• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 dash installation sequence?

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is there a sequence that would make the dash installation simple? Should the steering column be loose, should the heater controls be preinstalled, can it be installed with the gage section center section and glove box section attached to each other, etc. Thanks for your help and have a good day!

John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John_Progess said:
Is there a sequence that would make the dash installation simple?

---No there is nothing simple about IT particularly if you installing new wooden dash panels.

Should the steering column be loose,
---No this is not necessary.

should the heater controls be preinstalled,
---This might help a bit if the heater is installed on the firewall

-- can it be installed with the gage section center section and glove box section attached to each other,

--Yes but you will need to be a contortionist . very high on patience and have a good vocabulary of bad words may also help.
etc. Thanks for your help and have a good day!
More comments from our members will follow stay tuned.---Keoke

John

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I just installed mine. As said above, connect all three pieces, put as much of the dash switches in the middle section as possible prior to instalation. If you need pictures, let me know.

jerry
67 BJ8

OP
J

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keoke,
My vocabulary of bad words has grown tremendously since I started this car and is still growing! I don't know if it helps the car but it makes me feel better. I did make new wood panels and the heater is installed but not the seats which should help a bit.
Jerry,
Good advice, I will attach the three main pieces with switches installed.

Thanks and have a good day!

John

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I made up some new words yesterday as I put the spare tire in the boot and managed to smash my finger on the prop rod holder. The really dumb thing is that I did it last weekend also. This time it left me with a better reminder, I took off about 3/4 inch of skin. Maybe that will make me remember to move my left hand.

Installing the three pieces of the dash were not that bad. Try the fit of the console part, that is a tight fit.

Jerry
BJ8 Almost done
BN4

richch

Jedi Trainee
Start by assembling the left and right sections to the middle section, wood, chrome surround strips, etc.
Carefully install the glove box interior pocket onto the back side of the dash.
Install the door and all the associated bits.
Install all the gauges and instruments, direction indicator assemblies, choke cable sleeve(get it good and tight) etc. to the dash assembly
Do not install the toggle switches or ignition switch to the dash yet, but do install the appropriate wiring to them and leave them hanging for now.
Have the heater assembly, air duct, hoses, etc. already installed in place.
Have the heater control panel and associated cables fastened to the heater assembly and hanging by the cables.
Hang the complete dash assembly, fitting the two outboard studs mounted to the back side of the left and right wood through their mounting brackets and the two upper corner screws of the centre panel fitted through their under dash bracket, and run the flat washers, lock washers and nuts on finger tight only for now.
Now, with the car completely void of interior, (also helps greatly to not have the steering wheel yet fitted) lie flat on your back under the driver's side and with a good light and wiring diagram handy, install the wiring harness to all these components.
Fit the heater control panel assembly in to the dash aperture from behind. Some cable routing and adjustments will be needed so everything fits "comfortably".
Fit each of the 4 switches and the ignition switch through the switch panel, offer up the chrome switch plate from the front and install the locking rings.
Install the oil pressure line to the back of the gauge, not forgetting the little leather sealing ring.
From the passenger's side, install the glove box interior liner support plate from bulkhead to bottom of liner.
Climb out and observe if the dash assembly needs to be centred from right to left. It's normal to have to shim washers between the end support brackets and the side bulkheads. Remember that the side kick panels also need to fit into this gap.

OP
J

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rich,
Trying to figure where the wood sections and the center section align for attachment, I temporarly attached the left, right, and center sections to the body. I tightened the end bolts thru the aluminum pieces on the backside of the wood sections to the body with the side kick panels already installed. Then I marked where the wood sections aligned with the center metal section. With the end bolts tight and the three sections screwed together it will be a very tight fit. Should I leave some slack in the end bolts (thru the kick panels) and then mark where the wood sections meet the center metal section? This would allow for a little side to side adjustment and use the shims you mentioned. Is there some other method to determine how the wood sections and center metal section align? Thanks for your detailed description and have a good day!

John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes John, I also felt that Rich's instructions were mostly beneficial to those reinstalling a previously installed dash. Similarly, I do not like having the choke cable waving about when trying to fit the dash. It is usually the last thing I install SO I can adjust the lettering to be horizontal when the choke is off. To tighten the barrel up only requires that you cut a slot in a cheap socket so it can be slid over the cable onto the securing nut. FWIW--Keoke