• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2004 X-type Transfer Case

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
Hello, let me introduce myself to the Jaguar Forum. I have a few Austin Healeys and have participated on that forum for a while now.

My question here is that I have a 2004 X-Type for my daily driver and it is shortly out of warranty and I am starting to do the routine maintenance myself. While changing the oil yesterday I found the source of the drips on my driveway. It seems to be coming from the transfer case. I have a shop manual and the procedure there is daunting and would likely be impossible to accomplish at home. The first step is removal of the front subframe. I imagine that this would be a $1,000 or more job at the dealer.

Does anyone have any hints as to how you can add fluid to the transfer case without disassembly of the subframe? It seems as though this is a common problem on these cars and the transfer case will eventually fail as the fluid drains. Being that there is only about a half litre in there that time may not be far off.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

R

RonMacPherson

Steve, I'm not sure I understand when you say "shortly out of warranty". Do you mean the warranty just expired, or will soon expire?

If the warranty has not yet expired, get it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.

If the warranty has recently expired, ask the dealer to see if Jaguar will perform a "goodwill" warranty repair as they know it is a common problem area. If they give you a song and dance ask for an appointment to speak to the factory service manager the next time he visits the dealership on his circuit(he travels from dealership to dealership to help resolve owner's problems). When you meet with him make sure you have a log of all service visits, expenditures with you.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
That sound like a really good idea. I did the "warranty period standoff" once on a 1993 Maxima with transmission failure issue at 51,000 miles. I had complained about shifting once or twice under warrranty. When I returned to the shop on a tow truck with no transmission and nearly missed being killed in traffic, they all of the sudden paid attention and said it was a common issue, replaced it and billed me entirely....... about $5300 for a new one with all "factory-mandated" replacements such as a new radiator at the same time.
When I demanded the dealership contact the factory, the bill went down immediately and I didn't blink on them covering about half until I spoke to Nissan's rep. The service manager and I are no longer friendly, but I think it was fair in the end. I never spoke to a Nissan representative, of course, but I didn't care as long as the dealership acknowledged that I knew something was wrong while under warranty and the issue was ignored until the unit failed entirely.
I like the idea of just asking to speak to someone before this point, though, and think it is advisable to do in your case. The transfer case in your car has been a topic of conversation, and surely this is nothing new for the X-type owners. It may be this issue is so common that Jaguar will not bat an eye when asked to address it as a courtesy to you. Otherwise, I'd start doing the research as you are on the repair, it sounds like a tremendous task to do at home.