• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Moving on to the generator

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So after I got my car started last night I went on a little spin through my town. It was dusk, so I had the headights on. After maybe 20 minutes or so of driving about I noticed that the ignition light was on. Turning off the headlights didn't seem to help, nor did revving up the engine a bit. I did notice when I first started the car that the light didn't go out right away. A quick blip of the throttle seemed to make it turn off, though.

I'm going to run through the generator tests listed in the shop manual tonight, but does anyone else have any good tests to run? I figure to also test the battery and make sure it is in good shape.

Also, does anyone know what sort of grease to put in the little "oiler" dohickey on the early style generator? Manual says to use a "high melting point grease"--is this the same as I will use to grease the various zerks on the chassis?

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drew,

Check all your connections first (generator to control box, etc.). I know on my car, things are pretty tight, and I've knocked the wire loose from the generator to the control box while messing around with something else on that side (like the distributor). I usually don't notice it until I start the car up and see the ignition light stay on.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The charge problem will likely be the brushes and/or the commutator. Generator brushes are a cheap, easy fix. Use red ScotchBrite to polish up the commutator, put in a new set of brushes and Tunebug will be happy again.

As for the grease, I'd say LubriPlate, but best to get other opinions.

EDIT: WallyMart carries Castrol "Marine Bearing Grease" in tubes on the shelf... that'd also be a good one.

D

Deleted member 3577

You should have a 2 bobbin control box.

Try cleaning the contact points on the left (voltage regulator) relay.

Use tuner cleaner and glass paper.

Sometimes that does the trick.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Control box... good thing you guys are payin' attention. I sure wasn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

Yes the famous Lucas control box.......

The only thing less reliable than the Lucas flasher relay.

I'm often checking over my shoulder to verify blinky-blinky.

And I watch my ammeter like its the coolant temp gage at a nuclear power plant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Use tuner cleaner and glass paper

[/ QUOTE ]

Showing my ignorance once again--what would these 2 items be? Glass paper I assume is some sort of sand paper, but tune cleaner?

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll have plenty to look at when I get home after work.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello droo,

glasspaper is what carpenters use to sand woodwork. Normal engineering abrasive cloths and papers are not really suitable for electrical maintenance as the abrasive gets into the works.

Alec

Morris

Yoda
I know everyone may think I am a sacrelige, but why not chunk that generator and get you a nice, off the shelf alternator.

Generators suck.

D

Deleted member 3577

Try just the tuner cleaner first.

It can be purchased at a store that services electronics.
(Radio Shack tuner cleaner sucks)

Or you could use Automotive electrical motor cleaner.
And ask the guys at Napa if they have any points cleaning paper (1000 grit or finer)

Country flag
they're quaint... like a bugeye.

I, however, have switched to an alternator since I drive a midget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]

Generators suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes but....Can you fix your alternator roadside, with a rock & a stick? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
To the contrary, Morris: They're nearly infintely renewable! Bearings are about six bucks, brushes about the same. If it fries due to a problem upstream it'd be nasty but I'll live with the "danger". I've a rebuild "kit" inna glovebox!

I think you mistook the smogpump for the generator makin' that sucking sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm strangely happy that my car still has the generator and + ground. If nothing else, it makes it easy to use the factory manuals/diagrams since everything still matches up. As long as the car charges, I'm happy. I've no plans to run anything but the basic electrical stuff (lights, gauges, engine, etc.--no radio or other extras) so don't need the extra output of an alternator. Fussing with this old, funky stuff is part of the fun for me. I'm working towards reliability, but I expect it to take a while. Always some little bit to sort out, especially at the beginning.

Heck, I've still got a 948 and drum brakes. Just part of the charm for me. Now I could see some day building a hot box Sprite with a 1275, 5-speed, supercharger, discs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just find a "needy" Lotus Elan and save a lot of grief!

Elans used to be called: "Super Spridgets!"

EDIT: Well, mebbe a little "less grief."

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
When it comes right down to it, one old car is just about the right amount of tinkering for me. I'd get confused with more than one! A speedy LBC would be fun, but I won't give up the Tunebug, or my hopefully-soon-to-be motorcycle. So I'll just keep puttering away on what I have and be happy for it.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
... although, if I someone handed me an Elan, or a Caterham Seven, or an original Mini Cooper S, I wouldn't turn it away! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
mehheh... well, I've the willpower of a RAT, so one of ~anything~ is about like an appetizer to someone starving... Just ain't enuff THERE somehow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

I'm seriously thinking Europa.....

It would be a luxury car next to the Elva....Heat,weather-resistance & even a dome light.....WOW

Got to get rid of the DeLo first.....Only have space for 2 cars in the garage.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Sadly, garage space never hindered me, I see it, I want it, I buy it.

Then I look like the guy in the Home Depot parking lot who is driving a Maxima with 10 60lb bags of cement and 20 2x4x10's.

duh