• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A humbling moment....

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, after two years of owning an LBC, all the humorous anecdotes about British cars came to realization today when mine was tooling along nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif on the way home from work, sun beating down, wind in hair, and it happened. The usual melodic noises of the engine were replaced by some sputtering, loss of power, and a sinking feeling that the little car decided it didn't want to go the last mile or so to my house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif. So, it made a few more feeble attempts at self-propulsion before finally becoming quiet, tach reading zero RPM, and ignition warning light glaring in my face. Well, isn't that swell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

About that moment, I realized it was quite warm outside. About 90 degrees out. And it occurred to me that the hotter than the surface of the sun catalytic converter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif directly below the carburetor that recently lost its flimsy heat shield probably wasn't helping matters much. So, up goes the hood, and boy, is it hot under there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Can we say vapor lock? And of all the things I have on board, a bottle of water is not one of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif Made a few attempts to convince the little car that it would be really great if it would start again, but no joy.

After calling AAA to send a tow truck to get it the last mile to the house and being told it will be another hour or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, I walked home, got a big bottle of water for me and the little car, walked back, tried starting again, and after carefully pouring water over the carb and fuel pump got the car to resume internal combustion with a little coaxing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway, thought I'd share, and if anything, I hope everybody carries water on board. At the very least you might need it to keep yourself cool. Let's see, I see two projects for the near future. Lose the catalytic converter I've been threatening to get rid of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif, and add a water bottle to the arsenal in the trunk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

-Dave

BradHollister

Just goes to show you - Street weight about 1,574 lbs (the last time I weighed one a couple months ago)...Street trim for an experienced LBC owner - 2,000 lbs.

Having a complete LBC workshop in your trunk...priceless.
Brad