• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Help installing TR6 door pulls and fuzzy seals

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am unclear on how to install the foam/vinyl door pulls and fuzzy seals for the windows. It looks like the door pulls are glued, and then you use the clips to install the fuzzy seals? Any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Kevin, the foam/vinyl door pulls are put on with contact glue, same as a counter top in a kitchen, just make sure to smooth it out with no globs, goes on both surfaces, and tape around the vinyl before putting the glue on, not only will it save getting it all over the place, it gives you a way to line it up. It goes on first then the fuzzy seal. The trick to the fuzzy seal is to have the clips in place and hold them with a piece of metal bent so as to cup the clip. Hold the clip and push the fuzzy down on it. The outer rubber seal is done the same way, but it has a designated spot for each clip.

Wayne

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I bought a reproduction tool a from a guy on Ebay that works great for holding the clips. The outside rubber seals went on easy. The inner fuzzy seals look a little more complicated. Not sure why the inside clips are so different. Not a bad idea for protecting the door cap with tape.
Kevin

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
3M makes a good spray on trim adhesive that will work well for your needs too.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Brosky said:
3M makes a good spray on trim adhesive that will work well for your needs too.
That's what I used to install my door pulls... they are holding great with the 3M spray adhesive.
By the way, the product comes in two formulas... one for general purpose and one for tops... get the one for tops as it is a stronger adhesive.
3M part number 08090

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
The inner and outer window seals are actually pretty easy to do...........when you've done it a couple of times. You should have your door panels off as you will drop a few clips down inside the door. Other then that here's how I do mine...... it takes about 15 minutes per door.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks, Bob. The other problem I have to deal with is the plastic that lines the inside of the door. There are only remnants of it left, and I definitely need to replace it. Did you have to deal with this, and if so, do you have any tips on how to do it?
Kevin

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think Kevin uses his full time, and as it occasionally rains here in the NW, so if anyone has any help for him I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Look at my page on the glass replacement and you'll see new pieces of plastic cut from construction plastic sheet from Home Depot. The heavy version and 3M trim adhesive to hold it on place once it gets tacky. Even washing the car can get the inside of the panels wet and I put new panels on, so I wanted to protect them. It's easy enough to do with the trim panel off.

Glass Replacement

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am pretty sure that the plastic was attached on the inside of the door originally. I had thought about doing it like you did, Paul. What would you think of just covering the inside of the panel itself with plastic instead of putting it on the inside the door? Did you use the spray trim adhesive for the plastic, or brush on? From the pictures I couldn't tell if you glued the entire plastic sheet - Did you just glue the outside?
Kevin

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Make sure your done inside as if you have to go in again you'll need to tear the plastic.
Be nice if there was a way to velcro the plastic or similar.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have been inside the door a lot - that is why I thought about just gluing the plastic to the door panel itself, Don. I have watched the inside of the door without any seals. Because the door is slanted out at the bottom, rain can (and does) actually drip inside the car. I don't know if this is the case once the top seals are in place. I guess I could try gluing plastic to the inside of the door panels and see what happens. I am anxious to make my car watertight so I can finally put in my carpets.
Kevin