• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TEX DOOR MIRROR VS BULLET MIRROR TR6

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm in the process of gathering parts for my 69 TR6 restoration and came upon a dilemma. I never have been a fan of bullet style mirrors. However they look ok on a TR6. My favorite is what's on my TR250 and it looks similar to a TEX mirror. I read that some early TR6s came with this style mirror. Shortly after they stopped shipping cars with mirrors the bullets were installed by the dealers. Don't know how true but interesting. I've seen TEX mirrors on TR7 and MGB's and wondered if any on has them on their TR6. If so be cool if I can get a photo.

G

I have the Tex Viewmaster Springbacks on my TR6 and cannot say enough good things about them. I got them from Moss-UK but you may be able to contact Tex directly at texautomotive.com .

MB323-TN.jpg
]

T

Tinster

I have one Tex- my install
I have one wobbly Bullet- PO install

I plan to remove the bullet and replace w/ Tex
in the event my TR becomes streetable.

I think the Tex looks great ona TR

d

71tr

Jedi Warrior
I'll second the theme here; the bullets look good but the Tex is something a bit different and offers a more unique look.

G

And, the passenger-side mirror is now totally functional. And they are breakaway. This particular style was often OE in the UK and Belgian market.

G

I have them too, but they aren't installed yet. Tex in the UK are very easy and very pleasant to deal with, and they do have stockists here - istr you can download a list from their site.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Wow! Thanks for the feedback. Tex it is. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Got a lot of negative feedback from I guess the purest about slightly customizing my TR250, British Victoria has a shorter version of the one TR6 Bill showed me.

G

TR3ATR250 said:
British Victoria has a shorter version of the one TR6 Bill showed me.

The mirrors that Vicky Brit sell are not TEX-brand mirrors. They are Lucas knockoffs, Raydot knockoffs and imported bullets. Your best bet would be to Google Moss-UK and see if they have them or try and email TEX direct.

Again, the mirrors on my car are UK-made and Original Equipment on UK and Belgian TR6s.

Good luck.

A note: Moss-UK used to have a very extensive, color online catalog. I cannot find it anymore.

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
spitbits carry a tex mirror, maybe talking to them could open up a US source. i know their tex cause i've got two sitting in my dining room for the GT6. don't think they are the same as your looking for but spitbits might be able to open a channel for them...

on second look, these are the same mirrors that vic brit sells too, so they have at least one tex set. i guess vic brit might have another manufacturer, but they look dang similar.

G

I've been doing some tracking down and all I have found is Rimmer Brothers <u>show</u> the exact mirror that I have but the number is superseded by a different number, which always means the wrong mirror. Moss-UK no longer shows the mirror.
How about any of you that want it PM TR4NUT and see if he will be anywhere near the TEX factory while he is over in England for a few more months.

To show what lengths we go to, I ordered these mirrors from Moss-UK by phone (ouch!) when I wanted them. The wrong ones were sent (Lucas round wing mirrors for a TR2-3). Had to call back and argue with them. You ever heard someone with a Cajun accent trying to argue with someone with a real Brit accent? It wasn't a pretty sight. Finally got the correct ones. I had seen a photo of my mirrors on a Belgian TR6 and knew right away that I had to have them after I had done some homework to find that they were OE over there. The bullet mirrors that we all have over here are hopeless for passenger-side viewing, even tough for driver's side.

I made some guy very happy with a set of cheap new wing mirrors for his 3 at the next car show.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
How about any of you that want it PM TR4NUT and see if he will be anywhere near the TEX factory while he is over in England for a few more months.

Bill-

Not a bad idea. I was actually trying to research some of this stuff before I even saw your note. Tex Automotive is just outside Oxford which is about an easy 45 min-1 hour drive from where I am.

I like the mirror you show and found it I think on their website. I was thinking it might even look good on my TR4 - I have the older style lucas round mirror - it looks better than it works, and I don't like how fragile it is. Don't know if they do over the counter sales, but they certainly could point me to the right distributors.

Anyway, no guarantees but if folks need something, just pm me. I am moving back in June to Houston so a courier service would not be too hard to do. Maybe I could trade someone for an original surrey top..

Randy

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Are the Moss us mirrors same as TEX?

G

I really don't think so. Moss-UK used to stock them. Don't see them on their website. TRF told me that they might try and get them. Send the pic to John Schauger at TRF and see if he can get them. They deal directly with TEX. I played heck getting mine. They are worth the effort to secure them. You will throw your bullet mirrors at your cat.

G

Again, they are TEX Viewmaster Springbacks (R & L). I think you can even get the right mirror in a convex. I didn't.

Tomster

Jedi Knight
While we are on the Mirror topic,
My 67(?) 4A has one only exterior mirror, Bullet midway down the left wing-fender. No visible markings that I can find for mfgr.
What are the correct mirror types and placements?
Bullet on driver's fender and round on pass.door?

G

I got both flat. Actually, the passenger flat is large enough that I can see very well out of it.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just got the new Moss e catalog & they show what appear to be Tex in a variety of types, anyone with some confirmation on this?