• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bug eye, id help please

jeff1977

Freshman Member
Ok Hello, i am new here i love the site. I have bought a few sprites, One for parts, its year is unknown but it has out side door handles, and steel bumpers? Next is a 64 with a later mg motor, almost complete, prob the one i will work on and keep. And the third car is an early bug eye, Not sure of the year maybe you dudes could help me out. It has pins on the windsheild top and the body number on the frame next to the engine is AN5L /1409. Any help would be appreciated? PS i live in Cedar City utah, I love vw cars but am giving the british stuff a try. Thanks jeff

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the forum!
Most all of your questions can get answered here! What we don't know, we make up. Not really.
A AN5L/1409 was a 1958 Bugeye, which was a left hand drive, and was made in approximately May of 1958. The switch-over to the two snap and rod windshield did not occur until about number 4333, which was made in September of 1958.
Good luck with your projects.
Scott in CA

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good luck on your projects. I'm up in Midway myself. I'd recommend joining the British Motor Club of Utah (I'm the web guy for them): https://www.britishmotorclub.org. No cost, and there are a few of us Spridget guys around who can help you out. Mostly around SLC, but we have members all over the state.

Spridget parts are all pretty interchangeable (my Bugeye has the motor, transmission, and brakes from a '74 Midget). Bugeyes, for whatever the reason, tend to be more valuable so if the body of the Bugeye you have is in restorable shape it might be a good one to work on. They're all fun, though, so just dig in and enjoy!

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
Thanks for the quick reply's, I will poke arround on the utah based club, I have one concern about all these cars, maybe you can lend a hand? I am a pretty big guy, 6 foot 5, I am tring to round up a seat or two, So i can have test fit, but not to sure if i will fit?. I buy cars on excitement, If i like them i buy them. lol sometimes i dont think to far ahead. I will continue to tinker arround with them. And let you all know the outcome. Photos to come. Thanks again for your help. JEFF
oldoval@q.com
435-590-9980

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
"BTW.....Bugeyes>VW's" We will see.......... LOL i have a soft spot for those crazy german cars too....thanks

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You'll be surprised at how much room there is, though they are small cars. I'm 6' 1" with big feet, and I fit pretty well. If you're ever up in Midway (in the Heber Valley) you're welcome to swing by and have a seat in my Bugeye to see how you fit.

One note -- the Bugeyes and early side-screen equipped Spridgets are the roomiest of all of the Spridgets. Slightly thinner seats and more elbow room with no window mechanism. The later cars can get a bit tight.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You will not fit in a midget, you will fit closely in a Bugeye. Bugeye seat backs are thinner by several inchs and without windows in the door you have three to four inchs for your arm on the left side.

There is no question in my mind, do the Bugeye.

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
Ok i picked the cars up, The bug eye is better off than i thought, alot of the little parts are still there, The engine number looks to be correct to the car, The worst part of the car is someone cut the rear deck behind the seat so that a later convert top would fit. O well its just metal and can be fixed. I plan on parting out the 64 or older sprite that came with the car so i can post a new add for that. Here is a photo or two. Thanks guys think?

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
O ya it took me 20 min to post the picture, sorry i cant figure out anything bigger........

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Pic was kind of neat, it led to your alblems.

Bugeye looks like a winner from here.

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
I didnt even know what i was doing, but i just clicked on my photo to, like you said takes you to my photo bucket.lol Thanks jeff

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
That's cool that the bugeye has wire wheels! Don't see too many of those.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Interesting about the rear deck being cut back. That's the second time since Friday that this has come up. Was this a common practice?

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
This car came with two sets of wire wheels, In the reading i have done, some one has added them, they didnt come on the bugeye? And about the rear deck question, I dont know if it was common, but it would for sure make it easy to get stuff out and in to the trunkless car? I am going to save the sprite piece i cut up on the parts car, to go with this bug eye, wont be correct, but it will at least have a nice finished edge, with the matching trim. thanks guys JEFF

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had a bugeye back in the early 60s with the cut back. Was real nice for groceries, kids, etc.

nomad

Yoda
Being tall you may want that modification to gain an inch or so. Seems like one of the Healey familys bugeye's were modified that way----may have even been Donald's,if my memory serves correctly. It has benefits as others have mentioned. Hopefully it was done well or can be corrected with later spridget parts.
Kurt.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My Bugeye also had this modification way back when. The guy I bought it from repaired it and it now looks stock.

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
It was not done correct, but i have the a nice spridget parts car with a good section to cut and weld in, and the trim piece to finish it all off. Thanks for all your help, JEFF

OP
jeff1977

jeff1977

Freshman Member
Well, sad to say, i have allready given up on the sprite projects....... I just cant get excited about them. Think I will look for a morris minor or mabye a larger austin or Mg? You dudes have been very helpfull on the fourm, and i appreciate your kindness, but i am going to list them for sale, OR TRADE?
Here is the run down on the 64 sprite, I have alot of extra parts, The body is pretty solid, worst part of the body is where someone put a biger mg motor in it they welded a hump on the hood to clear the carbs. Motor is untested but previous owner said it was the larger mg that ran good? Needs wireing ect. I have a complete extra dash with gauges, radio ect, The windsheild is cracked, it has some ugly late model gm seats in it, No top, It is early enough that it doesnt have have roll up windows, or out side handles. It has an extra set of nice black wheels with stainless center caps. It is saging in the left rear but included is a rear suspension section cut out of another car, with springs drive line rear end. ect. There is also a decent extra trunk. This car has a clean idaho title. This car is a project as is, but doesnt look like it would need a whole bunch to get it on the road? I would like to sell the car and extra parts for $800..

Here is What i know about the bug eye. It seems to be a very early 1958, It is in need of a complete restoration, The body has the usuall rust spots but it is not to bad for a 52 year old convertible, The only parts that i can see it is missing is the top, seat bottoms and a front bumper.
It has wire wheels with 4 extras, an extra engine,and complete front end with steering included.Two or three sets of side curtans , There are three front ends, ie hood ect. One is very nice shape, one has a big dent in it and one is very rough for parts. Also extra peddles and ect. There are side curtans but they are rough, I will post some more photos this weekend when i can take them, I would like it with all its extra parts for $1800 cash

I would make someone a package deal if you want to take them both and all there parts $2400.00
This is a big project, But i think that someone should restore this early car and give it the love it deserves.
Call me if you like 435-590-9980 oldoval@q.com PHOTOS THIS WEEK END
Or trades for a moris minor, or somthing alittle larger than these two cars.?LOL Old VWs always welcome. Thanks JEFF