• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 gt6+ power improvement basics

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I've decided that I'm going to keep the GT6+ as opposed to rebuilding to sell, but I will maximize the power as best I can. What would be the best places to concentrate on? I expect that a cam upgrade would be in order but I've never made any major changes to my cars, I've only used "stock" parts, whereas this car will be "beefed up". I saw a Ferrari 250 GTO on the highway(!) last week and decided on the spot that the GT6 was going to be power tuned. Suggestions??

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
I'm not familiar with the GT6 motor; however, the usual route to more "cheap" HP is to raise compression and a hotter cam profile, that's what I did with my TR6; but the quest for HP can get expensive when you start changing carbs, porting inlet manifolds, exhaust manifolds and exhaust systems etc etc.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
1. Get your distributor rebuilt and a modified curve to fit your engine, by Advanced Distributors.

2. Install distributor with new "red" rotor and begin step by step tuning of engine.

3. Replace any plugs or wires, possibly cap, that need done and get the ignition side all set before touching the carbs, except for setting the idle to set timing properly.

4. Follow the Buckeye guide to tuning the carbs.

If you follow these steps and set it up correctly, I'll bet that you will be very happy with what you have and you may decide to spend your hard earned dollars on something else, rather than tearing down the engine. This is assuming that your compression and valves are in good shape. If not, those will have to be fixed before you do any work.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Paul, Fer sher on the dizzy to advanced but Jeff doesn't have the red rotors for this car, I asked when I bought them for the B.
Don"t know about compression yet, but valves are fine.
I brought the head down to a buddy's engine rebuilding shop and he set it up for unleaded but said otherwise it was in great shape. I thought about a cam upgrade as Graham mentioned, would I get my existing cam rebuilt to higher specs or just get a completely new one?

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Since you apparently have the head off already, the best $$/improvement is going to come from upping the compression ratio. The GT6+ was hobbled by lots of emissions control stuff, and to get it to meet requirements the compression ratio is fairly low. You should start by measuring compression chamber volume and figuring out what the exact ratio is currently. Then you can work out how much the head can be shaved.

Getting the dizzy adjusted by Jeff is the other major improvement which is needed.

V

vagt6

Dave Vizard figured out the science of GT6 tweaking many moons ago. Get his manual and start from there. It's probably available somewhere free of charge on the web.

Or, as Brosky rightly says above, just ensure that your engine systems are very well-tuned and running smoothly. Maybe a little bit of head work and a good exhaust system will suffice (and don't forget to tune your braking system, too).

IMHO, it's hardly worth the thousands of bucks one spends on the GT6 engine to obtain an extra 40-50BHP. This lightweight, very streamlined car runs like a scalded rabbit with 110-120 HP, which is easily obtainable without spending big bucks.

Try it and see, I think you may agree. :yesnod:

Let us know . . .

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I agree with Mark. A well-built and maintained stock GT6 with a few modern upgrades such as a Pertronix, headers, and performance exhaust thrown in will be more than enough. If you don't have overdrive, you might want to spend your money on that. Check out Kastner's competition guide if you want to make period go-fast modifications.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Hi,
before you do anything, get the "tuning manual for standard triumph cars" by G.thomas. This is a MUST. You will regret if if you don't. Where to get this you ask? very difficult but i will find the e-mail to the only guy you can get it from. Stay tuned
Rob

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
this is from kas kastners site-where to get this book
regards
Rob

(02/11/08 22:54:25)
Reply Quote MoreMy Recent Posts Message Me Connection Blocking Invite Ignore User's Posts Hi, My name is Léon Guyot and I am the exclusive USA distributor of the 20th Anniversary Edition of the Gareth Thomas Triumph Tuning Manual. I still have a few copies of this excellent manual left. I am able to get more from Gareth, but there is a lead time of 5 - 6 weeks. This is because they are 100% produced by Gareth himself, then he has to mail them to me on the West Coast of the USA, from Eastern Europe. If there is delay by him in his replying to your emails, then he is most probably tied up with one of his business enterprises, or traveling around Europe. To send them to any USA addresses, I have to charge a flat rate for the manual of $40 (US), to cover all expenses, including shipping/postage. If you are in a different country, then I will have to check to see how much shipping/psotage will be and give you an appropriate price. I accept payment via paypal instant transfer, or by the slower echeck. I always acknowledge receipt by return email then mail the book without delay, (assuming I have any copies in hand), otherwise, I will keep the order details until the next batch arrives, but will keep you informed by email. Everyone who has received this excellent manual has been very pleased so far. You may contact me, and ask any questions about the manual at my personal email address: Guyots3@wmconnect.com All the Best, and thanks for the interest. Léon Guyot USA, West Coast

ps. thank you in advance Kas, for allowing me to place this information here, but I have only done so as there seems to be genuine interest from people in getting hold of this sought-after manual. I am only really distributing it as a favour to an old friend, but rest assured any pennies I might make on this work will be spent on my Triumph! :smile:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
vagt6 said:
Dave Vizard figured out the science of GT6 tweaking many moons ago. Get his manual and start from there. It's probably available somewhere free of charge on the web.
If you can't find it, drop me a PM with your email addy.

You might also have a look at https://home.powertech.no/egilkv/t_tune.html
Can't vouch for it myself, but there seems to be a lot of good info there.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Thanks guys. I was planning on going to a five speed from John Esposito anyways, BTW the 70 didn't have much in the way of emissions really, and when I look for evidence of it now I swear it must have fallen off sometime over the years. The upgrades mentioned above and from others are comforting insofar as the fact that these cars are fine as they were designed 40 years ago with some simple modern technological improvements.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So sorry if I have missed the might sell it consideration but I'm psyched you are going to keep it!

Where does the rebuild stand?

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Remember, the GT6 engine is just a TR6 engine with a shorter stroke. I would start with super tuning and a mild cam, headers and good carbs.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Tom,
I'll post some pix over the weekend, but right now it is on hold partly because I had to get a rebuilt tranny for the B (unplanned expense). And with the B in one bay and the GT in another, the boss's car now sits outside with my regular car. She's not too crazy about that so it looks like a new garage is in the works here at the homestead. After that unplanned expense is met, it will be late summer early fall, B will get parked and I'll get to work on the GT. I'm planning on putting the front end back on so I can roll it out and park it till construction is done and she can park inside again.
Bill, I'm still learning and I have learned that keeping it simple whenever possible works much better for me, thanks for the tip.
Mike

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Tom asked for pix, you can see why I need the new garage, it's amazing how much room one of these cars takes up when it's in pieces, and I haven't even got past the firewall yet! The front end has been POR15'd and I'll be pulling the tub to do the rest come fall.
https://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-7/1317492/DSCF0013.JPG
https://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-7/1317492/DSCF0014.JPG
https://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-7/1317492/DSCF0016.JPG

The garage is indeed exciting, and with the economy such as it is I expect I'll get some pretty good quotes for the foundation and framing/roof work. I'll finish it myself, but a pro framing crew can do it for less than it would cost me to take time away from my business.

just checked the uploaded photo, my cropping is not so good.

Attachments

• 17287.jpg
    17287.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 65

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the picture Mike - she looks like a good project. If I had more money/time/space I'd go hunt down a GT6 in a heart beat.

If you've got the resources now is a fantastic time to build/expand.