• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Keys for MG's

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Heading to MG 2008 in a week and I've just realized I have only 1 set of keys for my car. If I lose them I am s k rewed. Is this a Home Depot thing or do I need to order special keys?

RickB

Yoda
Over in the Spridgets area this came up recently and Kim Webb found he could get his keys copied at Walmart.
I personally ordered some for my Midget & B from this place:

https://www.triple-c.com/

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Also ACE Hardware, but I haven' had good luck with people other than a locksmith, as the different cuts on each side seems to mess them up if they don't know what their doing and if their slightly off, the key wont work. I had a $9.00 blank messed up by one. They made it good though. Make sure you try the new key before the trip.

PS I sure wish I could go to the 2008 show, but I'll be in Oklahoma at the time.

Steve_S

Yoda
I've never taken a spare key with me on a trip. These cars are really easy to start without one anyway, so worst case is that I lose a key and have to hotwire it.

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
Keys can wear out, break, or get lost, so having a second set is not a bad idea. Do you need to carry a second set? I don't know. I've never carried a second set.

Peter Groh at https://www.britishcarkeys.com/ can make you keys by code.
Having old worn keys copied is just buying an old worn key.

Philip Cooke of Triple C will probably be at MG2008...and will be able to make one for you on the spot.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've keyed ALL my LBC's to th' same key. One key for three. Same with tool boxes and hovel. My keyring has three keys for those and seperate "connected" ones for the Benz and Alfa.

"SIMPLIFY!"

..I ~hate~ keys. :devilgrin:

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I like the idea of being able to order a key by sending the number off the lock/key. I may have to order another Wilmot Breeden. My second set is some no name brand that no one can seem to duplicate.

On my key ring, I have my two keys for my Cougar, one house key. I too like to simplify, unlike my GF who has about six pounds of keys.

Steve_S

Yoda
I carry as few keys as possible. I have a house key on one ring, and a separate key ring for each car. That way I'm never carrying more than four keys total (one car has three keys - locks, ignition, gas cap).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ron said:
I too like to simplify, unlike my GF who has about six pounds of keys.

Nothin' kills an iggy switch faster than that kinda mass danglin' from th' lock!!!

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I've keyed ALL my LBC's to th' same key. One key for three. Same with tool boxes and hovel. My keyring has three keys for those and seperate "connected" ones for the Benz and Alfa.

"SIMPLIFY!"

..I ~hate~ keys. :devilgrin:

Me too. Now If I can only key the house, shed, garage, 2 trucks, 1 van, 4 MG's, 1 Bimmer and 1 Harley to the same key, I'd be much lighter. Oh might as well do the tool boxes, moms house and garage while I'm at it.

I'll look while at 2008

Steve_S said:
I carry as few keys as possible. I have a house key on one ring, and a separate key ring for each car. That way I'm never carrying more than four keys total (one car has three keys - locks, ignition, gas cap).

One of my first boss'es told me that the more keys one carries, the further down the corporate ladder one resides as less important one's role is at the operation. Not sure I completely agree with him....but...

The key ring to the each of the MGs has one key only.

The key ring to the Nissan 300ZX has one key only.

My Ford F150 keyring has two keys...ignition and tonneau cover only.

I carry a separate key ring on work days that has a single key to the pharmacy that works all locks I would need while at work.

I don't carry a house key or a barn key.

Does this classify me as "impotent"

:smile:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bugeye has one key, kept in ign. Hehe. very few know how to start it unless you turn the key or push a button. Who ever heard of a pull switch.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I carry as few as possible but when I go to work, I ahve to have my "Door Fob" and my office door key. Each car truck has one or two keys and the alarm fob. Maybe I should get a detachable key ring so I can add the work keys to whatever car I take to work that day. I really just wanted the extra set to have for the MG in case. All the keys actually match and work on the car. For that matter so does the '67 GT and I only have one set for that.