• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB And now, NO ARP head studs to be found!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Being uncertain just how many times the existing studs have been torqued down, thought it prudent to replace 'em with an ARP stud "kit."

"Out of Stock"

"Back Ordered"

Lots of sites have 'em listed as "SPECIAL!" for under $100.00 tho. Great price when they can't be bought!

One guy even laughed at me, sayin': "You're sh** outta luck, buddy. Don't know who you could call."

Shoulda had a set sitting here along with all the other spares. *sigh*

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No, their website indicated "out of stock" so I was hoping to find someplace with a "kit" still on the shelf. Most of the "usual suppliers" have an April 10th-ish date as restock. No doubt with a price increase. May call them (ARP) tomorrow.

Waiting to see what gasket Moss has sent, may see that tomorrow as well.

Only got so far as to "de-coke" the valves today. Side tracked with cleaning things and running thread chasers.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So, new seals and springs installed after re-seating the valves. The exhaust seats were slightly pock-marked and took some time to lap in but look good to go now. Settled on using a head gasket from BP Northwest: AK660-C. The "C" is for COPPER! Looks to be a fair substitute for the original Payen "sandwich" one. We'll see...

Hopefully assemble today, had delays for some of life's interventions. If this fixes the engine issue it's on to diff ring-and-pinion R&R and new rear seals/bearings, along with driveshaft replacement. That's the last of the running gear renewal for this "Frankenstein" MG. There's evidence the poor thing had a different engine (V-6 or V-8?) at some point, holes in the frame up front and a lot of other oddities when we got it. The diff is a later one, certainly not original to the car. The engine is from another B, we built it out back in the early '90's. It then made a 100-mile daily commute for nearly a decade. We did a rebuild of the bodywork in 2005~6, repainting it back from Amana/Frigidare white to OEM Old English White. Certainly no concourse example, just a good driver.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'd rather have a good driver on the road, than a perfect specimen in a trailer!

Racing Traveller.gif

hubba hubba

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The early head studs are quite durable so I wouldn't worry about changing them in a hurry. Maybe put in a back order and forget about it until the ARP versions show up.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The early head studs are quite durable so I wouldn't worry about changing them in a hurry. Maybe put in a back order and forget about it until the ARP versions show up.
Yup. Bolted down on the originals. Just considered that since I was "in there" the ARP studs would just be prudent. No problem with the existing ones, certainly under-stressed at the 50lb/ft point.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I solved it on my race car by grafting a Twin Cam head onto an MGB block - the bigger studs torque to 70 lbs.? :p

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a spare engine (disassembled) I'd been considering a rebuild on. Not that I'd make it into a T/C mill but: did you have to do much machine work to fit up that head (I assume it was an MGA T/C head) to the 1800? And what did you bore out to?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ISTR you went +0.040" ?

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've a spare engine (disassembled) I'd been considering a rebuild on. Not that I'd make it into a T/C mill but: did you have to do much machine work to fit up that head (I assume it was an MGA T/C head) to the 1800? And what did you bore out to?

It was actually a tremendous amount of work. I used a modified Twin Cam head (flowed, larger valves) on an 18GB block remachined to take the new stud locations, with a competition 5 main crank, punched out to 1950 c and using some Cosworth cam profiles and specially made 12:1 forged pistons.

It was worth the trouble, though, and an interesting exercise.

Details here http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/f/Twin_Cam_conversion.pdf

mgatc.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Downloaded/read the .PDF. That IS a tremendous amount of work! Congratulations.

I think it'd be a better deal here for a street driven MGB to engineer putting one of my spare Lotus T/C mills & a Ford gearbox into it!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Downloaded/read the .PDF. That IS a tremendous amount of work! Congratulations.

I think it'd be a better deal here for a street driven MGB to engineer putting one of my spare Lotus T/C mills & a Ford gearbox into it!

There are numerous other more modern DOHC engines with modern fuel injection available. I have seen Toyota 4AGE, Honda S2000, Miata, Ford Duratec etc.

I have sworn off doing any more transplants since doing my Jamaican MGA with 3.4 GM V6, but I 'twitch' when I think about a modern GM LNF Ecotec in an MG. I have one in one of my street cars (09 Solstice GXP coupe) that I have mildly tuned to 375 bhp/375 Tq.

Pretty much all the modern DOHC engines have the same look as the Lotus did - flat topped cam covers. The Twin Cam looked like a baby Jaguar motor!

MGA_engine_compt.jpg