• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Greetings from new TVR owner

Jastx

Freshman Member
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a 1977 TVR 2500M. I have owned TVRs before, back in the '70's but not since. Nevertheless it's a marque I check any time I'm looking at cars (daily or so!) Anyway, this one came up -- original owner, 4,300 miles, window sticker, records, very nice shape, a lot of mechanical refresh done. It's white and black, almost exactly like my '74 2500M of the past. I couldn't resist.

Though very nice and original, it still has some age issues I hope I can get some advice on from you, but that's for later posts. Today I just wanted to say hi.

I'd post a pic or two if the forum allowed it but I don't see a way to do it.

Looking forward to making some new friends.

John

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
John,

Welcome! The car sounds great! Always amazes me that there are original cars out there with that kind of mileage. Mine is a 77 also. What is your commission number?

Look forward to sharing our interest in and experieinces with these unique vehicles.

Ed

OP
Jastx

Jastx

Freshman Member
Hi Ed,

My VIN number is 3668TM. What is yours?

As I mentioned, despite its low miles it has a couple of issues. The most troublesome is the steering -- it almost doesn't. You must turn the wheel considerably before anything happens. I haven't had a chance to examine it yet but did find another TVR person who told me the rubber bushings securing the rack to the frame could be deteriorated from time allowing the rack to move. He said there are aftermarket delrin replacements but I don't know where to get them. Any ideas? Classic Motor Works also showed some polyurethane replacements but I read they may be out of business. He also mentioned a steering rack shop near Johnstown, PA but I have no name or contact info on it. Anyone know of this place?

This is my 3rd 2500M. I loved the cars but always thought the steering was too slow even when it worked well. Any information regarding TVR steering would be appreciated.

Not sure how to attach photos but I'll give it a try with the File Manager link. This is a photo of me backing it off the delivery truck.

John

Attachments

• 25216.jpg
    25216.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 315
OP
Jastx

Jastx

Freshman Member
It worked!

Here is a pic of the interior.

Attachments

• 25217.jpg
    25217.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 308

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Classic motor works is now owned by Marshall Moore in Roanoak Va, and are still in business as of a few weeks ago. He occasionally posts on here as Mrtvr. If I recall, the rack mounts are TR6. The rack itself is not a straight exchange, but the mounts are. That is the cleanest 2500M I have seen in a long time. Way to go!!

OP
Jastx

Jastx

Freshman Member
Thanks, Jesse.

I did establish this evening the problem is (at minimum) the rack moving. I jacked up the front and could see the rack rock (at least the very small part of it I could see where the steering column is connected)as I moved the driver front wheel. It is definitely not well secured.

Problem is I can't see the whole rack, how or where it's attached. My '77 has a fan shroud up there that seems to enclose the rack and I can't see how to get it off. I'll have to pull the hood and take a more detailed look.

Any advice, anyone?

Attachments

• 25220.jpg
    25220.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 298

Dino_V

Jedi Hopeful
Stunning TVR you got there! Enjoy in good health! And when you have more time post some more pics of that beautiful machine!

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Most of the Auto supply shops around here have generic poly bushings for sale. If you get the old ones out you should be able to find a replacement that might work. If not, I have an extra set from a Jaguar XJS I won't be using.

Jastx said:
Hi Ed,

My VIN number is 3668TM. What is yours?

As I mentioned, despite its low miles it has a couple of issues. The most troublesome is the steering -- it almost doesn't. You must turn the wheel considerably before anything happens. I haven't had a chance to examine it yet but did find another TVR person who told me the rubber bushings securing the rack to the frame could be deteriorated from time allowing the rack to move. He said there are aftermarket delrin replacements but I don't know where to get them. Any ideas? Classic Motor Works also showed some polyurethane replacements but I read they may be out of business. He also mentioned a steering rack shop near Johnstown, PA but I have no name or contact info on it. Anyone know of this place?

This is my 3rd 2500M. I loved the cars but always thought the steering was too slow even when it worked well. Any information regarding TVR steering would be appreciated.

Not sure how to attach photos but I'll give it a try with the File Manager link. This is a photo of me backing it off the delivery truck.

John