• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I Vote for Membership Fee

T

Tinster

Basil has certainly given us all a spendid place to
garner old car technical information, ask for help,
offer help, make new friends, swap lies and all the
other good stuff. And now the Britcarforum is
speeding along in 3rd gear, full pedal to the floor.

The Crypt Car would have long ago been sent to the Car
Crusher were it not for the repair info I was able gather
right here.

I belong to several professional organizations and I pay
them all yearly dues. Cost of doing business.

Basil invests much time and money in keeping this web
forum up and, running for us. I think it is time we start
helping Basil out with the costs of this web site.

Yearly Membership fee?? Cost of maintaining an
old Brit car, I say.

Anyone else have an opinion on this topic??

regards,

dale

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I help other TR owners when I can, whether it's here on the web or if I can help another sportscar owner, no matter what car he is driving, when he has a problem along the side of the road. I never ask them to pay me for helping them and I'm sure they would never expect me to ask to be paid. So I don't want to start paying here now to help others.

I would rather leave it the way it is. If I have to pay anyone to help others with my suggestions, I'll just stop helping everyone with the knowledge I have gained during the 48 years that I've owned my 1958 TR3A.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Paulus

Silver
Country flag
Good point. How many others that offer advice might migrate to some other forum? Without doubt this is by far the best forum I've found and it's popularity must partly be driven by the fact it is free.It would be better to get the word out about this site as I do as this would probably help increase the interest of potential sponsors and drive revenue.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gifPaulus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Although I am not totally against a subscription cost, I don't think it would work all the well for the BCF....We are still a relatively small forum and charging potential contirbuting members a fee would only prevent the BCF from growing to it's full potential.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I appreciate the intent, but BCF will remain a free forum. There is a donation link in the upper left portion of the main navigation menu (just below the header flag). If folks are so inclined I certainly appreciate any help as I do spend a far amount of money (and a huge amount of time) on the forum, but donations are voluntary.

Basil

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Basil has certainly given us all a spendid place to
garner old car technical information, ask for help,
offer help, make new friends, swap lies and all the
other good stuff. And now the Britcarforum is
speeding along in 3rd gear, full pedal to the floor.

The Crypt Car would have long ago been sent to the Car
Crusher were it not for the repair info I was able gather
right here.

I belong to several professional organizations and I pay
them all yearly dues. Cost of doing business.

Basil invests much time and money in keeping this web
forum up and, running for us. I think it is time we start
helping Basil out with the costs of this web site.

Yearly Membership fee?? Cost of maintaining an
old Brit car, I say.

Anyone else have an opinion on this topic??

regards,

dale

[/ QUOTE ]

-YEP-------------------------------------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif-------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif----NO!---------Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

--P.S. "U"-Wanna throw some $$$$$ at it, be sure and hit the button "Basil" told you about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
I'd make that button bigger, and maybe give it it's own space, Basil! I never noticed it was there until it was just pointed out to me! (and had I seen it before, I would have donated already! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

PeterK

Yoda
Donation works best for me. VTR tried to lock down technical articles that were donated for free and had an uprising against it; a membership fee concept is contrary to the web. Team.net has a yearly or so fund drive asking for $$ help and donation is totally voluntary. The whole point is to interest others to join us; if membership is required, the doors would be shut before they can even browse. Just my $.02 but I will donate here and there to help when needed to keep the forums open and free to all interested.

If you feel you've been helped enough to be compelled to give $$, do it, but don't lock out others as there are a lot or lurkers out there.

Again IMHO. Peter

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

I lost all interest in the VTR when they closed off the tech part. I wouldn't join it now. I belong to lots of forums, and part of the appeal is that they are for free. I like the idea that IF you feel a donation is what you'd like to do, then DO IT. It's no different then the PBS TV and radio stations, or that Spy-bot programing you're using.

But it all comes down to the more traffic that this site sees, the more supporting vendors will get involved, and that's where most of the operating expenses should come from. So, let's not alienate anyone with "DUES" or fees just to attend the party.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I do respect both sides of the discussion and feel that I would tend to lean toward "encouraging" donations for several reasons:

1. Basil has been great in providing the time and money to get this forum up and running as well as to constantly improve it. What happens to the forum if the burden on him becomes too great and he just says he can't do it anymore? It will die and that's a fact that no one wants to see happen.

2. Assuming that he doesn't, all is well, but we all know what happens when we assume. The PCQandA Computer Forum faced the same dilemma several years ago. The costs associated with operating one of the best forums on the net became overwhelming and it nearly folded until it began a yearly drive to secure funds from donations. And even with the thousands of members posting daily, it still struggles to raise the $4,000 needed to run over and above vendor revenue raised from commissions and advertising.

3. If anyone thinks that the moneys raised by the income derived from vendors advertising here and commissions based on what is purchased are sufficient for running a first class forum and the hardware associated with it, I think they would be surprised to see that it falls woefully short. As seen by the example above.

