• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Washed the Ugly Bug

Country flag
Well, I just washed my car for the first time in 15 months. The Krylon paint is holding up quite well. More importantly, I washed the engine bay with a thorough drenching spray and the engine started and ran fine. This is important because I'm going to make a long trip this weekend in the rain.

This may be the last hurrah for the Ugly Bug, I'm considering disassembling it this winter to start on the body work.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Trevor Jessie said:
Well, I just washed my car for the first time in 15 months. The Krylon paint is holding up quite well. More importantly, I washed the engine bay with a thorough drenching spray and the engine started and ran fine. This is important because I'm going to make a long trip this weekend in the rain.

This may be the last hurrah for the Ugly Bug, I'm considering disassembling it this winter to start on the body work.

Now you know you can't have a thread like this without pics. :jester:

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Here are a couple pics taken from my cell phone.

Attachments

• 18499.jpg
    18499.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 18500.jpg
    18500.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 205
OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
The picture doesn't do it justice. It is pretty beat up and painted with a Krylon Semi-Flat rattle can. The seat backs are original and the lower cushions are made from scrap vinyl from my Midget project. The carpet is cheap stuff from Lowes, and the rear bumpers were painted as well since they were rusted out (like the grill). The windscreen frame also needs new chrome. I would have left it multi coloured but my wife would not let me.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Trevor Jessie said:
The picture doesn't do it justice. It is pretty beat up and painted with a Krylon Semi-Flat rattle can. The seat backs are original and the lower cushions are made from scrap vinyl from my Midget project. The carpet is cheap stuff from Lowes, and the rear bumpers were painted as well since they were rusted out (like the grill). The windscreen frame also needs new chrome. I would have left it multi coloured but my wife would not let me.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. It looks like it shines where
it ought to. I love it when much attention is paid to the running gear FIRST. That engine looks bad to the bone.
SWEET ride!
:thumbsup:

bugimike

Yoda
Funny, Trevor, I was just talking with Phil Burke yesterday and the Ugly Bug came up in conversation re: all the fun he had riding the back-roads at Lake of the Ozarks. We were talking about the color etc. What are you going to do after the bodywork is done as far as color?

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
I just can't decide. I'm leaning towards a dark non metallic blue with tan top and interior.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:

But her spirit will live on...

I bet she'd look good in that Blue.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The ugly bug looks preaty darn preaty to me.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I like that flat black look, sorry, I feel like I have to apologize for that somehow but I just like the "rat rod" thing.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Looks nice Mike,but that color is not dark enough for me. I saw a porsche boxster that had a nice blue.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Trevor Jessie said:
Here are a couple pics taken from my cell phone.

Wow, that's not so ugly! I was expecting something else, I guess :smile:

YOu should have seen my first LBC - a 76 Spitfire. Hardly a straight and solid panel on the car, orange and primer, had to replace the fuel pump about twice a month (or it seemed that way!)

This was around 1995.

It was my primary driver - and I remember my boss at the time commenting on my job performance. Due to dealing with mechanical issues, I started missing work. It was the ugly Spitfire that almost got me fired.

So anyway - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and uglybug looks pretty damned cool to me! :smile:

CraigZ

Ugly schmugly - I love it in the semigloss black paint. Looks evil. What's not to like?

Same sort of philosophy as me - get it running good and don't sweat the appearance until it's running right.

MidgetRtRr.jpg

MidgetLeftFrnt.jpg

Whoever put the blaze orange paint on my car didn't prep it that well as it's flaking off the left fender...bonnet is dented, boot lid is dented, interior has autumn leaf seats over black carpet and panels. Original grill was trashed but I had the tiger tooth which I prefer anyway; ditto the clear turn signal lenses. But the suspension is solid and tube shocks all the way around, tranny is Nissan, fat sway bar up front. Corners like crazy but has stock engine. One day the paint and body will get addressed, then the interior...I have a set of steel disc wheels for it and will get the backup lights smoothed over as well as the side marker lights...

bugimike

Yoda
As per my discussion with Phil re Trevor's Ugly Bug, while it really looks cool, truckers seem to have a hard time seeing it, isn't that right Trevor? :wink:

nomad

Yoda
Trevor, you can't finish it! You'll have to change your handle here on the forum!
Looks a lot better than many of the"rat rods" on the road and I must say as to the "rat" movement that I admire the low buck aspect.
The main thing is that they are FUN.
KA