• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series found a TF in a shed

dennisp

Freshman Member
I just found a TF1500 that has been in a dry shed for 15 years. It is completely disassembled, nothing missing and includes a new set of body timbers, still in the unopened box, from England. Owner died, after he took it apart and now family is selling. Surface rust in shell and fenders. No holes. What is a fair price? thanks for any help. Dennis

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gosh, Dennis... that's a happy/sad circumstance!

Don't know what a disassembled TF should be sold for but if I were to run across the same situation I'd be asking them what they consider a fair value. That said, the project is not for the faint-of-heart, either. If you've T series experience it may be a bit less-so. A one man "Hammer-and-Tongs" approach, with no budgetary concerns and proper craftsmanlike practices would be a six month effort, IMO. That's with 8 hour days, five days a week. Based on that it wouldn't be worth a whole lot as-is if the intent is to recoup the "investment". But the TF is the T series I'd own if I went looking for one.

"Nothing missing" could see me offering $1,000~$1,500 with a contact number to call if they decide it's too low now. Very few will offer more in the condition it's in, IMO. Commercially I can see it being on the upwind side of $30K to do that job.

Just my tuppence-worth. Good luck and keep posting!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
WHEW!! The wood kit alone is worth close to $1500!

TF's are rare autos...but, Doc's correct - not a project for the feint of heart....I'm gonna bet they won't let it go for less that $5,000 even though its a basket case (which should always lower the price because you never know what you're getting).

Remember what my granddad always said...."The guy who mentions money first always loses." Get their price range - if its within yours, buy it! If its too high, leave them your counter offer.

But, be prepared to be shocked!

That said, if they only want around $1500 & you don't want it - call me.....I'll come get it!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"The price of an old car is what the buyer and seller agree on" has been a piece of advice I've always kept to. The "pile" may be worth $5K but the guy willing to PAY that must be found to make that offer.

IMO the frame would be about the only thing guaranteed to be "all there" at this point. The rest is just a disassembled car.

...and parting it out would be criminal, BTW.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]...and parting it out would be criminal, BTW[/QUOTE]
Absolutely!1

Interestingly, I was offered a '37 PA in about the same shape & condition today - in a lot with several GT's, roadsters, factory V8 parts, factory hardtops....lots of stuff....gotta go look at it.

Steve_S

Yoda
I know of lotsa P-Types for sale, including in basket case condition. Someone tried to sucker me into one at the last swap meet I attended.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steve - what sorta price for the basket case PA?

Steve_S

Yoda
I don't quite remember. I shouldn't say basket case because while it was not running and needed restoration, it was also complete, and not rusty or rotted. I think it was $10K. It was a perfect restoration project because all the bits were there and the car is mostly in one piece. Rolls, steers, etc. I just have no desire to do a ground-up on any car at this point, let alone a P-Type.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Gee I wonder where in NY this is /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
SHARKS!!!

I smell SHARKS!!!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy said:
SHARKS!!!

I smell SHARKS!!!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Da....DUM....

Da....DUM....

DaDumDaDumDaDumDaDum....

DA-DA-DA......DUM.

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Dennis - One thing that the others didn't mention, no matter what the price is, it is going to cost you more to restore the car than what you can reasonably expect to ever get out of - that's just the nature of restoring the car. If you want to buy it, restore it and keep it for your enjoyment, then whatever you spend on it is reasonable (all hobbies are expensive). If you expect to get it, restore it and sell it, you won't get your money out of it. That said, I would love to run across something like that.
Cheers,

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahhh, $1505 on that TF.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
$1,510!!!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
11 anyone?/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Me me. $1520

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Several months ago I met a fellow who had a PA and a TD for sale. The PA was in good condition--I saw no significant rust or rot. He said it had been run within the last few years. The TD was rough.

He wanted something like $30K for the both of them. If you're interested send me a PM and I could probably go by his place and get his phone number and pass it along to you.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We just jokeing around. Kind of out of room here.