• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Towed Home

Will_Ringrose

Im still not sure yet what happened. The motor started making this bad ratting noise heading down the highway. The sound is coming from the center of motor under load or at anything above 2,500RPM. The higher the RPM the louder and faster the noise is.

My friend that towed me home thinks it may be a bad crank barring. But I am clueless.

Any thoughts?

Where should I even start?

The 69 Bug is off the road right now as well, the Distro points failed. I have new ones showing up tomorrow, so I am stuck at home until they do.

OP
W

Will_Ringrose

Towedhome-1.jpg

U-Hual Had a Washington plate, I find this funny. I am from Yakima Washington.

D

DougF

First, don't run the engine. Drop the oil pan and pull the main bearing caps. Be aware that all caps are numbered and need to go back to where they were. Do one at a time. Inspect all of the bearings and the crank surfaces they ride on for scoring. If not the mains, move on to the rod bearings.

If the crank is damaged and reparable, it will have to be turned and new bearings installed. If you are lucky and there isn't heavy wear on the crank, you can replace the bearings and be back on the road in no time.

While in there, it's a good time to replace the thrust washer.

Hopefully, like the TR6, this work can be done with the engine in place on the GT6.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Not sure but does the crank shaft break in a GT6 where the TR6 Crank breaks?
Hopefully its not a broken crankshaft

Hondo

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Sounds like you ran low on oil pressure and damaged the bearings. My first guess would be rods. A buddy of mine just had the same thing happen on his v8 Explorer. I helped him replace the rod bearings and all seems well. For now.

OP
W

Will_Ringrose

Well the oil is a little dirty, i was going to change it this weekend.

I can not seem to get the oil pan off, there are 3 bolts that I can not seem to get to. The one right above the rack and pinion, and the 2 going down the drivers side. Those 3 bolts are giving me such an issue getting to them. I may have to pull the motor out.

D

DougF

I'd loosen the steering rack and move it out of the way before pulling the engine. Find a socket or wrench that will fit or alter one. Even if you have the proper hoist and engine stand, etc., you will have too many hours wrapped up prepping, pulling, installing and putting back together on a car that you probably want to get back into service asap.

Plus, if you pull the engine, it's too easy to get into the "While it's out, I might as well do this" mode. Before you know it, the car is off the road for an extended period of time.

If you don't have one, buy or borrow a torque wrench and follow the shop manual on proper settings.

Good Luck!

OP
W

Will_Ringrose

Well parts for my 69 Bug just showed up, that should be back on the road tonight or tomorrow.

But I got some bad news today (got laid-off) so the GT6 might be sitting a bit longer then I would have hoped for.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear Will...it's definitely true that when it rains, it pours. Best of luck!

John

G

Oh goodness. Well, look at the bright side. At least you have time to fix the 6.

OP
W

Will_Ringrose

Well, looks like I am going to have pull the the entire front end apart, as I was trying to get the rack and pinon out of the way the mounting bolts snapped.

On top of that, there a a nice rust hole on the frame. It is where the outrigger on the passenger side meets the frame rail.

fun stuff

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is really the HARD way to do it I would suspect.
On the Wedge you just undo the mount bolts and jack up the nose of the motor with the damper

booley

Jedi Trainee
Oh dear!! things go from bad to worse... on the rust issue, that is one of the perils of using the GT as a daily driver
Best of luck Will

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Will_Ringrose said:

Will,

Sorry to hear about your troubles and good luck fixing your car. You are experiencing what so many people have gone through in the past when the cars were not that old.

I noticed that you have year-of-manufacture (YOM) plates on your 50+ mile daily driver. Can you assign a YOM plate to regular MD plates?

Good luck!

OP
W

Will_Ringrose

thats where I Break the rules a little. In MD you can do it with Historic registered cars.

The historic cars should only be driving to and from shows and maintenance. how ever thy did add "occasional transportation" in to the mix when you register Historic.

I have asked many officers in different counties and no one can tell me what they define "occasional" as.

Its been 3 years and not once I have been stopped for it. However, have have even been stop on a week day in the middle of the day and given a written warning for speeding. Nothing came up about the plates at that time.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In WV you have the option with you AY tags. Pay the full amount and register is as a daily driver, or pay a lot less and register as an antique.

I agree with the rod-knock assessment, BTW

Dan B