• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WEBER DGV - what fuel pump / regulator do you use?

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Hi all,

Just wondering what fuel pump and/or fuel pressure regulator everyone is using with their DGV/DGAV/DGEV setups. Details, impressions?

As I understand it, the DGVs require low pressure (2-4 PSI?) and high volume. I have left the mech fuel pump in for now, and put in a Holley low-pressure regulator. Haven't driven it enough to be able to give a verdict... I have to imagine that that much back-pressure must be hard on the pump. From a bit of web research, seems like some suggest the low-pressure Carter 'green' pump, mounted down by the gas tank?

Thanks in advance,
Duncan

68Sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Go with the Carter P4070 it is perfect for the Weber carb setup. I'm running one on mine and have been very pleased. No regulator on this setup by the way.

FuelPump.jpg

MyCars011.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I just recently put a Carter P60504 in-line pump on the Alfa and so-far it's been fine. Plenty volume, low pressure. Twin DCOE's, BTW.

OP
tosoutherncars

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Well that was lucky... ebay auctions ending in the middle of the night, when I was the only MG-addicted insomniac bidding on them! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Carter 4070 on the way, and a Crane LX92 coil to go with the Crane Fireball electronic ignition! I think I might be compensating for too much snow...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, that works just fine.

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Hey Duncan, I was running a Napa elec pump. Fairly common square one with the same holley reglator you have. Back pressure shoulding hurt that mech pump though as it is simply a diapham it will only slow down flow. Now with the su i kept my mech pump and the regulator but also the napa 12v. The napa pump will actually pump through the mechanical pump. I use it only to "prime" the system when it sits too long. Block off plate though. Yep you got it. I have to tell you though, this single su makes my dgv look like a kindergardener. (HS4) Performs sooooooo much better. That weber just always required too much adjusting and maintenence. SU is dialing in 1 pin and keeping it topped with oil. A rebuilt su is the way to go.

OP
tosoutherncars

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info! Just for the sake of cleanliness, I think I'd rather pull the mech pump, but I know a lot of the guys with earlier cars run a cube inline with their stock pump, in case of failure! The belt & braces approach, as my grandfather would have said.

Why was your DGV dropping out of tune? Anything in particular? I'm hoping that, once it's all tuned up, it shouldn't be bad... certainly, anything is better than the craptacular CD150. And the bay looks much nicer without those hot water pipes running everywhere!

But yes, a nice set of SUs or similar would definitely be nice... I'm trying not to spend *too* much time modding the Midget, it's supposed to be my driving car! (summer, of course) The VW is my official 'project' car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif