• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Used XK8

JW

Freshman Member
Do we have any XK8 owners out there? I have
recently discovered these gorgeous cars have dropped in value down to what I would concider to be a bargain! I dont know if there is a glut on the market or what the reason is but, I am seeing the 97 year model cars offered for sale at less than $30,000! These cars sold new for almost $70,000. Does anyone know if there is some sort of problem with these cars? Or, possibly high maintenance costs that would cause such a drop in resale value? I wonder if there is still a fear in the general public of buying a used Jaguar that is out of warranty?
confused.gif
I thought I would see what kind of feedback I get before I rush out and buy a car that I will be disapointed with. Can anyone enlighten me?
cheers.gif
:JW

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: JW ]</p>

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
I think the pricing is in line with normal depreciation. Obviously have the car gone over by a competent mechanic..

Jaguars usually run a few points below other brands due to long gone past history before the XK8 was even built....I believe the XK8 to be among the most beautiful cars..and a great car to own..

The one great part of Ford purchasing Jaguar was that it forced higher quality supplier parts to be integrated into the Jaguar production cars..

The bottom line became...screw with Jaguar..was screwing with Ford...No supplier would ever want to risk quality control issues and then meet with Fords wraith..I'd feel comfortable buying a second hand Jaguar that checked out.

A good option is to try and grab a nice extended warranty from a reputable company if you. I would probably consider it down the line just for the peace of mind. I have one on my 99 Corvette that I've owned since new..thats been problem free..just for the peace of mind..I took the highest deductable..because..I doubt I'll ever need it..the cars been that good..I've thought about grabbing an XK8 for the wife..but although the Jag XK8 is her favorite car..with a kid..shes' still doing the practical SUV thing..so I haven't gone for it..but I've certainly considered it as you mentioned..Tons of great deals..!

What color and what options..

Is it a coupe or convertible..

One other thing to remember ..the used car market is in a terrible slump right now due to financing deals as well as leasing deals given on new cars..

Best time to buy a used car..

As a reference..a friend of mine just picked up a 40K mile Lexus SC400 .. I believe it was a 98..

He just picked it up for 25,800 for his daughter..

So the 30 for the jag is inline and not something to be overly concerned about..

I'd suggest having a mechanic go over it..its the worth the few dollars for a peace of mind..

The XK8 is a truly stunning car that is rarely abused by its owner. JMO

Let us know how you make out.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: JBsC5 ]</p>

OP
J

JW

Freshman Member
No, I chickend out.
nonod.gif
I had someone tell me that there were a lot of problems with the 97 yr model. He wasn't specific but, I think I'll wait a while longer. See how the market goes and do some more research.
JW
cheers.gif

RJM

Freshman Member
Don't believe what you hear about problems with the 97 models. I owned one for 4 years and never had a problem. I'd still have it if I hadn't rolled it one icy morning....