• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

About to jump in, feet first

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Hello all, I would like to begin with a little story.
A couple of years ago I drove a 1990 Mazda MX5 owned by a very good friend. I enjoyed it a great deal. As I have been wanting a little rag top for some time I thought this would be the logical choice, and I started to search. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. One lazy rainy Saturday I happened to drive by a white "71" Midget. I thought I should at least give it a try and perhaps be able to cross it off a mental list. Big Mistake, I took her for a short spin, and like my first ever proper Ale, I was in love. I have looked at several since, and now I believe the stars have aligned and I found "the one". It is rather unusual in that it has a louvered hood, shaved exterior door handles and very glossy black paint job. Of course I am attracted to a more traditional look, but this one just seems so right.

My question to all of you vets that choose to respond is two parts. Should the "Custom work" work in my favor or the sellers, and is $4700 a fair asking price?

My heart is already sold, but I want to try to reassure my brain.

Thanks,
Doug

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the party, Doug!

Reading your post, I can only say, like "Click and Clack", YOU'RE DONE FOR!

With LBC's (Little British Cars), it seldom is a matter of logic or brain function; most always it's an emotional thing. There will be purists who'll turn up their noses at the prospect of shaved handles or other modifications. (Louvered bonnets are way cool, though! And they actually serve a needed purpose.)

Whatever the case, sounds like you're gonna fit right in here!

:cheers:
Mickey

(Don't forget to post pictures)

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Doug:

Look for rust, mainly at the lower portion of the car, like the rockers, lower door sills, back lower front fenders and lower quarters (frt and rear).

I agree with Mickey the cosmetics is a personal preference.

Welcome to the forum, we love pictures.

SAMidget

Down here in Johannesburg

Ok let me get this straight - you're keen on a car with only 2 doors, only room for 2 people, is going to consume a fair amount of your time, probably leaks oil, has no climate control, no air bags, a small engine with only 4 gears and a host of other strange things to consider.

Why consult the brain? this is a MUST buy, enjoy.

RickB

Yoda
Welcome to the BCF!

I should think for that kind of money you would have some primo cars to choose from. Have you tried Craisgslist? Search for Midget and also don't forget to search for Sprite.
I personally like the modified cars, but I also really like the pure cars.
There are many things that can be done to them, but for $4700 around here you could buy a very nice Midget or Sprite.
I think Ohio is an MG hotbed, you should have many cars to choose from.

Pay very close attention to rust. Floorboards, around spring hangers, lower fenders, make sure you are not looking at a bondo buggy!

Country flag
Hi, welcome to the Forum. Listen to what the spridget folks say, there is a lot of knowledge there!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW - the 'modifications' should work to your benefit, not the seller's - especially the shaved door handles.

For $4700 you should be able to find a very nice, original, well turned Midget without the mods. Unless I know a car's history (& the owner's) I'm always leery of mods like that becausemany times they point to other hidden problems.

Be well attuned to rust & badly done body repairs - everything else is easy to correct. Nice thing about a glossy black paint job is that, at the correct angles, it gives up all its secrets! Get down close at either end of the car & look alogn its sides, drop down & sight along the rockers, look at places where body panels come together or roll over themselves - its hard to hide mistakes under glossy, black paint!

Country flag
Wait, is the '71 the one with the shaved door handles? or is it another car? The early cars were roadsters (no windows or external door handles)

RickB

Yoda
Is this the car you are looking at? It's definitely a looker!!
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/car/688508494.html

I don't know where you are in Ohio - but here are some pretty good looking examples:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/car/669622926.html

If you happen to like the rubber bumper look:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/car/633138782.html

Here's a $1500 1971 Midget:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/car/661427279.html

1967 Sprite:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/car/633823204.html

1967 red Midget:
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/657610221.html

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I think exterior door handles were added in '64 with the MKII, along with folding top, quarter windows, roll up side windows.
So all pre '64 already have "shaved" handles?
Sweet.

