• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Senior moment

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
Ol Yeller was running just a tad rough so I decided that today would be the day to dig into it. First things first so I pulled the plugs and checked the wires. Plugs: nice and tan. Next check the points: Closed the points and ran a piece of white paper between them. I could feel a bit of a snag on the paper so I called both parts houses intown and neither had points in stock. I figured that while waiting for them to get them I would just clean up the points that were in there. I also checked the cap, roter etc. Everything was in good shape. I took the points out, buffed them up nicely and reinstalled them, gapping them to .015 as my book says. I put the plugs back in, checked the wires, put the cap back on and was ready for the moment of truth. She spun over and not a pop. I thought that Crypty had come to Wisconsin. Nothing to do but take the cap off and try to find the problem. With the cap off it was pretty simple to see that there was no rotor where there should be one sitting. Slapping myself on the back of the head, I put the rotor where it should be, cap back on, Roger Houston, Vrooooom, we have lift off.
I'm sure that no one else in this fine group has ever done anything like that.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I don't think you need to be a "senior" to have that happen - believe me when I say you are not the only one that has done that - lol.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Done exactly the same! :crazy:

D

DougF

I don't look at that as a senior moment, as I am only a late sophomore-early junior.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I am a bit lost. I wondered over from the MG forum. 20 years ago when i was in my early 30's i put a new clutch in my MGA. Got the engine bolted back in and then saw the release bearing sitting on the bench. Next step, start all over. Does senior start at 30? Bob

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Yep, only good thing is that you can't drive off and lose the rotor that you've balanced on top of the valve cover.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
kc_doyle said:
...I'm sure that no one else in this fine group has ever done anything like that.
Uh, yeah, sure. :angel: Actually, I think my first such "senior moment" was when I was a senior in high school in 1970! and I've probably done it at least once very four-five years since then....

T

Tinster

I wish MY PROBLEMS
were senior moment.

Crypt Car - dead as petrified wood

Dale

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
forgot the rotor? you're not alone!

how's this for forgetful: drain the oil, change the filter, pour in four quarts at the top ...

... see four quarts spreading over the floor - then remember the drain plug in your pocket.

argh.

Tom

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
forgot the rotor? you're not alone!

how's this for forgetful: drain the oil, change the filter, pour in four quarts at the top ...

... see four quarts spreading over the floor - then remember the drain plug in your pocket.

argh.

Tom

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Now that is funny</span></span>. At least you didn't wonder why she was taking 8 quarts before you realized.

OP
kc_doyle

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
I'm too Da**ed old for a rite of passage. Been a shade tree wrench turner for far too long to do something like miss the rotor... Probably all of these new fangeled computer run autos have me complacent. "put in fuel, Change oil every 5000, and just drive um.. Don't even have a Dizzy.. Humph.

dirtbill

Freshman Member
I've done many way dumber mechanical ommisions and find it has much more to do with impatience and distraction than age. How about rebuilding an antique tractor carb, re-installing on the tractor, turning on the gas only to have it flow all over the ground 'cause the float needle is still on the work bench? Duh.

Bill

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I first got my tr3a in high school back in the late 70's. I first forgot the rotor then; and since then I have gotten better at forgetting the rotor. I guess they are right when they say "practice makes perfect"

OP
kc_doyle

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
Guess I got the points set right, and the rotor in the right place. Wife and I went out and put on over 65 miles hitting "rummage sales." With the LBC we don't have room for very much "Stuff." It was a beautiful afternoon and there are so many little county roads..

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Worse than a rotor button senior moment is to overlook replacing an oil filler cap. Once topped up the the wife's DOHC Brit car, notorious for oil usage, and off she went on a shop till you drop. Came home complaining of engine bay smoke plumes and a dreadful smell. When I lifted the hood, oh my God what a mess.

Think I'd have preferred it all over the garage floor like Tom.

Viv

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
I've seen kc at work before and I can be pretty sure it wasn't a senior moment but more likely the lubricant he was using...and it wasn't WD-40 if you get my drift.

OP
kc_doyle

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
It didn't work well at all. More adult beverage and back to the drawing board..Till I get it all sorted out, I'll just have to reinstall the rotor.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can say I've regularly left that blasted rotor on th' bench as I spun up an engine.... "WTF?!?!"

A highly humbling experience.... and not as enlightening as it SHOULD be. :devilgrin: