• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 dgv's on tr6 again

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
in need of help. tuned car, timing, valves, compression good, fuel mix good, idles great but when i throttle up it sounds like its sucking air and stalls. so i decided to check float levels, they were low so i adjusted as per manual, 39mm with 11mm of range. but while i had them off noticed one cover had a brass orifice pressed in on the secondary side and the other did not. don't know what to call it, it didn't show in the manual. any thoughts?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sam- best way. Join a site like photo bucket
https://photobucket.com/
Then you can download all your pics there . Have different files. Files within files.I probably have a couple thousand there.
It's free. After you download there it will show you different options for posting pics.
Right Click on the IMG line and hit copy then paste where you want. Pretty easy

Here's mine
https://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/donkelly23/

OP
S

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
i can post pics with email never any problem with that but i don't see a way to add attatchments with this site. my wife can't figure it out either and she is pretty good at this stuff

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You can't just add photos like email. Most sites are like that

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
In full reply mode (or when creating a new thread), there is a File Manager link at the bottom. That brings up a window that lets you browse and upload files. Depending on your level, you may only be allowed one image, and there are limits on the file size.

Attachments

• 26875.png
    26875.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 26876.png
    26876.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 313
OP
S

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
i've figured out how to post pics i think. it says max file size 100kb, set my camera at its poorest quality got a shot which props tells me is 76kb, when i try to load it i get a message telling me max is 100. where am i going astray

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sam, Why are you so stubborn. Use Photobucket and they can be big

Like this
Moon.jpg

OP
S

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
IMG_0211-Copy.jpg
if you look at the top right portion of the right throat you will see a brace orifice pressed into one and not the other cover, is this a problem? i would think both carbs should be identical.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Does the tube shaped casting that the brass is pressed into open into the float chamber ?

Was that picture downloaded from photobucket ? Pretty slick once you get the hang of it ..

OP
S

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
first, thanks to everyone for the help. poolboy, that is photobucket thanks to your advice and my lovely wife who understood it. to me cut copy and paste involves pen paper scissors and glue. now back to my problem, that fitting is pressed into the cover and runs through a tube to the power valve diaphram, in the carb body it runs down the side of the carb to the base. don't know where it comes out. i have a haynes manual but it doesn't have that much info. i pulled the jets out and they appear to be reversed, primary is 1.35 and sec is 1.40, could that be my problem. once again car is tuned and idles great but when i rev it it sounds as though it is sucking air and dies

OP
S

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
update, the supplier is going to send me a new cover properly fitted. now is anybody out there who has the dgv setup on their car(tr6) and if so how is it set up ie: float levels, idle jet sizes, main jets, etc.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I've driven 2 TR6 with 32/36 carbs both ran very well.
I bought a pair from one of the guys when he converted to TBI. . I examined ALL the jets and compared the size to what is listed in the link I posted to "Original Specifications". That's what they were..original

OP
S

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
ok, i know you are probably getting tired of me but while i am waiting on the carb cover i decided to check the jet sizes and double check the float levels. as i said earlier the main jets appear to be reversed, i changed them now the pri is 1.40 and sec is 1.35. the pri idle jet is .50 and the sec is .45 as delivered new. that spec sheet says .55 and .50 respectively, is that possibly my problem? next, how should the float level be measured (from the cover surface or the gasket surface, to the top of the float or the bottom) those specs say 46.5, right now mine are set at 39 from cover surface to bottom of float, as per the haynes manual

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I think you are measuring the float level correctly with respect to from point to point, but the level may need adjusting. Why not split the difference to 42+ ?.
I don't know what the consequences would be by having the jets reversed. Are you sure they are according to the illustration ?. I'd set it up exactly to original spec.and remove that variable in the equation, so to speak.

OP
S

samstr

Freshman Member
Country flag
i think i'm getting close. everything is set to spec with the exception of the floats, i set them according to the redline specs (where i bought them) 18mm from the gasket surface to the top of float with a drop to 23mm. i used the spec sheet poolboy posted, the only thing i had to change was the idle jets. set the timing using the vacuum method and ended up at 14 degree's. still have a slight hesitation off idle but haven't finished fine tuning. i have a slight puff of grayish smoke when i rev off idle. any thoughts or opinions

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doing good.
I went the chicken way when I had that carb on my Capri.
Had a crotchety old Ferrari man do it.