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to everyone for their info and help. I'm sure I'll be on here often with plenty more questions. The black one is a "72". True Crigslist has many examples, however this being NE Ohio it is the rust belt in the truest sense, I am trying to be very keen on that. I have an appointment to meet the car and owner Tuesday of next week so wish me luck! I feel like its Prom and I just scored a 6 pack!

Hopefully soon I will post pic's with a case of "old speckled hen" resting nicely in the co-pilot seat, (must have a proper reception no?)

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Rick, that 1st one is it! Thanks for the others too, just in case.

Country flag
Take plenty of pictures and let us know what you find. It certainly looks like it has potential.

RickB

Yoda
Hey, I could go on and on and on...

Have you looked at any Bugeye Sprites? <drool>

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Assuming the one you are looking at is the one in the pic - I'll bet it has 4k worth pf paint and body. Yes you can get lots for reasonable prices BUT - you cannot restore one for less than it costs to buy one - don't ask me how I know - and you can ring up 4700 worth of parts alone in a big old hurry - again don't ask me how I know. when evaluating the car, my 2 cents say - interior is actually first consideration as, while easy to replace, - it's not cheap - about $ 1500 (off the top of my head) rust second - mechanics third - the engine brakes etc are dead easy to work on and not cheap

welcome to the dark side - we've been waiting for you

BTW - this is an awesome group of folk - and will go look at cars if in the area and if asked

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Assuming the one you are looking at is the one in the pic - I'll bet it has 4k worth pf paint and body. Yes you can get lots for reasonable prices BUT - you cannot restore one for less than it costs to buy one - don't ask me how I know - and you can ring up 4700 worth of parts alone in a big old hurry - again don't ask me how I know. when evaluating the car, my 2 cents say - interior is actually first consideration as, while easy to replace, - it's not cheap - about $ 1500 (off the top of my head) rust second - mechanics third - the engine brakes etc are dead easy to work on and not cheap

welcome to the dark side - we've been waiting for you

BTW - this is an awesome group of folk - and will go look at cars if in the area and if asked

R

RonMacPherson

If 4500 is your range. We have a former BCCH(British Car Club of Hawaii) president who is migrating back to the mainland and decided he must sell his Spitfire.

It is a PRIMO spitfire, original hardtop, etc... Very, very well taken care of, with upgrades to stainless tubing, suspension bushings, carburetor, etc.

But, you would have to fly over to Hawaii to see it, in this weekends(the 25th) All British Car Day at Kapiolani Park in Honolulu.

If the black one falls through for you and you are interested, I can try to connect you with Steve.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
JPSmit said:
(...)when evaluating the car, my 2 cents say - interior is actually first consideration as, while easy to replace, - it's not cheap - about $ 1500 (off the top of my head) rust second - mechanics third - the engine brakes etc are dead easy to work on and not cheap

I'll agree almost completely with JP. However, dropping $$ on an interior is less painful than dropping $$$$$$$$$$$ on bodywork. So my list would be...

Rust
Rust
Rust
Interior
Mechanical

Hope the car works out! Personally, I'd say the changes that were made look pretty revenue-neutral. Not something that would necessarily add value (i.e. a DCOE swap) but not something that detracts horribly either (like a metal flake paint job and spoilers, for example.)

Let us know how it goes!

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dudly said:
shaved exterior door handles and very glossy black paint job. O
My question to all of you vets that choose to respond is two parts. Should the "Custom work" work in my favor or the sellers, and is $4700 a fair asking price?

My heart is already sold, but I want to try to reassure my brain.

Thanks,
Doug

you didn't mention the year of the car you fell in love with.. if its a BugEye or MK II there are no door handles and they haven't been shaved.. does it have roll up windows? Roll up windows without door handles = shaved. Side curtain or NO side windows, just early doors on a later car, or an early car.

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Grrr... It was sold last night.
Oh well back to the search.