• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Esprit Reliability?

nopstns

Freshman Member
I'm checking out a couple 89 Esprits. Not too serious about buying one right now, but still considering it as an option. It's going to have to be a daily driver, so I was wondering what kind of reliability they have. I put about 12k a year on my cars, and that's gonna include winter driving too. I figure it should have enough weight on the rear, and I'm educated enough in driving that I'll be able to handle it. heck I drive a Rear Drive turbo car in winter now, so it wouldn't be much of a change.
grin.gif
Anyways, think it's a good idea to find an 89ish Esprit for around $20k for a daily driver? Thanks.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hmmm ... depending on how much snow you get ground clearance could be a real issue. And do they even make snow tires for the Esprit?

OP
N

nopstns

Freshman Member
I'm not too worried about the ground clearance. I've had a coupe Rx7s that don't have too much, and I know the Esprit would be a little lower, but the roads I'm on are normally just slushy, nothing much to worry about. Also, I'm sure I could find a set of tires that would fit. I don't have to run the exact size that came on the car. In actuality I could probably just run tires the same wheel diametere and a width that would fit the rim. OD doesn't make much difference if they're only on a couple months.

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
My suggestion for what its worth..I'd pass on the Esprit as a daily driver. I think your looking for trouble with this one..

Buy this fantastic sports car but have a daily driver.

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Yea i'm thinking the daily driver thing is just asking for frustration and eventual disappointment... By the late 80's most of the cars sore spots were worked out by the manufacturer and they were pretty good FOR A LOTUS for reliability... But the age of the car just screams " expect the unexpected with me!"

super nice car to have as a second car though!

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Many people (mostly owners) say that the name "Lotus" was formed from "Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious". I think this is an exaggeration but I still wouldn't want one as my only car.

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: coldplugs ]</p>

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
One of my neighbors has a red Esprit ...pretty radical looking car..I couldn't tell you the year but I do admire the fact that he uses it quite often...although it does not appear to be his daily driver..