• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Moving Gas Tank

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I was thinking about how often I drive with someone in the car and the way the weight is distributed and then realized that the car was designed with the steering wheel on the right hand side but changed for the US market to the left.

So would it make sense to move the next heavy item in the car to the other side as well to help with performance. What is the next heavy item that is mounted to one side of the car? Correct that gas tank when full it quite heavy and all the weight sits on the left hand side along with the driver.

So here is my question. Would moving the tank to the other side help with balancing the car? Has anyone ever tried moving the tank?
Tom

V

vagt6

It shouldn't be that hard to do, Tom, but I have often thought that the location of the fuel tank is pretty dangerous. Let's not think of what would happen to the tank in a rear-end collision.

MOving the tank would require patching up the fuel filler neck hole on the rear valence, and cutting a new one of the other side, unless you wanted a really long filler neck and hose to the tank. Seems like a big project, maybe not worth the effort to me.

As such, one GT6 mod that was top on my list (but I never did) was a fuel cell, which could be easily located anywhere in the back.

Just rambling here, I hope it's useful!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great question, Tom. I've often wondered about weight distribution, and wasn't aware that the GT6 had its tank offset. The TR3 and MGB are centered, as is the battery in the TR3, and most MGB's had two 6-volt batteries, I assume for that reason.

Don't know how much effort it would be to move it, but sounds like something to consider, as long as there's room for it. Guess the other question would be whether it would be worth the trouble.

Mickey

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi all.
This has been talked about with the Sports 6, The tank is on the LH side along with the driver, On Heralds and Sports 6's there is a little 1/4-3/8" spacer between the left front coil and turret...Er, uh I think thats what its called, The thought is to give it a little extra highth for the added weight on the LHS.
Sorry I dont have a part #, Its only been found in few catt.
Just a thought

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Interesting idea; I don't like the notion of the gas tank beoing to one side because its weight changes depending on how much fuel is in it, affecting the balance of the car.
On the other hand probably not as much as having or not having a passenger, since gas weighs 10lbs. per imperial gallon, and its a small tank.
I would think about moving the battery might be easier.
Simon.

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
On the GT6 the battery is in the front on the passanger side. Being the tank holds 11 gal. and the weight of the tank I am guessing 150lbs. full. Maybe moving it to the middle would be better but I don't know about the spare then.