• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Temp and Fuel guage not working

Spit_Newbie

Hello all, My 1974 Spitfire is causing me more electrical headaches. I recently had a friend wire up the birds nest behind the dash to get the bugs out. everything is in working order but the fuel and temp guage. I changed out the volt stabilizer after hours of research. I have a feeling it's a simple fix seeing that those two guages were working before my buddy cleaned it up. I cant seem to find a correct picture of where the ground wire attatches. Any ideas????

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Did you check for power to the voltage stabilizer (in and out) new doesn't always mean it works.

Wayne

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The original stabilizer did not have a ground wire. It was grounded through it's mount on the back of the speedometer. If the replacement has a ground wire attach it under one of the knurled nuts that hold the speedometer in place.

dklawson

Yoda
As above...
Switched 12V into the stabilizer on its "B" terminal,
10V out from the stabilizer on its "I" terminal (light green wires to gauges),
and the stabilizer case MUST have a ground connection (directly or by wire on its mounting screw).

With the original electromechanical stabilizer it is also important that it be oriented "correctly" when mounted. Correctly means... so you can read the letters "I" and "B" upright on the surface of the stabilizer where the terminals are located. Other orientations can slightly alter the output voltage.

When the ground is omitted the stabilizer passes full 12V which would make the gauges read high. Since your gauges are not working, look for a problem where the stabilizer is not getting the switched 12V supply. In normal Lucas wiring schemes that is a dark green wire coming from a switched terminal on the fuse box going to the stabilizer "B" terminal.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Temp and Fuel Guage MG 10
B For Sale Triumph Tr3 Fuel gauge Temp gauge Oil pressure gauge, speedometer tachometer Triumph Classifieds 0
W Electrics, fuel system, under bonnet temp. Austin Healey 3
J TR4/4A Fuel and Temp Gauge NightMare! Help! Triumph 24
Tinkerman TR2/3/3A Attaching the temp capillary to the fuel line. 3A Triumph 13
Scott_Hower Fuel and temp gauge not working MG 5
Andrew Mace Wedge TR7 fuel and temp. gauges not working Triumph 28
B Engine temp / fuel delivery Spridgets 10
C Wedge TR 8 Fuel and Engine temp guages Triumph 12
S Inoperative Fuel & Temp Gages MG 10
sonuvagunsmith MGB 72 MGB Fuel and temp guages MG 8
M XJS Fuel Injector, Air Temp Sensor, Water Temp Sensor Harness Connector Replacement Jaguar 0
RJS TR4/4A Smiths Oil Temp Gauge Triumph 11
G Smith's temp gauge repair Restoration & Tools 4
MikeAH100M High Temp Engine Miss Austin Healey 2
RJS TR4/4A TR4A Temp Gauge Scale Triumph 6
Martinld123 Problems with my BN2 Temp Gauge reading Austin Healey 13
shadowfever Water temp Spridgets 9
Govtslug TR6 Coolant Temp Q Triumph 4
EWD TR6 Temp Gauge - 74 TR6 Triumph 11
Editor_Reid Water Temp Gauge Austin Healey 5
H TR4/4A 67 tr4a runs rough and losses power when hot but not over normal temp Triumph 14
J TR6 73 TR6 Temp Gauge Wiring Question Triumph 6
Rut Bugeye 1275 temp probe placement. Spridgets 8
S TR2/3/3A temp gauge sealer Triumph 7
S TR2/3/3A removing the temp gauge needle Triumph 5
T TR2/3/3A Where is best spot to check temp with infrared thermometer? Triumph 17
DugMoney Need Advice - Moving Temp Gauge Sensor 1275 Spridgets 3
M Proper running temp for 1275 Spridgets 28
JFS TR2/3/3A Radiator fan temp probe Triumph 3
D TR2/3/3A tr3 temp guage capillary tube thread size Triumph 3
JFS TR2/3/3A Temp Sensor Removal Triumph 6
S TR4/4A Temp guage problem Triumph 5
R Capillary tube temp gauge Austin Healey 7
R TR2/3/3A TR3A tired temp gauge Triumph 5
RickPA Water temp gauge reads low Austin Healey 6
F TR2/3/3A Water Temp Triumph 10
vette Threads for the Water Temp Sender Austin Healey 6
R water temp bulb loose Austin Healey 27
C Wanted Sunbeam Alpine 1, II Water Temp Electrical sending unit.[Or one that will work] Other British Classifieds 1
Superwrench Oil Pressure/ Water temp Gauge Austin Healey 17
K TR2/3/3A Temp gauge capillary tube routing? Triumph 11
Gundy Temp gauge on Mk3 Midget Spridgets 4
M water temp gauge Spridgets 7
A TR4/4A Tr4A temp gauge doesn't work Triumph 19
Sopwith_Camel temp Jaguar 8
T TR4/4A How hot at radiator neck when temp gauge is reading innthe middle Triumph 6
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Need a temp glass Triumph 11
B Temp gauge capillary tube Austin Healey 3
P Temp. Probe for 1275 with Bugeye Radiator? Spridgets 21