• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front wheel alignment

Sportsdoc

Jedi Trainee
Now that I have one, soon to be two front wheels back on, I'm dealing with alignment as I also replaced the steering rack, suspension, etc.

Right now I'm just eyeballing it while adjusting the attachment arm to the tie rod end. I'm thinking of getting it the best I can then taking it to a shop that can hopefully more accurately align it.

What do you guys suggest?

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
I took mine in and glad that I did. I eyeballed mine and was only off by a small amount. Nothing like centering the steering wheel and knowing that everything is perfect after they are finished!!

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
P.S. They do not have specs for the BE in their computer but they might for a 66. I dunno? Midget specs should work just fine. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
When I got my sprite, it was clearly out of alignment--tire wear was bad and edges of the tread were feathered. I took mine to the local tire and alignment shop, where I have been a good customer in the past. I had to give them the alignment specs, which were in the shop manual, and they were a little surprised to see that only the toe-in was adjustable. In the end, they were afraid to put it on their rack, since the front-wheel spacing was marginal, and they thought it would be too easy to put a wheel off the rack and do some damage. So, they did a tape-measure alignment, and didn't charge me anything. It's clear, now, that it is quite close, so I'll just leave it like that.

There is a lot of info in the archives about aligning the wheels yourself. From this experience, I think that, if you have a really flat surface and know how to do it, it should be quite reasonable to do.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I used the string method on my TR3 this winter after completely rebuilding the front end. I thought I'd get it close enough to drive to the alignment shop. Well, one thing led to another ...and I still haven't made it to the shop. There is no abnormal wear on the new Vredesteins and no shimmy at any speed. A couple local guys informed me that is better than their's AFTER going to the alignment shop. I'm leaving well enough alone.

Ray

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did it myself using a piece of string, a jackstand, tape measure, square, and a 2x4 with a short piece of 2x4 nailed on at a right angle. I started making the wheels straight by tying the string to the jackstand, putting the jackstand behind the rear wheel, then using the string to gauge whether the front wheels were parallel to the rear wheels on each side by laying the string across the tire and making sure the string touched the front and rear of the tire at the same time. Then I adjusted the tie rod ends simultaneously (equal and opposite turns on each) to make the steering wheel straight. To set the toe-in, I just put the 2x4 against the tires both front and rear, with the right angle piece against the edge of the tread. Then I used the square placed at the same point on the opposite tire, and used the tape measure to get measurements between the square and the 2x4 leg. I took a few measurements, rolling the car a few inches at a time, and just turned the tie rod adjusters equally to get the measurements within 1/8". Must have worked; the car tracks straight, the wheel is straight, and the tires don't seem to be wearing unusually.

OP
S

Sportsdoc

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the help. This will be next weekend's project after I fix the passenger side hub studs.