• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

brake assist ... ?????????

pvergon

do you think the remote servo or booster units are worth the money? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif it´s been almost 8 yrs since i last drove my car and i do remember that the brakes were a bit dangerous back then cause only one side worked, now i have rebuild the whole brake sys and i´m thinking of buying a "remote servo unit" for braking improvement. My country has many steep hills and no speed limits also, which is why i tend to drive a bit fast!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

what do you think? and if i decide to buy one ... does anyone know were to buy a lockheed (or girling if lucky) remote brake sys, cheap!!!!! ... if there are any, i know VB sells them for $350.00 and i´ve quoted some in UK, including ebay.uk.co, but most of them really expensive, if anyone out there knows ... please let us (the ones interested in this theme) know.

thank you ... paul someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif my TR4A

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have only driven TRs without the booster but I haven't felt the need of one. I live on a mountain and it is a 20 mile twisty road with a 7,000' drop to go into town.

If I understand the booster's function, it would reduce braking effort but wouldn't necessarily give you "braking improvement".

Only changes I have made to the original TR4 setup have been semi-metallic pads, removal of restrictor valve and DOT5 fluid.

OP
P

pvergon

already have the DOT5 on it and what about the new slotted rotors, are they worth the money???? do they improve the braking???? is it more effective with the new type rotors, ventilated, slotted, etc ...

V

vagt6

Before you install a servo/booster, please be sure that your current system is in top order. If you have disc brakes, turn the rotors. Check your drums closely, if there's pitting or rust, get them fixed/turned.

If your stock braking system is in good order, AND the rest of the drivetrain is stock (i.e., no extra HP), the stock brakes do a fine job of stopping the car.

However, if the car is driven aggressively or raced/autocrossed a lot, a servo would prove helpful.

Personally, I wouldn't add anything else to my Triumph that could possibly break! Just one more thing to fix.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Paul if you reall want to up the braking why not go to the tr6 servo it should be an easy retro and super cheap...
MD(mad dog)

OP
P

pvergon

thank you MD, the truth is that i´ve quoted in GB, land rover, mini, ebay, everywhere and they are always expensive to buy, i will see into the TR6 advice ... your help is always really welcome, by the way, did you see that i finally installed the J-type overdrive on my TR4A, it´s been a real adventure, but i´ve had so much fun. can you send me your email again so i can share some pictures of my project? you´ve been really helpful, and i want to show you my project so far.