• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Engine swap and Separating Trans from Block out of car?

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I'm removing the engine and trans. together this time. I have done just the trans on previous occasions but never both. I know what a b***ch it can be removing the trans from inside but, looking for tips on separating after they are out of the car and also putting back together before installing them back into the car. Also, looking for tips on what to hook to when lifting out the engine. Everything, including the head is off, so I'm basically pulling a short block with trans attached. Going back in, I will have the head and some of the other parts on the engine. I'm thinking the head studs might not be the best to attach to for lifting. Also think that might be why I have a cracked block...because a P/O lifted with the studs.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
PHP:
Yep, makes my hair stand up thinking about lifting with the studs. You can do it, but you have to use spacers to get the chain all the way down against the block and lock them tight, so there is absolutely no side load on the studs. I'd be more comfortable using mounting holes perpendicular to the angle of the chain...like bell housing bolts and front engine mounts.

For lifting, balance is the key.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
If the head is still available, why not just pop it on with an old gasket (I save everything) and use the lifting eyes? Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Or even without the gasket (which is what I have done). I don't bother with lifting eyes though (early cars didn't have them), just drop a chain link over the stud and thread a nut & washer down on it.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have no "lifting eyes" and didn't bother to find some. I just used my nylon tow rope, wrapped around the engine a couple times, tight and lifted in out. Did the same thing to put it back in -but going back in, the body was off the frame so it was much simplified. One of those "chain levelers" are very useful when the body is there as you have to tilt the trans way down to get the engine in place. The gas pedal linkage will only flex so much until it bends. Theoritically, you could take the linkage apart and re-install after the engine is back in place, but the linkage will not go in (as one piece) once the engine is in place.

Nylon doesn't scratch the paint, but the engine/trans/mounts sure can.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Tex I like the idea of the nylon strap. And I hear youon the gas pedal because I left it off once and freaked out, but I kept fiddling around with it and got back in somehow. Clay one thing you might consider is taking the motor mounts completely off the frame and not just the center nut out or the motor might bind. Moreover get the car high enough in the front so the tail shaft will clear the floor. Putting the Trans back on the engine is easy. Various size blocks of wood or a small scissor jack to level stuff out helps also.