• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So what would it take to pry the keys from your ha

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My Grandson asked me a question this past Fall that I did not really have a answer for.
"Grandpa...what would it take to get you to sell your car... or what would you trade your car for?" After walking thru the car show together..and having him ask if I would trade for this car...or that car....I finally told him that...my car just was not for sale! "Oh come on Grandpa!"
My car is a 1960 TR3A...just like the one I had in college...many moons ago. I did restore it over 4 years.
I would think we all have a price that we just could not pass selling...or trading our rides for.
So in my case...I have to say...this IS the car I want. While I love the 356 Porsches' like I used to have...and
dream of owming a 350 Shelby again some day....Unless someone was crazy like that...I am not trading.
Some like Paul...that have had the ride forever...what would it take?
Just curious....we all have a point....or do we?
Gil NoCal

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I do have a point at which I'd probably sell my TR3. But only for enough money to buy another one in better condition and get it painted to suit me, plus enough for some other car (maybe a 550 Porsche replica).

First $50k takes it ... I might come down to $40k if I like you :smile:

Not sure why, but I seem to get a lot more positive comments with the TR3 than I ever did with the 3A. And no one yet has asked me if it is a "MG" (although one person did yell "Nice Sprite").

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had a lady that parked next to my TR6 tell me that I had a "nice Mercedes".
When you restore something you gain a strong attachment to it.
I've owned my 1963 Lambretta since 1969. I drove it through college, then it sat for many years until I restored it about 15 years ago.... never would I sell it.
I am going to have trouble keeping my 6 in the family.... my wife doesn't care for it; my son and daughter want no part of it. The only thing I can hope for is a grandson one day or a second wife who appreciates classics :jester:
By the way, I just started to restore a 1959 Lambretta that I have had for years.... I'm just adding to my woes!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gil- By the way, I just said "Thank You" and never bothered to correct her.

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Having only bought my 3A in November, the only thing I can see that would pry it away from me would be some sort of financial ruin. I've dreamed about owning a british sports car for 3 decades. My daughters are already fighting over it when I die (whats up with that?).

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
"So what would it take to pry the keys from your hands?"
Hard to list them all!
A 289 Slabside AC Cobra, a Series 2 Lotus 7 with a Cosworth engine(Caterham's need not apply) or an unmolested droop snoot Series 1 7, a Series 1 flat floor 3.8 E-Type OTS(exterior bonnet locks with welded louvers).
Just to start the list, it goes on. Don't misunderstand. I like my TR3A, it's one of the cars I always dreamed of owning, there's just such a long list of other cars I've always dream't of also. Of course, the only problem is, all of those cars are worth far more than my TR3 so I guess I'll be keeping the '3A for while longer.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
DNK said:
12 bucks and a 6 pack of Heiniken
If that's all you value the car, why not just get rid of it?

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Been through all manner of tough financial times, and have offered to unload the GT6 a couple of times to get what we could to help pay bills. Thankfully my wife has driven the car, (a lot!), and knows how rare it is, she keeps saying no to the sale, we have always found another way to make ends meet.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I had to ask myself that question about a month ago. My wife and I were talking about getting a new car that we could simply wash, wax and drive. It would be a convertible and something really nice, but something that if it got stolen, dented or wrecked, would not cause any heartache.

After much discussion, we decided to keep both the TR6 and the TR8 for this year and talk about it again at the end of the year. I love them both, but she has the emotional attachment to the TR6, as it was her first new car. I personally like the ride and comfort of the TR8 and with the new front and rear end and the new, even more powerful engine, it's my favorite for longer cruises. But I have no emotional attachment to it other than the money invested in it.

So that was the long answer.

The short answer is that I guess everything has a price, be it a buy or sell price. If offered enough, I personally would sell both and buy a new sports car of some sort. My wife would prefer I sell the TR8 and that we keep the TR6. That's today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I guess that I just don't have the energy or desire to do anymore major work restoring a car, so I'll either keep what I have and just keep tweaking them or get something new, add gasoline and go.

I say that as I look at the box sitting in front of me with the new seat brackets to install the Miata seats in the TR8. I also have the color leather samples sitting here to order the new seat trim covers this week.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A little warm weather, a drive with the top down and you'll be thinking a lot differently Paul
grin.gif

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I liked my TR7, but felt no real attachment to it. In fact, after the car port collapse, I felt motivated to get down to just the TR6 project and parts car in the garage this winter. I've got a LOT of time and money invested into my project now, and once my new body makes it here from Germany... well, I'm putting a lot of extra money into the TR6 to do the Hathaway Hunter body kit. When finished, it will be one of around 20 or so in the world, and be pretty unique. That may make it hard to ever sell for 2 reasons. 1) I love owning unique things and 2) selling unique things is always hard to find a buyer.

I guess at this point, with the time and money I've invested, I'd have to get 35 to 40k to not feel like I've wasted my time and money, though actually getting the car valued at that? probably wont happen.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Sort of the same situation in reverse. What would one cough up for this "survivor"? TR3"B"
Tom

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I showed my 1958 TR3A at the Ottawa British Car Day in 2005. I saw two nice soft-top Jaguar XKEs (with the tops down) drive in and park. Later the male owner of one of the Jags came over to my TR and took a very close look, then asked what my selling price was? I told him it wasn't for sale. He was a cosmetic surgeon (face-lifts and boobs etc.) and his wife was the one driving their other XKE. He had a small collection and wanted to add mine to it. With his occupation and the money it pays, I supposed he could afford any price I might mention.

I explained that I had bought my TR brand new and that I had restored it myself. I told him it would never be for sale. He replied that everyone has his price where they can become convinced. I still have it. It took 2nd place in 2007 at VTR with 384 points out of 400 (96%) and I have driven it 108,000 miles since my restoration in 1990 and it has a total of 188,000 total miles from new.

He insisted that I take his card with his name and phone number on it. I have no intention of calling him. I plan to still be driving it for another 54 years.

Attachments

• 27854.jpg
    27854.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 292

LBCs_since_1988

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm thinking about letting my 'daily driver' TR4A go to pay for my wife's MGA parts. Everything works but it really needs a true restoration.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'm so back and forth about mine it's pathetic. I have dreams of getting it all done and driving it, then the reality of my finances kick in and I think about putting it up for sale. It's not a current financial crunch. I never had the money, and there's nothing on the horizon to make me believe there ever will be.
What's my price?... I dunno.. It's not really for sale, but if someone handed me a decent wad of green, I'd help them load it all up.