of that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I looked on my Heritage Trust certificate and it says: Key Number: FS.896 now if I only knew what that meant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I guess I had better do some more research /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif Here ya go... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
Oops, I mean, DOH, the key number from the trust certificate identifies the code used to cut the key. Apparently the boot lock has a number stamped on the handle stem somewhere. Well it's off to www.britishcarkeys.com I go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Velox, The number stamped on the stem of the boot handle is not the lock number.It appears that these boot lock handles came from a different bin and were then given the healey locks and codes.Mine is a DS Number and it came from a Mercedes Benz bin.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope Dave! he is out!-----Keoke-AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope Dave! he is out!-----Keoke-AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaaaarrrrgh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif well I'm off to www.oldHondasWithRealKeys.com hoping they will take me in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
S

sunkissedhealey

Greetings:

Well, I got two-thirds of my original BJ8 key quest solved. Pete Groh of britishcarkeys.com fixed me up with an original six-sided Wilmont Breeden ignition key with an ignition barrel insert. The FS number for the ignition key was on the Heritage certificate. The FS number for the glove box lock was on the lock's face. This Wilmont-Breeden key has a round head. The boot key/door key didn't work. Bummer. Seems that the number on the boot's handle didn't jive with the barrel insert. Pete is sending me a couple of keys to try out before going on to plan B. Two out of three(working keys) ain't bad!

Rob

OP
S

sunkissedhealey

Greetings:

I took the boot handle assembly off of the car and took it to a locksmith so that the barrel insert could be made to fit the FS key. Now all keys work. The ignition key also works the door locks. A seperate key is for the glove box--the number on the key matches the number stamped on the face of the lock. When I buffed up the boot handle rod, I discovered two letters, NF, near the bottom of the rod, running upside down (from the three digit code) and at a 45 degree angle. The three digit code was near the top of the rod. Keoke is probably right about the number on the rod not corresponding to the number on the key and possibly coming from a different manufacturer. The key for my boot lock is FS XXX, the rod is NF XXX. Best to check with Pete Groh at www.britishcarkeys.com if you're looking for original keys and have questions about codes.

Rob

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey, Rob, glad you're on the way, do you think those keys are NOS, 'cause if they are, I think you're in, despite Keoke's assertion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif