• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hydraulics or Engine first?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Okay, I'm nearing the time when I can actually fire up the Tunebug's new Hap-built 1275. I should have the cooling system in this week, then a few bits this weekend and I could be ready for a test fire. I redid all of the brake/clutch bits as well, but there is no fluid in the new lines yet. Can I fire the motor (tranny in neutral) before bleeding the lines out, or do I need to get the hydraulics working first?

I'd really like to hear this motor run, but don't want to break anything with a little impatience. I'm years into this project already, and a few more weeks won't matter one way or another.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can do it without bleeding the lines, but if you get the itch for a joyride around the block, you better bring a big rock.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jhorton3 said:
You can do it without bleeding the lines, but if you get the itch for a joyride around the block, you better bring a big rock.
:iagree: You know you'll want to try it. It maybe takes an hour to bleed the brakes

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
and 6 to bleed the clutch

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
jvandyke said:
and 6 to bleed the clutch
That's the part I'm most worried about.
grin.gif

I know it's just a mental game, but hearing that engine run would be a great motivator towards getting the rest buttoned up.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Drew - have you bought/made a pressure bleeder yet?

No reason I can see not to fire the engine up (making sure to run it in properly), if it is going to give you a shot in the arm why not?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bleed first - that way you can drive her.

G

tony barnhill said:
Bleed first - that way you can drive her.

+1, I can't tell you how many times I've drivin off too soon from excitement in a car that wasn't NO WHERE near ready to drive. Then you have to fight "drive urge" to fix it and I always rush through important stuff, "just to see how it'll drive".

I almost burnt my grandmother's house down with a gas powered golf cart that had a fuel leak when I was 13. ( funny story)

Yeah, it motivates me, to drive it ,right there and then.

I know me well enough to not even tempt myself anymore. ( cause I know I ALWAYS give in.)

Look at it this way, what good is a running car that you can't stop ?!?!?!?!

After all, stop is WAAAAY more important than go.

It's more enjoyable that way too.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
No pressure bleeder, though I do have speed bleeders all around.

I'll probably give bleeding it a try first... y'all are just too practical. We'll see which system I get completed first.
grin.gif

G

drooartz said:
tdskip said:

I'll probably give bleeding it a try first... y'all are just too practical. We'll see which system I get completed first.
grin.gif

bought and tried two different vaccum bleeders and never had much luck with them. It would appear that they were creating so much vaccum that air was being drawn around the m/c seals from the back of the bore as I uld never get them to bleed prpperly. Went back to the old way and worked out fine. Neve tried pressure bleed.

bugimike

Yoda
One more vote with Tony! Once you hear it running, you know you are going to want to go for at least a short test spin!!!! :wink: :thumbsup:

G

bugimike said:
One more vote with Tony! Once you hear it running, you know you are going to want to go for at least a short test spin!!!! :wink: :thumbsup:

EXACTLY !!!!

startech47

Jedi Knight
Danforth with a chain before the rope. Just chuck it out when you want to stop. Some boater may be mad when he finds out his anchor is missing. Bleed the brakes first.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Complete the car, Drew. Don't matter how much vroom ya got and the engine will need breaking in PROPERLY. That means the rest of the systems need to be functioning before you start putting time on a NEW engine.

You'll need to check the entire hydraulic system (both, actually) for leaks, test the fuel system for same. Insure all is ready before you light the mill.

Running a new engine for a few minutes and shutting down is not a good idea. You need to be able to run it thru a few "heat cycles" and put some load on it. Can't do that unless all else is right first. Did Hap describe a good first-run procedure? I'm sure he'd explain it if given a call.

...I know, I'm a buzz killer. :smirk:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's why I asked first, Doc. :smile:

I'm intending to give Hap a call before I start it up for the first time. I've got notes from him, but want to be absolutely sure I know what I need to do before diving in.

I guess I'll just have to break down and finish the rest of the car. :smile:

Sounds like you're getting close Drew, call me whenever you are ready, and I'll help anyway I can.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I am getting close, Hap -- and I will definitely call you once I'm ready for the first start up.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
kellysguy said:
drooartz said:
tdskip said:

grin.gif

bought and tried two different vaccum bleeders and never had much luck with them. It would appear that they were creating so much vaccum that air was being drawn around the m/c seals from the back of the bore as I uld never get them to bleed prpperly. Went back to the old way and worked out fine. Neve tried pressure bleed.

It's interesting that you haven't had much luck with vacuum bleeders. I have a craftsman model(straight of the shelf of a Sears store)that works perfectly for me. bleeding the clutch takes me 5 minutes max and perfect every time.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As for bleeding hydraulics, I prefer the Eezi-Bleed rig. Just did a Jag V-12 with it yesterday. Replaced flex hoses, put the gizmo on and had it all done inside a half an hour...

that did NOT include hose replacement and gettin' access to the rear bleed screws, understand. :shocked:

Tho I'd still prefer accessing the rear calipers on an E-type over a Spridget clutch slave. :wink: