• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Swap question

jtsauls

Freshman Member
I have a 1964 MK1 Midget with the quarter eliptic springs and 1098 engine. The 1098 is rebuildable and would probably be the easy way to go, but I also have a 1500 engine and trans from a 74-75 Spitfire. I know some of you are not going to like the idea of me swapping these engines, but has anyone on here performed this swap? I am not worried about the heater or wiring. We may not even put the heater back in as this will be a fair weather car. I also plan on using a Painless wiring harness and getting a custom radiator built. I'm not out to "restore" the car, but rather make a fun driver. I have heard that the 1275 is a much better option and a bolt in, but those aren't that easy to come by. My engine builder thinks he can build a nice little 1500 with what I have and his access to parts since he is in the racing industry.

Will I need to worry about significant fab work for the motor and trans mounts, etc... I can have a custom driveshaft made if needed.

Thanks for any info that you can provide!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No one does this. 1500 engines are for rubber bumper cars.....to much work, to expensive when other alternatives are available.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree with Jack...1500 would be a bad choice....which 1098 engine do you have? The one with small mains or the one with large mains?

boxfullofyertoys

jlaird said:
No one does this. 1500 engines are for rubber bumper cars.....to much work, to expensive when other alternatives are available.

That sounds like all the reason I would need to do something like that :smile:

Then again, I have a rubber bumper Midget, so I'm a tad bias...I'm proud to be part of the black sheep division!

In all honesty though, if I were in your shoes I'd stick with a 1275...it'd be much less of a headache. I'm sure if you do your homework you can locate one. Sometimes the hunt is as fun as the find!

Btw - if you do decide to go 1275, let me know...I'm looking for a good 1500 to rebuild! Either way, good luck!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
jtsauls said:
I am not sure which one I have. I just know that it's a 1098 because of the "1100" stamping on the block.
What's the engine number?

G

I didn't thinnk it would be that big of a deal. As long as you hve the right motor mounts and trans, it should go right in, right?

Doesn't the 1500 use a better trans?

OP
J

jtsauls

Freshman Member
The little plate that is typically riveted(?)to the top of the block is missing, so I am not sure what the number is.... Is there somewhere else I can look?

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Find a 1275, rebuild, dump em in there, done

Pat

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
jtsauls said:
The little plate that is typically riveted(?)to the top of the block is missing, so I am not sure what the number is.... Is there somewhere else I can look?
No...maybe Jack or someone else knows.

CraigZ

Go 1275 with a Rivergate Nissan tranny conversion and be done with it. Easier to do, gets an excellent tranny with overdrive.

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
Hello, I think I am the person who sold you the engine from douglasville. the car was a 76 Midget if that helps. if you need the car VIN let me know as that may help with the eng. number.

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I didn't thinnk it would be that big of a deal. As long as you hve the right motor mounts and trans, it should go right in, right?[/QUOTE]

I believe it requires modifying the front cross member, so requires cutting and welding on a MAJOR structural component. But I do not speak from personal experience.

RickB

Yoda
If you're looking to get a speeding ticket let me suggest the Nissan 1500.
Not too much modification needed and you can find them with the right 5 speed tranny attached.

Way less money than the Rivergate way too.

You find them in Datsun 210's around 1978 - 1980. The motor & tranny fit the car but some modifications are needed for motor mounts.

OP
J

jtsauls

Freshman Member
Hey Alan. Good to know you are on this forum. Thanks for clarifying the year of the 1500 motor. I found some numbers on that one, so I should be ok. The engine number plate is missing on the 1098 that I have in the car right now, though.

I would really like to swap the 1500 into the car. I know some people aren't fond of this idea, but if I can make it work without any major structural work then I will proceed. If not, I'll keep the motor and trans and use it for a future project :smile:

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A couple more things you should keep in mind for this swap. None of these are deal breakers, but will cause you some trouble.

The radiator and pluming is different, so you may need to find a radiator out of a '75-'79 Midget. The sheet metal on the front of the rubber bumper cars is different so it may take some work to fit the later model radiator

The heater has it's core plumed on the opposite side, so that will take some new pluming or a '75-'79 Midget heater box.

The Triumph 1500 has its intake and exhaust on the opposite side than the A series. You'll need to relocate the coil and other engine electrical to the left side of the engine compartment as well as run the exhaust over to the right.

You will need a '75-'79 drive shaft.

Since you have a dual bore master cylinder in your '64 you may have a problem with the clutch slave of the 1500 gearbox not working with your master.

Rich Ball
’76 Midget
Everett, WA

OP
J

jtsauls

Freshman Member
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I'll let you know how things work out. I did some crawling around and measuring, etc... and it looks doable. I'll know a lot more when I try to actually mock up the 1500. Hopefully I can get to that point within the next couple weeks. If it works, great. If not, at least I already have a 1098 to rebuild.

nomad

Yoda
If your 1098 has a crankcase vent to ground it probably is a 10CG small crank engine. Side cover to PCV it probably is a 10CC big crank. Big crank 1098 is only rated at 6 horse less than 1275 and in my opinion is a sweet running little engine.
You will have to cut and reenforce brace where steering rack mounts plus a bunch of other mods.
I'm with Rick, A15 datsun would be easier with better reliability and 5 speed.
If you want a challenge check out a 4AGE toyota as one of the guys on this list is doing. Serious HP!!!!! Rotary Mazda!?
KA.

G

VB shows a different subframe assembly for the 1500. That could be for extra clearance, or just different motor mount possions. I would have to GUESS at this point some modification will be involved, but I can't say where. I have a RB car here that had a 1275 in it. IF.....and only if I get a chance, I'll drag it out and see what they had to do to get the 1275 in it. I know that's the opposite direction of where you're going, but it'll give you an idea.

G

nomad said:
If your 1098 has a crankcase vent to ground it probably is a 10CG small crank engine. Side cover to PCV it probably is a 10CC big crank. Big crank 1098 is only rated at 6 horse less than 1275 and in my opinion is a sweet running little engine.
You will have to cut and reenforce brace where steering rack mounts plus a bunch of other mods.
I'm with Rick, A15 datsun would be easier with better reliability and 5 speed.
If you want a challenge check out a 4AGE toyota as one of the guys on this list is doing. Serious HP!!!!! Rotary Mazda!?
KA.

.......not a bad idea either, just be carefull it doesn't get away from you and you wind up with a 5 year project. (that's why I haven't pulled mine down yet.)

I think you're looking for back on the road fast and cheap. In that case, I'd judt rebuild what you have and plan for a more powerful swap later if you wish.