4. While the concept of the "free information available on the net" is good, this is a real world and in the real world, nothing is free. Someone has to pay for the equipment, software, time and energies needed to keep it secure and running. I'm only suggesting that those who can or feel compelled to do so, should donate what they feel is fair for what they get. And those who don't feel the same should try their best to support it in any way possible, because if we all don't pitch in to help, it will, just like all good things that are free for awhile, eventually go away.

Just my thoughts and only because I watched the other forum nearly die because too many thought it could survive on it's own or that everyone else would take care of it. I would really hate to see this forum go away.

tomshobby

Yoda
I belong to VTR for reasons other than its web presence and agree that would not be a very compelling reason to belong.
A merger of some kind between the BCF and the VTR hilighting both their strengths might be something good for all. Then again that is exactly what I have now belonging to both.

I am very happy with the way things are.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Tinster, I certainly understand your desire to help out. If nothing else it caused me to start thinking so I searched out Basil donation link, made one and feel better for it. This forum has been a great help for me on technical questions. I live in a small town in central Tennessee, and most of the folks here have never seen a TR much less know anything about them. There is one other TR in town and I have looked at it and taken pictures of it so that helps, but for tech suport the BCF is it for me.
So thanks for your thoughts, Cheers, Tinkerman

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I do respect both sides of the discussion and feel that I would tend to lean toward "encouraging" donations for several reasons:
<ul type="square">
1. Basil has been great in providing the time and money to get this forum up and running .... 1. Basil has been great in providing the time and money to get this forum up and running ....

2. .... The costs associated with operating one of the best forums on the net became overwhelming and it nearly folded until it began a yearly drive to secure funds from donations. And ... it still struggles to raise the $4,000 needed .....

3. If anyone thinks that the moneys raised by the income derived from vendors advertising here and commissions based on what is purchased are sufficient for running a first class forum and the hardware associated with it, I think they would be surprised to see that it falls woefully short.

4. .... I'm only suggesting that those who can or feel compelled to do so, should donate what they feel is fair for what they get. And those who don't feel the same should try their best to support it in any way possible, because if we all don't pitch in to help, it will, just like all good things that are free for awhile, eventually go away.
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Very well said.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
I agree with Basil; Some of us(most)are nickle&dimed to death from some angle.If we choose THAT route /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif all we do is loose members;were not all rich & retired;-)BUT we AMERICANS ARE VERY CHARITABLE when we can be.RIGHT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
There could perhaps be some sort of subscription based membership, as well as the current membership? The subscription paying members would get some perks, e.g. space on the server for their photos and documents etc., or maybe discounts? I think this is the way the Rennlist forums operate (I'm a member there, I think it was $17 for a year): everyone can get a username for free and post questions and answers, but there are some perks to being a paying member.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
There could perhaps be some sort of subscription based membership, as well as the current membership? The subscription paying members would get some perks, e.g. space on the server for their photos and documents etc., or maybe discounts? I think this is the way the Rennlist forums operate (I'm a member there, I think it was $17 for a year): everyone can get a username for free and post questions and answers, but there are some perks to being a paying member.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm doing something similar in that on my support page I offer to host members small, non-commercial British Car Related web sites, which can include very nice guest book and photo gallery installed as part of the deal. - for $10 a month.
Basil

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
First off, kudos to Basil for the fine work. I have so little free time, that this web page is my main contact with the other crazies in the LBC world. The tech advice is a great help & as such I try to contribute the little I know from my own experiences.

I belong to an antique tractor site that went to membership, however once they started charging, even though it was nonprofit they came into a whole bunch of legal - liability issues that caused them to create a by-laws, officers, etc to the tune of a few thousand dollars.

I still send in my $10/year so I can access all the tech info.

I say if we can support Bas with donations, so be it. I would hope if he needs it for equip, etc that he would speak up.

Meanwhile let's not forget the hours & hours he must spend allowing us to enjoy this great hobby & community.

Bravo!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If a lot of people are like me they are scraping together all they can just to get and keep their car running. IF this site became a membership due paying site, I would have to leave. Even at $10 or less it's still a lot of money to me. I GREATLY appreciate Basil for having this site and keeping it free. I realize this is expensive and time consuming, but if fees are added many people will leave.

Thanks Basil.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
If this TR6 site was kept to aroung a 95% technical forum I would be willing to pay a fee, but with all the chat room type banter----I would not want to pay for that!!--but dont get me wrong this is a great site and thanks for the huge amount of work basil.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Statistics from the Entrance Board tonight. If every one of the 6845 members sent just $1.00 each to Basil as a donation, it would go a long way to defraying the costs associated with running the forum and insure our survival in the future.

I know that I've saved more than a dollar this year by reading posts or getting free advice here.

New Members:
1 Last 24 hours
30 Last 7 days
116 Last 31 days

Boards:
22692 Total topics
180981 Total replies

Totals:
6845 Members
203673 Posts

Max Online:
220 Total