• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any Brain Matter in the BCF on this baby!!

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Got the itch for something Italian this spring...to add to the Brit and the German Babes....was looking at the Alfa Romeo's but this Fiat model caught my eye and for the right price...maybe...who can share what they know on this classic...thanks

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Covered-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Little 850 - as I remember they rusted as quickly as British cars...had little power & overheated....but, my memory might be foggy.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Those things were about as anemic as they came back then.

But I LOVED 'em! Great looking little darlings, and that's an early one with the headlight covers. I'd be sorely tempted myself!

Side note: The good-guy cop in "Ninja III - Domination" drove one.

philman

Jedi Knight
I used to work at a gas station that raced one of these. same class as bug eye sprites and midgets. faster in the turns, but couldn't keep up in the strait track. didn't win many races, but I got a lot of parts off the race car for my personal 850 spider.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Put that money toward an Alfa. 850's are so anemic they couldn't pull th' skin off a rice pudding. :smirk:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I think Jeff (Bugeye58) has one.

If you like tiddlers, they're fun. NOT torque-monsters by any means!

There are two of these that race with me in VRG.

There's a brown one on this page:

https://photos.at-speed.com/gallery/2544238_Jioft#P-1-12

And a red one on one of the later pages in this set
(and actually, there's pictures of my car as you flip through those pages too).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
IIRC, Jeff's is an Abarth breathed-on one. A -monster- by comparison to the standard 850.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
IIRC, Jeff's is an Abarth breathed-on one. A -monster- by comparison to the standard 850.

I remember an Abarth Coupe that autocrossed in S. Louisiana. Sounded like a chainsaw ripping through the cones! MAN, was it quick!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Here's a vid of me racing an Abarth 1300 OTS Coupe at Watkins Glen last Fall.
(sorry for the crappy resolution....I've bought a new camera since then).

UYpy0V4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Plus: here's an 850 sales flyer
8504.jpg

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Man, I love the 850s.I am not a little guy by any means, but stil... I want a coupe though. I figure that there has to be a way to fit a 124 twincam and spice things up a bit. Still, premium gas is 3.75 at some stations around here, an 850 stocker might be just the ticket for commuting. I had a Rabbit diesel years ago, and it had a sticker on the back that said "Too Slow?? Too Bad!!!" Might be just the thing...

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had one back in the early 70's and had a great time with it. Was quick enough for me to be labeled a persistent violator by the local cops. They are not water tight even with the removable hard top I had, or at least mine wasn't but I guess no worse than any LBC. Pay careful attention to the upper front shock mounts as they had a tendency to punch through the body. Easiest car in the world to pull an engine on. Not winter friendly as I so vividly remember freezing my appendages off. I became an expert drifter in the snow and ice though. It never went out of control.

OP
BIBBER

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Thanks gents....I did BID but no go on meeting the reserve....ain't worth anymore to me....BTW: my wife appreciates you all curbing my impulse purchases!!!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Bibber. don't feel bad. you're not missing much. If you really want a Fiat go for the 124. I had an 850. Biggest heap I ever had. Floors rotted out, steering would start to bind up if you drove 500 miles without pumping them full of grease, timing chains jumped. parts are not easy to find. RUN! take your wallet and RUN!
I was offered a nice one for free. I actually declined it. And I am one of the biggest suckers for orphaned old cars.

G

Had a 132 way back. Good car when it ran, but it rusted to the point that one of the front wheels turned in on itself as it was going down the road.

Luckily it wasn't going fast at the time...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rust mites seem to have a real penchant for the Italian steel.

Country flag
Impulse purchases.....?? My wife would be mad at me too if I filled our garage with Isuzus. :smile: There, that should sufficiently warp some brain matter! LoL

bugimike

Yoda
The ONLY reason I do not still own my old '69 Fiat 124SC (coupe) is that it was eaten by rust and went to the scrap-yard as a heap of iron oxide!! Otherwise they are GREAT cars!! I should have kept the engine and tranny to drop into a Spridget! I always wanted to do that, if only so I could call it a Fidget! :jester:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I know of a completely rebuilt 1300 Fiat T/C for sale here, Mike! :laugh: Mebbe a 1600 as well. You want one?!?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I agree mike. the 124 was a nice car. I woulden't mind having one. But someone would have to leave a bag of money in the glovebox of an 850 before I'd consider taking it as a gift.(ok they're not really that bad....but I still don't care for them.)
Doc,"Rust mites seem to have a real penchant for the Italian steel"
is that what they mean by "Italians have good taste"?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I know of a completely rebuilt 1300 Fiat T/C for sale here, Mike! :laugh: Mebbe a 1600 as well. You want one?!?

Is the T/C a model number? - I'm not visualizing the car