• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alloy brake drums from TRF

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say that I finally received my aluminum brake drums from TRF....after 13 months of back order.

I had actually forgotten about them until TRF called to see if I still wanted them. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened them up. They're Brembo items; Very very nice and fit like a glove. Still haven't had a chance to test drive it yet, but I thought I'd pass along my experience so far.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
from the sound of Charles Runyon's email he sold all of 'em... now do you have to wait another 13 months if you order now?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I just ordered a set as soon as I got the email special. I also ordered complete hydraulics for my car including new lines, so I hope that I got the order in on time before he sold out.

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
Well, I'm starting to feel guilty. I ordered a set when the special first came out and I've already received them. I haven't put them on yet but they look good.

Bryan

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Actually, I'm in no particular rush for these, since some other part will end up on BO and I'm waiting until I have everything ready to go before I take it for this one.

I do have some rear backing plates and front dust shields that I want to get powder coated before assembly, so that will take awhile as well.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If I read the sales email the other day, they have found their own people to manufacture these. So turnaround should be quicker.

They had a good deal on aluminum radiators this past week.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I think that they buy the castings somewhere stateside and have a machine shop do the cutting and add the steel inserts.

PeterK

Yoda
They are Brembo drums for a 240-280Z that TRF has machined to fit the TR backing plate and center hole. So, good stuff. It's not much cheaper to do your own and a good deal for $100 each.

G

These must be the same Alfin-style finned aluminum rear drums that I bought from TRF a few years ago. Have performed well. I went the bling route and sprayed my yellow with some thinned brake caliper paint to match my yellow front calipers. I don't feel that a ultra-thin coat of paint has hampered my heat dissipation.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I just spoke to Dave at TRF. They had sold out of the drums prior to my order getting in the system, so I have a 1-2 month wait, but I am close to the top of the list for the next generation of drums.

One the good side, he did receive the calipers that I sent for rebuilding, he has all of my new brake lines set aside to be bent on Saturday and the calipers will be disassembled and tanked for cleaning by Friday.

It looks as though all other parts are in stock, so I'll probably have everything but the drums by the end of next week.

The backing plates and caliper dust shields/brackets should be here next week and will go to the powder coater by the weekend.

Now I really have to get that frame degreased and POR 15'd.

G

Bugeye58 said:
How much do these weigh versus the stock drums?
Jeff

Heck, I don't know the exact diff, but they do weigh a lot less. They are a Japanese transplant, Mazda maybe?? I didn't bother to drill for the set screw to keep them on the hub when the wheel is off. They stay well enough. One thing, be careful if your car is on blocks and you have the rear wheels off and you decide to crank the engine and put it in gear for whatever reason and you notice your nice, yellow Alfin-style brake drums fly across the room like a frisbee. Ask me how I know this.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
LOL!!! That reminds me of the time when I was apprenticing and one of the older techs told me never to spin a wheel bearing with compressed air to dry it after cleaning. Being a young and foolish smart A--, I decided to do it (just a little) anyhow.

You can't believe how much damage one of those flying bearings will do the paint on the hood of a big ol' 67 Olds 98!

No, there was no way I could talk my way out of that one and yes, I had to pay for the paint work out of my own pocket for not listening to my tradesman's advice.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR6BILL said:
Heck, I don't know the exact diff,
Being cursed with an enquiring mind (and tired of tripping over them), I just did some weighing with my new digital scale (on sale, $20 @ Sports Chalet). Alloy drum (not Brembo, sourced at local FLAPS) 6.0 pounds; TR3A 9" cast iron drum 9.6 pounds. So you can save a whopping 7.2 pounds with a pair of these.

(Actually, stock TR6 drums might be an ounce or two lighter than the TR3A items. They don't look quite as beefy, but I didn't drag one out to measure.)
TR6BILL said:
They are a Japanese transplant, Mazda maybe??
Datsun 240-260Z (maybe 280Z also).[/quote]