• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

'76 Midget driving along then chugging?

Tipsy

Hello all, This morning in my '76 midget I was taking my son to his daily bus for summer camp, a short trip in town, and when we left the house everything was running fine. About 5 blocks away something changed and the engine started chugging. Not bucking or dieing. just a loss of power and not running well as it usually does. Last night I took a short trip to the video store and it was just fine. Several weeks ago I changed the spark plugs for fresh ones as I do in the spring since this is a fair weather car, I also topped off the oil in the carb, I have the single Stromberg.Anyone have any thoughts on which direction to troubleshoot? Carb? plugs? I have pertronix ignition. Thanks for any advice. Jeff

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jeff, fuel filter? what colour are your plugs?

OP
T

Tipsy

JP, I will check this evening and report back. Thanks for the fuel filter idea, I never thought of that.

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
I'd defintiely say check the fuel filter, but is your air filter clogged?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
It could easily be that one of your plug wires fell off or that one of them went bad.
BillM

OP
T

Tipsy

One of my plug wires was popped up/loose in the distributor cap and the contact was sort of a burnt corroded color as opposed to #2, 3 and 4 which were still clean and shiny at the cap end. Guess maybe it had been loose and arcing, then finally no contact at all. Going to clean it and test it to see if that's the problem and if so get a new set of wires! Thanks everybody!

G

If you buy the universal Accel V8 soild core set you'll have enough to make two sets. IIRC I paid $18 for mine 6 years ago.

OP
T

Tipsy

Good idea on the double set. My brand new plugs are very fouled and carboned up. I'm going to get new plugs and one of my wires was broken too. Anyone else have trouble with the #1 plug because it's right behind the alternator with no room to spare? Every time I put in new plugs the alternator, belt and bracket have to be disconnected just to get the plug out.

OP
T

Tipsy

I'm concerned about my brand new plugs being fouled up so fast! I just put them in a few weeks ago. Only driven it a few short trips around town and already fouled up. I know my carbs a bit rich but it's never fouled this fast before.

Country flag
I'm not very familiar with the stromberg, but it sounds like the choke may be sticking.

G

Anyone else have trouble with the #1 plug because it's right behind the alternator with no room to spare? Every time I put in new plugs the alternator, belt and bracket have to be disconnected just to get the plug out.

No, I don't have trouble, I put good plugs and wires on it. :wink: I think I have the lastest iridescent plutoniums in it. That being said, I'm with Trev. Fix it then put the good stuff in.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
"iridescent plutoniums" that along with your warp drive added to your out of round crank.

OP
T

Tipsy

Yep, that's what I decided to try this last time. I talked with the guy at parts store. Told him what car, and that I run a bit rich. He said try the irridescant plutoniums and they should last longer...not foul so quickly. Well just the opposite happened and they fouled up quicker...I'm guessing cuz the ignition spark is such a tiny little node that as soon as it got some carbon on it then it was covered up and done for. I'm going back to my AC's.

OP
T

Tipsy

Also, just opened up the air cleaner and found a piece of fuel hose in the carb. Must have been from when I changed fuel pump last year and changed the filter and fuel line at the carb. I think it fell into the air filter box and finally loosened itself up until it worked its way to the throat of the carb. We'll see. I've gotta move the alternator so I can replace that #1 plug again and then we'll see. Maybe it's time to tune the carb a bit...lean it out slightly so it doesn't run so rich and carbon up everything.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Do you have the water choke on your Strommy or the manual choke? The water choke may need to be rebuilt (or replaced with a manual one -- hint hint.)

Also, check your manifold gaskets and throttle shaft for leaks. Any air leak with a Stromberg carb will drive it richer -- even if the carb itself is in good shape. (An aftermarket air filter acts as an air leak, and counterintuitively, will run rich as well.)

It's a good conversion for 1500 Midgets to replace the Accursed Stromberg with an SU from an MGB -- JP's done it, he'll have the specs. If I hadn't already swapped for a Weber I'd do it too. It's almost a bolt-in conversion; it uses the stock intake manifold. One mounting hole needs to be elongated slightly.

G

If I hadn't already swapped for a Weber I'd do it too. It's almost a bolt-in conversion; it uses the stock intake manifold. One mounting hole needs to be elongated slightly.

If the thing would give me 30MPG I'd do it too. I do kinda dig my side draft.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It's a good conversion for 1500 Midgets to replace the Accursed Stromberg with an SU from an MGB -- JP's done it, he'll have the specs. If I hadn't already swapped for a Weber I'd do it too. It's almost a bolt-in conversion; it uses the stock intake manifold. One mounting hole needs to be elongated slightly.

Easy Peasy - get an HS4 rear MGB carb, a round file, elongate the holes slightly and bolts right on - about 20 minutes work.

OP
T

Tipsy

Manual choke on my Stromberg. Standard air filter too. Just rebuilt the carb last year, should be OK there. I think I just have the needle set too rich. It needs to be dialed down leaner a bit. I like it rich so it starts right up with no choke cuz my choke cable is not working so well but I guess I need to fix that issue. The conversion is an interesting idea though. What's better about the SU or HS4 carbs?