• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Improving Reliability of my BJ8

BrianC

Freshman Member
I am planning to take my AH 3000 BJ8 on a 3000 mile trip through scandanavia and I am anxious to improve the reliability as much as possible. To date the longest trips have been some 500 miles. I have put in a new radiator and a 6 blade plastic fan which has certainly improved cooling. Should I consider changing my dynamo for an alternator or even electronic ignition? I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Country flag
Is A yes and B no? I'm not sure it would improve reliability to change to alternator. The second question seems to be personal preference but I still like the simplicity of points.

dklawson

Yoda
These questions aren't unique to Healeys. Forgive me for generalizing, but most Healey owners I know like to keep their cars original and deal with the reliability by knowing how to maintain/repair them. So, this is a judgment call for you alone to decide on, originality vs. reliability.

Alternators (even Lucas ones) are "generally" more reliable than the generators with external control boxes. Likewise, ignition systems like Pertronix generally go for years without problems. However, they aren't original. Replacing a set of points and a condenser is easy as long as it isn't freezing cold or raining on you. Sorting out charging problems under those conditions can be difficult at best. But... the alternator and electronic ignition aren't original. It's a trade off that you alone can decide.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Its worth remembering just how realible well maintained Healeys were and still are.

In 1958 a 100-Six covered 10,000 miles in 4 days at an average speed of 97 mph!

This was achieved around the banked track at Montlhery where the centrafugal forces and cracked concrete added greatly to the challenge. The car ran with points and a generator without any problems even though the surface was so bad the rear springs were shot at the end of it.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Brian,
I totally agree with Doug.

Derek,
Though impressive, the above cited accomplishment does not address age related problems & I would bet that the points & generator were replaced shortly after the run. I'm certain that if reliable alternators & pointless ignitions were available & allowed to be used at the time, they would have been used.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I guess I will have to go along with Dave and Dough too on this one.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I think it's worth mentioning that Peter and Anne Hunt drove their BT7 with a standard distributor in the Around the World Rally ... 20,000 mile without touching the points. No adjusting, no changing the timing, no fiddling. I think they said they replaced the points as a matter of course at 25K. Of course, they started with a rebuilt distributor which is in my opinion, more important than the points vs. pertronix decision. They did change the generator to a Lucas Alternator because of the extra lights and additional power requirements.

Cheers,
John

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Brian--

Though many of the answers bring into consideration the issue of originality no one seems to seriously be arguing that generators are equally or more reliable than alternators. Yes generators can be fixed or control boxes adjusted but not always at the roadside and you may have to wait for parts. Alternatively, alternators that are commonly fitted to Healeys (Delco) can be purchased at NAPA and other stores about anywhere and anytime, though I am not sure about Scandinavia.

I fit an electronic ignition to my car (Mallory Unilite, and I carry a spare cap, rotor and module) as it is just one less thing to worry about.

OP
B

BrianC

Freshman Member
Many thanks for the helpful comments received so far. The poll was something of a mistake and the alternator was just an example. Are there any other BJ8 parts which people have found to be very unreliable and for which there is a more modern equivalent or the possibility of carrying spares?

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I guess I was just sayimg that Healeys are actually very strong and reliable cars.(unlike Lotus for instance! - Better be careful - is there a Lotus forum!) I don't own a BJ8 but I dont think there is any obvious part that needs to be replaced to ensure reliability its more a question that the parts they have in them should be in good condition and well maintained.

The most common modifications are the ones that the guys have mentioned - the alternator and the elctronic ignition -

but then its not a Healey is it? (ouch!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Good luck with the trip - Im sure you'll get there and back with out any problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

kch

BrianC. Just courious, what is your route in Scandinavia ?

When out travellng, it could be an idea to take along a spare rotor, and a spare fuel pump. Of course, depending on the age of these items in your car.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good day Brian. All the good folks are correct in what they say. However, I didn't see a post requarding the fuel pump. From what I've been told, the fuel pump is the one item most likely to quit on you. I'd replace it with one that is similar in appearance but having modern parts. Maybe even carry a spare after market as well. Which brings up other questions, what spares are you planning on taking along?