• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 door jam switch

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm still having trouble locating the proper door jam courtesy light/ignition warning light&buzzer switch for a 71 (or 70) TR6. The big three have switches listed but the right one for the job is always N/A. I wrote Rimmer Brothers in England and they said the right part, 622748, is no longer available. Has anyone in their restoration attempts found a suitable replacement? Shouldn't there be a number of cars that use a similar set-up that should work or have the rest of you just decided you don't need no stinkin' buzzers?
John

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I am in the depths of wiring heck on my 71 as we speak and from my wiring diagram you ,like me, dont have need or want the seat belt buzzer,lamp. There was never a provision for this untill 72.The jamp switches are just grounding switches and so anything similar should work if the prong is long enough to reach the door......
Mad dog

OP
John_Mc

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would agree Mad Dog, I'm not a big fan of buzzers, but I do kinda like the idea of completing all the wiring. Unused, dangling wires always register in the back of my mind. The driver's side door-jam switch has a dual function inthat it not only grounds the courtesy light circuit but it closes the circuit to the ignition warning light/buzzer so that (as I understand it) if you open the door with the key in the ignition it buzzes. In my Haynes manual there is essentially only one wiring diagram for the TR6, and it isn't accurate for every year model. Check out Dan Masters' beautiful color diagrams (if you haven't already) for the specifics of each model year. You are right about the seatbelt buzzers not coming until after '71.

https://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

John

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've gone through this too and John is right, I tried to install a regulalar ground switch on my drivers side and it just blew a fuse. If you want the buzzer and everything connected then you need the "special" switch as described in the post above. I have not been able to find one either. I tried to rebuild my old one, but it was trash. I ended up bypassing the buzzer and installing my own courtesy light system with ground switches on both doors.

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
My car has been through the entire ground up rebuilding process, and the one wiring problem I can't solve is similar to yours. I have the correct door jamb switches, but my key buzzer goes off every time I open the drivers side door, regardless of whether the key is in the ignition or not! It's the only squirrely electrical gremlin on the car (but of course I haven't had it out on the road yet!) I'll take a look at those diagrams you provided, maybe the answer is in there! As for your switch, I can find you an original one if you want one. My friend Mark at British Auto has a bunch of TR-6 wrecks and I've seen that switch on several of them. Let me know if you want me to pursue this. My email is gibber1956@frontiernet.net

Mark

OP
John_Mc

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dan Masters also has a legend explaining some of the symbols on the wiring diagrams. Unfortunately, it's not included with the color diagrams, but I found it with the black and white version at a site called BritishV8.org.
https://www.britishv8.org/tech.htm The last page of the PDF document has wiring color and symbol information. It helped me sort out a lot of wiring questions I had.