• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First Jaguar

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
I have ordered my first Jaguar after many years as a Mercedes owner. I like speed and therefore ordered, as my name implies, an S Type R. 400HP and 408 lbft are hard to resist. I am hopeful that the car will meet my expectations. Jag seems to be on the rise, quality-wise, while Benz, IMO, seems to be declining. I will report my impressions when the car arrives

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the forum SType! Im not sure why, but your post got posted 4 times! I have deleted the other 3. Anyway, look forward to your impressions!

Cheers
cheers.gif

Basil

Claymore

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by STYPERDRIVER:
I have ordered my first Jaguar after many years as a Mercedes owner. I like speed and therefore ordered, as my name implies, an S Type R. 400HP and 408 lbft are hard to resist. I am hopeful that the car will meet my expectations. Jag seems to be on the rise, quality-wise, while Benz, IMO, seems to be declining. I will report my impressions when the car arrives<hr></blockquote>

*sigh* *jealous look*

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Very nice car...Congratulations..really stunning and quite the performer ...

Jaguar is the make on the move..that 400hp sport sedan is probably the best balance of all the sports sedans out there..

I would enjoy hearing your opinions as you take delivery and throughout your ownership experience..

They really did a nice job with this...supercharged V8!

The jaguar is a car with passion!

OP
S

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
Yesterday I got to drive an R for the first time. My overall impression of the car that it is very quick, handles well, and show vast quality improvement in the interior layout from the 2002 model. I owned a Mercedes E500 (1994 model) and the Jag seems quicker and, in my opinion, is more pleasing to the eye than the E500. The supercharger has an intriguing whine under acceleration and the noise disappears after reaching sixth (yeah, sixth) gear. NEAT!! The sound system is a real killer at 320 watts. I feel this is a great super sedan and would be a blast to drive coast to coast or just out to dinner. Go see one at your Jag dealer.

OP
S

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
Just got a call from the dealer. Tomorrow is the day I pick up the R. He recommended a $1900.00 radar detector and laser scrambling system. I think I will pass on that. I was born at night. Not LAST night.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by STYPERDRIVER:
Just got a call from the dealer. Tomorrow is the day I pick up the R. He recommended a $1900.00 radar detector and laser scrambling system. I think I will pass on that. I was born at night. Not LAST night.<hr></blockquote>

In all seriousness, IF you are one who prefers the extra precaution (just in case you slip on your speed once in a while), there is one and only one detector I would recommend: The Valentine 1. https://www.valentine1.com You must order direct from them. I have tried many and this one blows them all away. Yes, it is expensive (but MUCH less than what you were quoted, a new V1 is $399) but it is so far superior than anything else I have ever tried that the $400 seem like money well spent.

Basil

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

OP
S

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
Picked up the R today. I would be happy to share my impressions if anyone is interested. Fun times ahead.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Picked up the R today. I would be happy to share my impressions if anyone is interested. Fun times ahead.<hr></blockquote>

That's what this place if for! Lets here it! (and send some pics for me to put in our Member's gallery)
grin.gif

Basil

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds like fun. It will be interesting to see if your initial impressions are confirmed over time. Mercedes Benz is supposed to be a durable product, I hope that the Jaguar will be too. So when can we expect to see pictures of the new toy?
grin.gif

OP
S

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
Four days into ownership, I can tell you the R has met all my expectations. It is fun to drive, the biggest charge coming when the supercharger spools up and the car surges forward. The six speed transmission is a little different in that fifth and sixth are both overdrives and hard to differentiate from each other. A radar detector is needed. Quality is superb, much nicer than any Benz E class I have looked at. Stereo is great. The car is great to look at in the garage too.

sharky

Freshman Member
Well done. Great choice on the S-Type R. I currently own a XKR Convertible and my wife has an XJR as well so I'm pretty familiar with the R's but the cool thing about this s-type is it's got a new 4.2 Litre engine unlike the 4.0s I'm used to not to mention that new tranny... I've sat in one at the LA car show and was dead impressed. I wasn't originally a fan of S-Types but they really have made a beast out of it
smile.gif

OP
S

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
I understand that the 4.2 engine will be used in all the models starting in 2004. My salesman told me that Jag has to use up all the 4.0 assemblies first. The S Type is actually a little heavier than the new generation XJs according to an article I just read in Automobile Magazine, so the new XJs should be pretty quick with the supercharged engine.

sharky

Freshman Member
Thanks for passing that on. I hope they bring over the transmission and those amazing seats as well. When I sat in one, I really didn't want to get out.

One thing about these modern day Jags, they're not known for being light are they
smile.gif
? My XKR Conv. is 4400 pounds! Still it really does go so I'm not complaining at all.

PS Great choice, once again. Turn off the Traction control.. it's much better that way.

OP
S

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
Two weeks in, I can report ZERO DEFECTS with the S Type R. I am very impressed with the interior quality, something that previous S Types were deficient in, IMO. The car is FAST, handles well, and at 4000 pounds feels very substantial. And who can say that any other brand has the looks of the Cat?

OP
S

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
Five weeks in. Car is perfect. A stealth machine. Blows away E55s and all BMWs except M5. Transmission is fabulous. Interior is luxurious. No excuses for the Jag. Not one defect.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Five weeks in. Car is perfect. A stealth machine. Blows away E55s and all BMWs except M5. Transmission is fabulous. Interior is luxurious. No excuses for the Jag. Not one defect.<hr></blockquote>

Email me a picture I can post.

Bas