• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 on Bring a Trailer

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
DNK said:
Why is it called a Spitfire GT6 Project?

As he said.

Plus more hits on a Google search. They made a lot more Spits than GT6s. And we all know the GT6 is just a hardtop Spitfire with the right engine.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
spitfire roadster? I thought roadsters were convertibles, and to be more acurate, convertibles that never converted (had no top)

And I realized that it was the 70s, but why paint a RED car BROWN. If t were an original color, it wouldnt be bad. Brown is coming back in style. But to paint an original red brown, well, thats a resellers nightmare.

And california car since 74... ...why is this a selling point? CA has humidity, salt water, and snow. Also, where was it the first 6 years? Up north? My car has been in AZ since 67, and since 07, TX... ...THATS a selling point. I will never understand why people seek out the CA cars.

Not saying its not a bad deal, the price is right, still, just things Ive noticed.

billspit said:
DNK said:
Why is it called a Spitfire GT6 Project?

As he said.

Plus more hits on a Google search. They made a lot more Spits than GT6s. And we all know the GT6 is just a hardtop Spitfire with the right engine.

Pretty smart... ...people looking for a spitfire may be interested in this. I would just mention the heritage involved. Get my keywords in that way, rather than look like an idiot

Andrew Mace said:
...and, as someone finally noted under the comments, the car is a '69 GT6+, not a '68.
Maybe it was built in 68 as a 69 model?

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
And california car since 74... ...why is this a selling point? CA has humidity, salt water, and snow. Also, where was it the first 6 years? Up north? My car has been in AZ since 67, and since 07, TX... ...THATS a selling point. I will never understand why people seek out the CA cars.

Well, Cal is a big state with an amazingly diverse climate. If you are looking at a SoCal inland car I'd think you'd have a hard time finding a better place to buy a car. It also has a lot to do with the life the car lived, I've seen lousy cars from New Mexico and great cars from upper NY State.

The sheer size of the Cal market also makes it a great place to look. I have friends from back East who email me daily with stuff they find here that have long-long since rotted away elsewhere in the country.

And it's not like all of Texas is humidity free...

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
tdskip said:
And it's not like all of Texas is humidity free...

Okay, rub it in why don't you Tom? :smile:

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR4nut said:
Okay, rub it in why don't you Tom? :smile:

There, there Randy. Don't take it personally. If it makes you feel better we make up for it with earthquakes...

And, this was a Cal car.

Bugeyecockpitfloors9-13-093.jpg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
Andrew Mace said:
...and, as someone finally noted under the comments, the car is a '69 GT6+, not a '68.
Maybe it was built in 68 as a 69 model?
I suspect that's the situation. But cars are usually (and best) referred to by model years, which were rather more rigidly defined after the advent of Federal safety and emissions regulations. (Not like "the old days," when a "leftover" car could be sold as the current model year.)

mikecyc72usa

Jedi Trainee
I had a 1970 in this color and it was the factory paint. It was crazy fast. Then I had a 1969 with wire wheels and overdrive that was white (and assembled on April 1st!) which had documented history since new. I was the third owner back in 1996. Interestingly, the inside of the hood had red paint below white. Found it by throwing a fan belt really hard. Thought it was the belt, so I sanded a foot away for kicks and got red paint under several coats of white. Like I said on BAT, maybe they were using red as some sort of base to use up old paint? Not sure. If the hood was replaced on my car, it was done before it was sold. A guy in my Triumph club at the time was the salesman who sold it new, another guy owned it in the club, his son sold it to me. I think it's in Kentucky somewhere now. If the guy who bought it and my brown one didn't flip it yet like he did with my 1970.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom- The reason your car floor looked like that was the previous owner was a surfer who NEVER wiped his feet after boarding.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
mikecyc72usa said:
Then I had a 1969 with wire wheels and overdrive that was white (and assembled on April 1st!) which had documented history since new.
I believe the April 1 date you mention referred to the car meeting some Federal standard(s) as of that date, rather than it being a build date. Many, many TR250s, for example, have that same date on their commisison number plates, but they weren't all built on 4/1/68. The British tend to have a wonderful sense of humour, but.... :wink:

mikecyc72usa said:
I was the third owner back in 1996. Interestingly, the inside of the hood had red paint below white. Found it by throwing a fan belt really hard. Thought it was the belt, so I sanded a foot away for kicks and got red paint under several coats of white. Like I said on BAT, maybe they were using red as some sort of base to use up old paint?
Most Triumphs of that vintage seem to have used a very reddish primer underneath most all colors of topcoat, and that same very reddish primer for years "protected" all factory replacement panels sold. It's likely that primer you saw, rather than a resprayed Signal Red bonnet.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
Most Triumphs of that vintage seem to have used a very reddish primer underneath most all colors of topcoat, and that same very reddish primer for years "protected" all factory replacement panels sold. It's likely that primer you saw, rather than a resprayed Signal Red bonnet.

Ive noticed the same on my car. I wasnt too sure because I knew the car had been resprayed already once, and my engine block was red. It seems that the inside on my roof is that color, as well as the area on my hatch thats chipping away. I couldnt imagine them using that red rust proof primer back in the day, so I assumed it may have been painted red, then sanded very heavily but not completely bare metal before it was painted white.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
I am looking for a new hole to toss some bucks

think I will give it a shot

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TonyPanchot said:
I am looking for a new hole to toss some bucks

think I will give it a shot

Did your fire go out making it impossible to burn the money, so now looking for a hole to consume the money? I had to do something similar when the windows got locked in the full up position so I couldn't just throw it out the window...

Amazing how we all double down, eh?

Good luck with it!

Rob_T

I bought the car yesterday, and am hiding it at my brother in law's shop. The engine runs well and no rust in the floorboards. I need to check out the hydraulics still, at the very least a flush and bleed are needed. It looks to be a good driver with a little work!

Cheers,

Rob